What new products do you want to see next century?

Chad Young

Here is a good discussion topic for your consideration. If you had a magic wand and could magically dispense wishes, what new handgun products would you like to see in the next century and why?

My list would include:
1. A cost-effective automatic in .30 carbine.
2. More revolvers that can shoot common auto calibers; i.e., 9mm and .45.
3. A good middle-weight revolver cartridge that duplicates the .40S&W in terms of performance.

What would be on your list?

A new type of congressmen and senators - ones that really work.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

There is a rumor S&W is going to make/market thier own Schofield for Cowboy shooters... that's way cool.

I'd like to see similar "retro" guns made with modern metallurgy..

say a 1917 Army model Smith?

say a stainless Colt 32/380 hammerless (it was a gov't contract gun so the blueprints should be in the public domain like the 1911 & the Model P)

I'd like to see savage make a magnum action reciever for big bores like 375, 416, etc.

I'd like to see Colt /HK owned by some one who was pro-gun as well as pro profit.

I'd like to see Browning /Ruger/Glock etc quit Kow-towing to the anti's wishes.

I'd like to see a RUGER DA "thunderer/lightning" style cowboy gun.

I'd like to see a return to reasonable prices in semi-auto rifles (post y2k this may happen)

I'd like to see a return of the Pasadena Auto Mag.

and.. mmmm maybe SOMEONE could build a stainless C-96 Mauser pistol??

But Hey.. i'm wierd that way.

Dr.Rob

I'd like to see rimmed cartridges for the 9mm,40 S&W,10mm and maybe even a new 30 cailber and good Smith revolvers of appropriate size to hold them.With good new calibers, revolvers could make a real comeback.

High performance N frames from Smith & Wesson. Ones that can handle plus P .44 Magnums and 454's (45000 to 50000 PSI). Call them P frames and use the V comp barrels from the Performance Center.

Robert

A Federal Medium Velocity (950fps) .44Mag load with a Nyclad 240grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter hollowpoint.

Smith and Wesson Mountain Guns in .45ACP/10mm/8-shot .357Mag without the extractor star hogged out for reloading.

AR-15's with the old style sights while retaining the case deflector and with a 1/12"barrel that is flush with a standard length tube.

Winchester Classic Stainless with peep sights and provision for either a receiver or barrel mounted scope in .243/.308/.30/06/.300WinMag. Detachable Magazine. Black T finish over the metal parts and an integral bipod....

A Device to make people realize the phallacy of thinking the Gov't can or will cure all your ills without totally controlling your life and leaving you with no individual rights...

A Device that would help many firearms owners realize that if we don't all stand together and fight for our rights we will all hang separately....

In the same vein - A Centennial pattern 9mm
from SW with an ejector device that avoids
the need of moon clips.

The Kahr Polymer 9mm to hit the stores.

A real thin 45 ACP Glock or Kahr with
7+1, polymer - stainless. The 36 is the same
size as the 19.

A SW 317 like gun in 22 mag, Centennial pattern, hammerless and a DECENT trigger.

A stainless smaller Schofeld in 38 SPL.

Well, I hope someone from the major manufacturers are reading this forum! I would love to see even half of these ideas go into production.

One thing I never could figure out is why no one has ever produced rimmed versions of popular auto cartridges so that one could use a revolver and still get the performance and price benefits of using popular auto ammo.

For example, I would love to have a revolver in a .40S&W or 10mm rimmed case. This way, I could either use regular auto ammo with moon clips or use the rimmed variants. I could see the 9mm Luger(rimmed) being an effective replacement for the .38 special. What do you think?

45 AutoRim was made around WW1 for the 1917 revolver...but that added yet another caliber to stock so the Army preferred half-moon clips...

From S&W, first of all I want square butt frames back on all revolvers with 4" or longer barrels. Then, I want to see the return of the model 18, an 8-shot N-frame Mountain Gun in .357 with a 5" barrel (I don't care if they call it a 627 or 628, but if it doesn't have the checkered topstrap and barrel rib, it should definitely be a 628), and a model 625 Mountain Gun, also with a 5" barrel.

