what new powders are you experimenting with ?

I googled and found that there are a lot of threads on IMR 4064 vs Accurate 4064. It is definitely not the same powder and burn rates are slightly different. If it were me I would grab a few pounds and do a load workup using the Accurate load data charts.

https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

edit - looks like limited load data available, what cartridge you planning on using it in

Last edited:
hounddawg, Thanks! It is for .223 for an AR spacegun Service Rifle, as well as for the Garand. All indications are it is fine for the Garand.

I bought the IMR 4064 because I was running out of IMR 4895 for the Garand, and it worked like a charm - and found some IMR 4064 load data in the Sierra pamphlets for various weights of .223, and found it worked like a charm there, too. Have to weigh each charge for 300 and 600, but all that did was increase my confidence in the loads and reduce my SD (as measured by the ShotMarker).

As you noted, there is no .223 Rem data for AA 4064 in the Accurate .pdf so I was thrown off track.

I am not stupid enough to just try the same charge weights - they are, after all, different powders even if they have the same numerical designation. But having someone whose judgement and knowledge I respect tell me to go ahead and try it might be enough to push me over the edge.

It will not go to waste even if not good in .223; it is "known good" in Garand. Thanks!

Edited to add: ordered 8 lbs, I think it is worth a shot (pun intended) and, as stated, it is good for the Garand in any case (even in old LC cases).

Last edited:
the Ramshot Hunter thread got me to thinking. The shortages on a lot of our old standbys has us experimenting with other powders.

As I start to use up my H4350, 8208, Varget and 4831 SC I plan on trying several other powders such as several of the Vihtavuori as well as Shooter World offerings. Recently I have switched to TAC in my .308 to replace Varget and H322 in my .223's. Getting great results I might add.

So what new powders have you been experimenting with or plan on trying in the near future to replace your old standbys?
Even pre-shortage, I had pretty much switched to Staball 6.5 in most of my stuff. That's the best powder ever to be manufactured if it is the right burn rate for your application.

Local shop finally got primers, powder and bullets in stock, (since I moved and cannot run my lead pot right now), and I bought some HS-6 to try with 9mm. I haven't actually LOADED any yet, but I have it to try. Never used it before.

not a powder but I have been having great success with the Barnes Match Burner bullets. I used to like nothing except Bergers and SMK's with Nosler for practice rounds but began using the Barnes and like them as well as the high price bullets

not a powder but I have been having great success with the Barnes Match Burner bullets. I used to like nothing except Bergers and SMK's with Nosler for practice rounds but began using the Barnes and like them as well as the high price bullets
I have also been having great luck with the Barnes Match Burner bullets.

Back