what lubricants and preservatives for infrequently used guns?

I can see that you wouldn't want to slather on cosmoline if you are shooting them a few times a year. I think any lube followed by a wipedown with a silicone-impregnated cloth would do if you store the guns in a safe with a dessicator and if you clean the guns after each use.

Breakfree CLP. The stuff for SS firearms with extra Teflon in it. Before I go to the range I field strip, inspect and relube if I have not shot a gun for months. Found a cockroach in the barrel of a 1911 once. Probably would have been O.K. to shoot it. Maybe the soul of an ex 1911 owner died happy.

StrongArm

StrongArm Brand.
Been using it for a number of years and still not sure what it is as it claims to do "everything". Not only will it remove rust, it will coat metal to give it a protective coat. Not only that, they claim you can safely use it on stocks and leather. I have had a raw white metal M/L barrel hanging in my shop for about a couple of years with no signs of rust. I don't peddle this stuff, just use it ... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

If you keep the guns in a clean and dry place, I don't think it matters. I look at my long guns that I keep in a wormy chestnut gun cabinet every year or so and they look just like they did when I put them there about 15 years ago. When I inspect them, I will rub a thin coat of whatever oil I have handy. I think the secret is DRY and CLEAN. My handguns live in my little safe with the moisture absorbing things. I shoot them fairly often but they never show that they have been stored.

RIG grease. I have stored guns in places that weren't all that dry for periods of time without any problems. I have been absolutely amazed by it. It isn't very expensive either.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...ntion/rig-universal-gun-grease-prod31842.aspx
I think I have one jar that is 90% full after about 5 years and 4 or 5 of the sheepskin applicators. One by the safe, one in range box, one for non-firearm tools and one more floating around somewhere.

A low humidity - dry place is all you really need...along with most any lube.

I like Break Free CLP
Rig #2 spray oil ...( for a light oil )
Wilson's Ultima Lube

for heavy use areas - like the hinge pin on an Over Under shotgun Rig Grease.

Something that will emulsify the moisture and lubricate...I use Ballistol. It will grab tiny droplets (not disperse water) and lubricate at the same time. All other oil-based lubricants disperse water that can create rust it cannot reach. A friend placed 6, 20-penny nails in a mason jar filled and capped with water. He also placed 6, 20-penny nails in a mason jar filled and capped with a mixture of 10% Ballistol and 90% water. Two weeks later he checked the results...

The 100% water had rusty nails, whereas the 10% Ballistol jar were as pristine as the day he capped them.

Ballistol cleans and lubricates and creeps into crevices.

Don't know what part of the state you are from (yes, it matters) but from a fellow south Texan, just for a preservative and rust preventative, you can't get much better than plain old WD40. It is a terrible lubricant, but you gotta go a long ways to beat its qualities as a rust protectant.

I have been using it for just that for dang near 45 years, even my muzzle loaders like it.

Here is a link to controlled tests that are objective. As someone else suggested Mobil1, take a look at its results.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Last edited:
Back