what lubricants and preservatives for infrequently used guns?

Another vote here for CLP. An active service buddy brought me some from the base some years ago there was no turning back.

Some guy with way too much money and much too little inhibition actually purchased a dozen or so oils and preservatives and tested them against each other. It might help to take advantage of his research.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation

My only personal experience was leaving my modest collection of blued, Parkerized, painted and 'in the white' project guns in a non-conditioned outdoor shed for three humid Georgia summers and three wet Georgia winters while I was stationed in Germany. I came back to find no corrosion or rust on anything, including the bare metal guns. I had cleaned and lubricated with Eezox before storing them.

(Eezox is a decidely UN-sexy gun preservative. It doesn't have fancy marketing or a splashy military-themed advertisement on the product. It looks like someone designed the product decoration in their garage... while drunk.... and by candle light. But by dammm it works.)

^ Do your guns smell lemon fresh?

Well, yes. They do. Quite pleasant when you first open the safe actually.

I started off putting "Pledge" on shotgun stocks many years ago. From there it was easy to just wipe the whole gun down with it. Works just fine in my experience. It did a good job on my bass fishing rods and reels also.

Most anything else will also of course. My grandfather used "3 in 1" oil for many years on his Parker and A.H. Fox shotguns.

For guns that are going to sit a while and not get used I like grease, though I use grease for most all my guns, specifically a moly grease. Unlike oil grease does not run and stays put. As far as oil Mpro7 is and Hoppes Elite is the best I have found, most other oils are too thin for my taste.

Back