What lubricant is NO good

Froglube is garbage. We used them on range guns when we first got a hold of them, in order to help sales of it. We'd say "we use it one our guns!" but nope.. Didn't happen. Our high round count Glocks would jam up like crazy. We (I) cleaned them up by soaking them in breakthrough overnight, lubed it up with fireclean and they were back to running like Swiss watches again. In double the time frame we had to clean them from the froglube due to malfunctions.

So that's a big no no.

Second one I'm personally against, very against, is any spray "CLP".

They're a lazy way to lubricate a gun.
You get lube where it doesn't need to go, which means carbon will stick to parts it otherwise wouldn't be sticking to.
It evaporates off much quicker when it's hot.
It runs off much faster when being carried.

I mainly use grease on 90% of my firearms.

Brian Enos "Slide Glide" with different a viscosity depending on the application. For my AR's I use Fireclean.

Going to close

After reading several posts I figure I can add a little coconut oil to my Pina Colada and have CLP.
Think about it............

"I found Brylcreem is too messy. It's kids stuff."

Have you tried this?

Attachments

• greasy kid stuff.jpg
    greasy kid stuff.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 12
Well, I once had an old man bring me a pre-war Woodsman to clean that he had lubed with Wesson oil. I can tell you THAT'S no good.

WD 40 is an extremely useful product, if you are smart enough to know how it should be used.
There in lay the secret.
Despite all of the old wives tales about it containing fish oil and other such bogus nonsense I use it religiously on all of my firearms, and have done so for a few decades with NO ill effect or failure.
Understanding that it is NOT the best lubricant for firearms, nor has it ever claimed to be.
But the area that it does shine when we're talking rust prevention, it shines head and shoulders above the masses with few exceptions. It does this at a price point that virtually none of it's competitors can even begin to touch.

My two cents and I get to spend them the way I wish, but I really would suggest that the nay-sayers do a little research before passing it off as 'carp' oil when it comes to firearms. These links might help get you started.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12616/guntechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

The first is from a source that I think all of us can trust, the second I suggest reading in it's entirety as it is truly informative.

Woops... I should've read the whole thread and not duplicated the link, sorry.

Last edited:
Reading the OP and understanding the english language is also extremely useful Bill. :rolleyes:

While I have WD40, and use it in several applications, it is not an appropriate lubricant. Water, and sand are lubricants...in some applications, but I still don't use them on my firearms for lubrication, even though I have used both for various firearms related tasks.

I read and understand very well.
I also work on guns and knives. LOTS of knives, and I have for many years.
Here's something for your comprehension- the "lubricant" in WD 40 is mineral oil- the same mineral oil that is in 95% of the gun oils.
While WD 40 is thinner than many oils, it is nevertheless a lubricant. If you understand how and when to use it, WD 40 is pretty good stuff to have around.

Sometimes when it rained a lot many cars would not want to start because of condensation in the distributor cap. One solution was to remove the cap, spray WD-40 inside, wipe it out, reinstall, start the car.

WD = Water Displacement

I was just curious. The MSDS doesn't contain anything that looks like mineral oil, but then I'm not really an expert when it comes to trying to unravel the CAS numbers. It clearly does contain some products that qualify as lubricating oil.

I thought maybe you had a source that I wasn't able to find.

"Mineral Oil" can not be inferred from "petroleum distillates."

The US changed to SDS and WD-40 updated theirs in 2015.

Contains: Naphtha (petroleum), hydrodesulfurized heavy; 1,2,4-Trimethyl benzene; 1,3,5-
Trimethyl benzene; Xylene, Mixed Isomers; and Surfactant

Anyone ever use lithium or high quality marine grease? I wondered if a small amount on a bolt or slide rails would be a good or bad idea.

Back