What music are you listening to when shooting?

I guess I'm old school. I don't listen to music while shooting.

I typically shoot indoors, so I'm wearing earplugs and the heaviest db muffs I can find over those.

I save the electronic noise cancelling muffs for when I'm shooting at a range where I need to hear range commands, and I don't run any music through them.

My usual playlist.
Or an audiobook.

Bluetooth electronic muffs are a game changer for being on the range solo.
I don't have to just listen to the wind in the microphones. I can enjoy a book or some music, while still being able to hear a vehicle approaching the range or someone approaching me, without sacrificing hearing protection.

what?

When I'm shooting, my mind and focus is on shooting. No room for distraction or error with firearms.

But as far as metal goes, I like "Nightwish", with either Tara or Floor as lead vocal. Floor Jansen may well be the most talented female vocalist on the planet.

I don't listen to music when I shoot or reload. When I do listen to it it's anything from Swing to Metallica.

If music can distract you enough to be dangerous while shooting, perhaps you shouldn't own firearms.

If your focus and ability to remain safe are so marginal that you believe music might make you ND into the clubhouse or start shooting the bench next to you, you might want to reassess what you're doing - and maybe why you're doing it at all.
Sounds like the kind of mindset where you're be afraid to get bitten by a mosquito. You might shoot yourself in the head, after all...

POW-thwack-squeal
POW-thwack-squeal
POW-thwack-squeal
Drag-step
Drag step
Drag
More drag
Thunk of the tail gate
Rev of the engine
Rattle down the road

I've never imagined listening to music while shooting. Matter of fact, this is the first I've read / heard of such a thing. I'm too busy running my shot process in my head to listen to music. Also, If I'm not mistaken, listening devises are against the rules in competition. Not necessarily for the possible distraction, but for coaching the shooter.

When shooting? Nothing. Your gonna blow your ear drums out trying to out-volume gunshots.

Actually, it really isn't a problem with bluetooth enabled muffs or what I do is wear bluetooth earbuds under my muffs and listen at normal volume.

The sweet, sweet, ring of steel.
Seriously, my new Walker hearing protection are Bluetooth capable, and I use that feature as I can answer a phone call while on the line, if I absolutely have to...but I tried listening to music once, was VERY distracting. I think it might be good training in that you should have the most annoying Christmas music blasting at high volume so you can accurately simulate shooting in the mall...
I have an acquaintance who has extensive military and police experience and a highly qualified sniper...and he ALWAYS has one earpiece in listening to death metal. Gah.

If music can distract you enough to be dangerous while shooting, perhaps you shouldn't own firearms.

On the other hand, if shooting is so boring to you that you can listen to music during, it may not be an absorbing hobby for you.

Seriously, my new Walker hearing protection are Bluetooth capable, and I use that feature as I can answer a phone call while on the line, if I absolutely have to...but I tried listening to music once, was VERY distracting.

Part of the charm of shooting for me is that no telephone can reach me. I have electronic muffs, but I turn the sound off if there are people talking on the line.

On the other hand, if shooting is so boring to you that you can listen to music during, it may not be an absorbing hobby for you.
:rolleyes::D

I have electronic muffs, but I turn the sound off if there are people talking on the line.
When other people show up, I leave.
Eliminates the problem in a different way.

Hence my earlier note of, "...still being able to hear a vehicle approaching the range..."

My Walker BT electronic muffs have separate volume controls for Bluetooth and ambient sound. I can balance the music and ambient, so that both are at a reasonable volume but neither is lost to the other.
Keeps the mood where I want it. Last time, it was pretty hyped.

Picture a middle-aged white man with a greying beard, doing a kung-fu breakdance (ow, my back) on the firing line, between target checks. ;)

Yes, my Walkers have all kinds of volume adjustments, and so do the sending units, but after NEVER hearing music while shooting, it was jarring. So, I don't do it anymore.

FrankenMauser said:
When other people show up, I leave.
Eliminates the problem in a different way.

Hence my earlier note of, "...still being able to hear a vehicle approaching the range..."

I drive more than an hour to get to "mine", which is really the state's range, so I don't leave unless I think it's a safety issue.

Maybe I'm not operating with sufficient mental horsepower. When I'm on the line and finally all set up with spotting scope focused on the target, rifle put together, sling adjusted and ammunition and magazines positioned, I'm thinking about my need to focus on trigger press follow through, something that is never natural for me. When I get the rifle shouldered, I'm checking for natural point of aim. Is the sling tension wrong? Can adjust my position to make it right? I'm on the target and ready for the press. Now I have to diagnose how I (probably) messed up the shot. Did I tug it off center in anticipation, yet again?

I'm not thinking about deadlines or emails, or other peoples' problems. I'm reloading the magazine, replaying the five prior shots in my head, and thinking about how I won't make the same errors on the next target. It's genuinely absorbing for me in a way only a few other things are.

There's no room in all that for me to listen to music (as opposed to just hearing it) even if it were playing. I can't imagine hearing the famous part of the Queen of the Night aria as I'm deciding to press a trigger. It would be like bratwurst and ice cream -- two great things on their own.

I get that shooting is an activity people enjoy in many different ways. I don't mind the sound of clinking brass on the concrete, or the reset of my trigger, or other peoples' shots. When a couple of buddies show up to shoot and yell-talk to each other, it doesn't enhance my session. That's really my problem more than theirs.

FrankenMauser said:
Picture a middle-aged white man with a greying beard, doing a kung-fu breakdance (ow, my back) on the firing line, between target checks.

My friend, from one middle-aged man with a grey beard to another, no one has ever wanted to picture that.

I admit I'm a bit of an old fuddy-duddy; but when I want to be in a peaceful, serene state of mind nothing beats "I Ate my Family for Breakfast" by the group Kill Everyone in Sight.:rolleyes:

Back