What long range LA caliber?

Some good ideas here but some are borderline in their validity. Roy Weatherby once famously stated that the best hunting round would be anywhere 6.5mm to 7mm. His .270 round at .277 is almost exactly 7mm. The Remington 7mm mag (.284) is the long action round that you want for flat long distance shooting but you'll need to change to a magnum bolt face.

Since you are putting a new barrel on the 30-06, I understand why you are specifying long action but there are still many options available to you. Keep in mind what Roy Weatherby said, the guy was pretty sharp.

Just for info, my long range rifles are a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .300 WSM and a McMillan G30 (SA) Dynasty in .270 WSM. My backup is my Win Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 and the one with the most kills is a pre-64 Model 94 Winchester in 30-30 with iron sights.

Don't forget to save some cash for Optics, next to caliber they are the most important item for your rifle if you're going long.

Last edited:
JM40, you need to re-check your 270 Data.

Out of my 24 in Model 70, using Hornady 150 Gr (IB or SST), my MV is 2874 FPS

It doesnt go sub sonic until 1550 yards, Drop at 1000 is 26.9 Min, and the 10 MPH FV wind correction is 6.6 Min.

The New Horn 145 Gn ELD-X is suppose to be better but I havent tried it yet.

The 270 Win, (now that there are better bullets on the market) is an extrememly good long range Hunting or Target round.

In talking to the Hornady engineers, I was told their bullets work (as hunting bullets) quite well to about 1600 fps.

My loads (measured several times on the Lap Pro Radar) tell me my remaining velocity of 1600 FPS is just beyond 900 yards, meaning it will compete with any of the long range hunting rounds out there at reasonable ethical hunting ranges.

We all have our favorite rounds that work well based on our expierence, but before we can condem one's choice, we really should do the math.

If, for hunting where deer size animals would be the largest, dont discount the 243 Win. I built my wife a 243 on a Model 70 long action and she picked up a nice mulie year before last at 547 yards. Personally my light rifle is a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts, but I will admit her 243 is a bit more accurate.

Don't discount the 6.5 CM. The last couple years I've been playing with them and I'm quite impressed, both for long range Target and Hunting. Granted both my 6.5s are SAs but my main target rifle is a LA Model 70 in 308 Win. If the 308 will work in a LA I see no reason why the 6.5 CM wont.

The only thing wrong with the 6.5 CM I've found is I havent got a Model 70 6.5 CM YET.

Red Devil,

6.5-06 is no longer a wildcat. A-Square did the SAAMI approval on it.

Thanks S. I probably knew that once.

Point being that, currently, neither Factory rifles nor ammunition is being manufactured for it, and A-Square itself is defunct.

Custom/handload proposition.

A 1:8 twist rifle in 260 REM would be as nicely in a short action.

Red

Last time I check Berger is making 170gr bullet for the 270.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/introdu...-elite-hunter/

Matrix is making 165gr hunting bullet for 270's, they are little hard to get.

You may not see that 170gr bullet in a match.

OR, don't think a 1:10 twist barrel would stabilize a long 170 gr. ELD bullet out very far... if at all.

A custom barrel/twist would do the trick.

Might blow it out to an A.I. as well, to help keep the muzzle velocity over 2800 or so.

Red

SAs but my main target rifle is a LA Model 70 in 308 Win
I think this might be a typo, I think the .308 is considered a short action round with it's 2.80 COAL. In the AR world it requires a large frame (AR-10) but in the bolt action world to the best of my knowledge it is a short action round.

SAs but my main target rifle is a LA Model 70 in 308 Win

I think this might be a typo, I think the .308 is considered a short action round with it's 2.80 COAL. In the AR world it requires a large frame (AR-10) but in the bolt action world to the best of my knowledge it is a short action round.

No sir, its not a typo, it is a Model 70 LA chambered in 308 Win. A target rifle I obtained from the CMP Auction Site.

DSCN0101.JPG

It was after the period this rifle was made when they started making the Model 70 in SAs. Well after USRAs took over Winchester. Not sure of the exact date.

I'm with the .270 Win. But many different calibers will get you there. Watched a video of .45-70 reaching out to 990 yards.

Heck a long action 308 isn't nearly as bad as my wife's Savage 110 in 223 Rem!!
Could have been worse i guess..
Coulda been a 110 in 9mm Luger. :eek:

Oh, and Hooligan1,
If ya send me a PM, then unlock yours so i can message you back. Lol

Last edited:
Back