As far as other handguns are concerned, I'd like to see an alloy frame Browning Hi-Power with factory Novak sights (plain black, thank you very much) in 9mm. Not going to hold my breath on that one though.

And I'd like to see Clark make an inexpensive hard plastic or nylon version of the Jerry Miculek revolver grip that they are currently selling in Goncalo Alves (similar to what Pachmayr did for Herrett's wood Jordan grips).

For rifles, I'd like to see Marlin make a version of their new stainless model 336M in .30-30 with a straight-grip stock and a conventionally rifled barrel. I'd also like to see the return of the 39M.

For new ammo, all I want is a reduced recoil or "tactical" (I'm starting to hate that word) 12 gauge #1 buck load with copper-plated pellets, preferably in a 25 round box. And I also wish the ammo makers would stop using those damn 20-round boxes for handgun ammo.

A double stack version of the Sig 210 that would take 226 mags and be priced under $1000.
Also an easier and faster way to clean guns (such as an affordable ultrasonic dunk tank).

A really slim glock. .40 or better. I mean something nice and slim and flat, if you've ever handled an AMT 3, you know what I mean.

A 10mm rifle.

The repeal of the '94 assault weapons bill (let us pray) - and all which would come with it.

A light, internal mag fed semi-auto in .223, under $350. Conceptually like an SKS.

A Thompson submachine gun in .400 cor-bon, or 10mm.

a truely superior optical dot sight for the carbine (AR15).

Ruger Varquero SS in .38-40 / 10mm

S&W L-Frame 5" 10mm

10mm (or 10mmMAG) carbine using pistol mags

a pump shotgun that uses a box magazine (i heard Mossberg had one in the design process, but i have heard nothing more since)

Benjamin, look real hard, u might be able to find the 10mm Auto Ordnance Tommygun. only 500 made so they r scarce.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

Affordable semiauto clones of the FG42 and Stg44 that used available calibers (FG42 in .308 using M14 or FN FAL mags, Stg44 in 7.62x39 using AK mags).
Scattergun Tech/ Bill Wilson to come out with an authentic reproduction of the USMC Remington 870 Mk I shotgun and the 7180 Mk I prototype (never adopted).
Semiauto only Stechkin pistols chambered in 9x19mm that could somehow be legal with the stock holsters w/o being a short barrelled rifle (as well as having their original capacity mags).
H&K coming out with the CAWS for civilians (semiauto only, but cool nonetheless).
Gene Stoner's AR-16 to be manufactured.

Some of these ideas have already been mentioned but I want to repeat them for emphasis because I like them (and a couple are my own):

Reduced recoil 12 & 20 gauge #1 buck load with copper-plated pellets

A pump shotgun that uses a box magazine (preferably from Rem.)

A really slim glock (9mm and .40)

More choices in good (consistent, expands reliably), inexpensive 147 gr. 9mm JHP ammo

An affordable AR15

A pump rifle (the Rem. 7600?) in .223

True recognition and enforcement of our 2nd Ammendment rights from all governing bodies in America

------------------
http://www.str.org/cgi-local/daily_commentary.pl

[This message has been edited by adad (edited December 31, 1999).]

A little common sense as far as a lot of the stupid gun laws would go a loooong way. I would love to be able to put a shoulder stock and suppressor on my Ruger Slab side Mark II with a 4X scope. It would make a dandy squirrel/rabbit/crow gun that wouldn't hurt my ears to shoot. Nice take down size that would stow easy in the trunk without the telltale long case needed for a rifle. I hate to have to open the trunk in a strange parking lot when I need to stow something in the trunk, only to have who knows who looking inside. I get a lot of chances during the course of hunting season where I end up the day with a couple of hours free time in some great hunting areas. Since the sight of a long hard case in the trunk can and does raise a lot of eyebrows, a briefcase size case or even a cardboard box would be just the ticket. It's a real pain to have to disguise the .22 rifle in a golf bag, just to avert attention. It's great to know the gvt encourages hearing loss and theft isn't it?

Back