What magnification for long shots?

RC, I'm going to make a sweeping observation that [most]
all the folks that talk big game hunting at 500-1,000 yds do
very little -- if any -- of it in reality.

Personally, I found "ethical" on such targets means PointBlank
ranges (at most ±4"), or 300yds w/ the 375H&H -- my ballistic standard.

Beyond those bounds, you're pretty much guessing, without a lot of range-finding/-
meteorology/wind/electronics --- and tested (not calculated) ballistics beyond 300.

Last edited:
Why does this conversation always breakdown into one of ethics or “I don’t shoot long range, so you can’t either?...nevermind.

Thank you for your input....I see we have a lot of 3-9x shooters. That is fine, but 12x-16x has a lot of value to me when shooting over 300 yds.

Most of my hunting rifles have 2 or 3x on the low end and 7 to 12x on the top end.

For Deer and Pronghorn, I have used 3-9 mostly, 2-10 currently. Have used up to 20x (usually for 600+ yards). Last year, the far shot was a Coyote at 760 and I was on 13x, center punched him in the chest.

37 Elk, almost all have been with a 3-9x and ranged from 10 yards to 505 yards. Never felt 9x was not enough, but the one at 10 yards, I was on 9x and that was WAY too much. The ones that were not were open sights and under 100 yards with a pistol, 12g or Blackpowder.

I really like a good 2-7 or 3-9. While I like the 2-10, it is heavier than 20 ounces.

Why does this conversation always breakdown into one of ethics or “I don’t shoot long range, so you can’t either?...nevermind.

Thank you for your input....I see we have a lot of 3-9x shooters. That is fine, but 12x-16x has a lot of value to me when shooting over 300 yds.
There is a lot of value in having higher magnification like 12X to 16X but in West Texas depending on the time of year that I hunt going above 9X is not practical for me due to atmospheric conditions. In the summertimes the haze and mirage is so intense that using higher magnifications also magnifies the haze and mirage. When I target shoot I love using higher magnifications if atmospheric conditions allow it but in my type of shooting I love the higher magnification at short distances as all my rimfire rifles have high mag scopes and I shoot them at 200 yards.

Maybe my though's aren't valid. I do not shoot at big game over about 300yds, a non no to me. And I've never needed more than 4x to see the game well enough to shoot. On rodents the sky is the limit. Something like a sage rat your pretty much gonna hit or miss clean. Don't see bad shot leave many wounded sage rats unless your shooting a rimfire. What I find with the higher power is the higher the power, the more I can see my flaws and the worse I shoot! Take that sage rat outat 300yds, probably need min 9x just to see it in the first place. Then, for me anyway, I get to watch my heart beat! I have a rifle I used to like to shoot out to 500 yds at target's, haven't done it in a long time. I mount a 3-9x for hunting with it but to shoot at 500 yds I have a 4 1/2-14x. Sure can see my heart beat with it at 14x. But I used it mostly at max 8x and not much problem. First of all a big target really seem's to help, just don't notice the movement so much. I like that scope but wouldn't want to carry it hunting, big sucker and I'd probably leave it on 4 1/2x and never move it in the first place.

Something I noticed at shorter ranges is that if the aiming point cover's over by the cross wire's I actually shoot better, seem's to eliminate the wobble in me, at least hides it. Get a larger aiming point I can't cover and I see the wobble again. I would suspect the same thing's happen at longer range and maybe to much power will actually handicap you. Without doubt the better you can see the better you should be able to shoot but also I think the more you see the worse you shoot! Your gonna have some wobble at any range but not noticing it really helps me!

Back