What music are you listening to when shooting?

Music while shooting? Why?

That would be like those on the scenic hike & bike trails looking at their phone or yakking away at them.

Whatever floats your boat though.

Ended up with Toto, Enya, Nirvana, and Twenty One Pilots, today, by selecting the "most played" playlist and hitting 'shuffle'.

Ironically, the guy down the range from me was on a conference call on speaker phone, while testing some .338 WM handloads. So I turned down the ambient volume for a little while.

I am sure that my crack-crack-crack with .22 LRs and banging away with a suppressed big bore were far more of a distraction to the people on the other end of that phone call than the music or the phone call were to either of us.

He was shooting nice little groups at 100 yd, while I was dialing some scopes in at 50 for gnat's [behind] zeroes.

Ironically, the guy down the range from me was on a conference call on speaker phone, while testing some .338 WM handloads. So I turned down the ambient volume for a little while.

I am sure that my crack-crack-crack with .22 LRs and banging away with a suppressed big bore were far more of a distraction to the people on the other end of that phone call than the music or the phone call were to either of us.

He was shooting nice little groups at 100 yd, while I was dialing some scopes in at 50 for gnat's [behind] zeroes.

While I've never done it on a range, there are plenty of times I've put my phone on mute and completely ignored some stupid call that someone thought I needed to attend.

At the "gone but not forgotten" Silverado Canyon Gun Range way off Katella back in the day. It was all out door range. They had speakers on poles for the range officers to issue the cease fires. They had some little better than elevator music piped over them to soothe the savage beast, I guess. One day, the next tune up was Billy Strange "James Bond" Theme. I thought the Tet offensive was on!!!!. Oh yeah, the RO went nuts. circa 1973

Podcast, liked songs on my playlist, Red Dirt radio, or Jack FM. A little noise helps my focus, must be all those years in the military doing live fire and manuver ranges. You have to learn how to overcome the noise and other distractio to sort what is mportant to give and recieve orders.

I also have my own 100 yard range on my property. The public range near me is just dirt berms at 50, 100, and 300 yards maintained by the local Sheriff Office and owned by the DPW. There is no staff, targets, or benches 100% use at your own risk. Also why I built my private range.

I use bone conductive headphones and earplugs. I haven't found a set of muffs I like shooting a long gun with yet. I'm usually shooting suppressed as well.

Last edited:
Last trip to the range was, "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway".
But it is an incredibly boring audio book (and probably not much better to read), though a very thorough and informative book. It was actually distracting to me - not because the book wasn't processable, but because I wanted to pay attention to what I was hearing. I did not want to just have it as background noise.

So, I skipped back a few minutes while walking out to my targets and went to music. "Upbeat alternative" was the playlist of choice. What, exactly, was played, I do not recall. But it was mostly '80s, '90s, and early 2000s rock/alt, with a couple Pink Floyd songs mixed in.

Siss, Boom Bah.

But it might be hip hop b/c I cuss a bit when reviewing some targets...
:)

I thought that "Shattered Sword" read like Greek tragedy. All of the fatal flaws were built into the Japanese Navy ships and procedures before the battle began and the circumstances of the day just kept revealing them as the battle progressed. I usually find Naval history boring but that book was interesting to me.

I don't "listen" to music while shooting. Have done it, found I unconsciously tried to "shoot to the beat" and that just didn't work out well. :rolleyes:

I thought "Shattered Sword" was excellent, though it would suck as an audio book if you were doing anything other than listening closely.

First book I'd read that pointed out how the Japanese carriers were built inside and their methods of plane and ordnance handling. I always thought they were like ours, but they were quite different. That book showed quite clearly the Japanese focus on offense and their lack of consideration for handling battle damage and survivability, something that was part and parcel to US philosophy.

Back