What meats can you make from hunted animals?

This is what we do....
Processed deer....
Everything I can into tenderized steak..for chicken fried steak
The rest ground meat..for chili..spaghetti..etc...
Some deer meat is smoked for sausage...
Also breakfast pan sausage....

Pigs....
It's hard to improve on slow cooked BBQ pig....from 100 lbers on down....
Also make pan sausage....

As far as what cuts can be gotten from game. So long as it cooks on y'all's barbeque grate. It's all good!! A couple of Coors a dash of hot sauce everything wild caught always taste even better than expected. Those you catch with their nose in the air don't need to take up space at the table. Folks with that type of shown behavior need to Fast in my book.

Lessor cuts such as the neck roast have a dual purpose. I cook the whole neck in a big stock pot to make BBQ sandwich meat. The stock that is left behind makes great soup stock.

Round steaks are great for Swiss Steak or Stroganoff.

Ground that would be ear marked for burger works well for breakfast sausage.

Goose breast mixed 50/50 with pork makes great summer sausage or snack stick meat.

Deer burger substituted for ground beef and mixed with pork sausage/veal and other seasonings makes for excellent homemade meatballs for spaghetti's, meatball subs etc.

Mix up a batch of 60-70 and freeze them. ;)

Last edited:
One I like, is to supplement standard ol boring cold cuts..... with carved venison sammiches! Buddy of mine got an electric deli slicer and ran a boneless deer roast off like thin sliced deli ham. Little mayo, tomato, lettuces and onion out of the garden....cant beat it ;)

For months after deer harvest, everything you'd normally make with ground beef (meatloaf, burgers, meat sauces for pastas, chili, taco meat) we make with deer burger.

Feel like going a little south of the boarder? We like to do fried catfish tacos with pineapple salsa, chopped cabbage and some southwest ranch dressing. I'll trade boring taco bell for sitting up till 2am, with good friends, and a cold filtered beverage reel'n ol whiskers to produce said tacos any day of the week :)

Last edited:
Most Mexican food dishes can be made with any game meat. Although it's probably not commonly appreciated, the basis of traditional Mexican food is that it works with pretty much any ground or shredded meat. The spices provide a fairly uniform taste experience regardless of the protein source.

You can use game meat to make anything you use beef or pork to make, the fat content will be much lower so you may need to add some pork or beef fat.

Likely any processed/cured meats that are made started with game animals and then moved to farmed animals. You may need to mix a lot of farmed meats in to the recipe to get the flavors that your used to. We make italian style sausage every year and its 2/3 pork, 1/3 venison. Some friends of the family used to make a fantastic venison salami, we would hang in the garage for about 2 months to dry.
Something to consider if it hasnt been mentioned. You can get some pretty serious food born sickness if your not following known or published resipe's. Like mushroom hunting you need to work with people who know.

"fantastic venison salami"

Volunteered with Pennsylvania Mennonites in NJ after hurricane Sandy. Great group of people. One generous gentleman offered venison salami which I accepted. After I had a few bites and stopped drooling I seriously considered not sharing the remainder with my brother. But I'm a good Boy Scout and did share.

Great lunch while working a project near my home in Louisiana. My crew sent me off to fetch Cokes and French bread. Lead equipment operator broke out a crawfish pot and propane burner. Vacuum truck driver hauled the venison chunks and homemade roux. In about one hour we feasted on the best Cajun venison stew I have ever tasted. Did I mention it was a beautiful spring day in a Point Coupee Parish field? Bonus.

Deer/Elk like the steaks and roast, rest for hamburger/breakfast sausage add pork and spices. If older bull he be made in hamburger/sausage/salami/jerky.

Wife's grandmother use to like neck meat for mincemeat pies for Xmas holidays.

I've been a "Natural Harvestarian" for almost a year now... I eat no meat except that which I have hunted or fished myself (or a friend has). It takes a gradual transition, but it's easy once you've done it (even if there's no deer or fish in the fridge).... I eat a lot of bean and cheese based tacos when the deer runs out. :) There are lots of reasons to do this.

I've been a "Natural Harvestarian" for almost a year now... I eat no meat except that which I have hunted or fished myself (or a friend has). It takes a gradual transition, but it's easy once you've done it (even if there's no deer or fish in the fridge).... I eat a lot of bean and cheese based tacos when the deer runs out. There are lots of reasons to do this.
I want to do this, however I have not had enough success to carry me over (or even close) so far. It looks like we will be raising a few chicken and buying a organic whole pig this year. Might make the difference in carrying us through the year.
A friend of mine never bought meat from the time his children were born. He decided to give them all a treat for New Years Eve and bought some very nice fillet mignon. The kids wouldnt eat it after the first taste.

Back