What loads do you use for bear season?

I'll be trying to call some this weekend, again. I'll be on back-up with my shotgun, which I won't use unless absolutely necessary. It's archery season, though technically I am also hunting mountain lion (yeah right) and coyotes. The slug makes a mess of coyotes. My buddy will be on the bow, and I will be on the call. The shotgun will also be good if we see some grouse :). During the rifle season, if we can't bag one or two during archery, I'll be on the .270 with some of those new fangled GMX bullets. I figure that should work. My dad has killed one with a bow. I have yet to connect. We can't hunt over bait and dogs are only allowed during the rifle season.

I've never hunted bear intentionally but there is a season here and there's a few around. If I saw one, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it with the same gun I'd be using for deer. Those choices are, 7mm-08 in 15" Encore Pro Hunter loaded with 110gr Barnes TTSX, .243AI loaded with 80gr Barnes TTSX or Hoyt Katera XL loaded with 315gr Victory arrows topped with Slick Trick broadheads.

Drew a permit to hunt them in western Md. this year. I plan on useing my Marlin 375 Winchester, handloaded with 36 gr of RL7 under a Hornady 220 gr bullet. Should do nicely.

Magnum Research BFR in .450 Marlin works for me with Bear & Elk, the revolver is PLENTY good out to 100 yards!

I've killed 4 with standard Remington Core-Lokt 180gr pointed soft-points in 30.06. All 4 deader than doornails, no more than a 10 yard death sprint.

Also killed one with a 70lb bow, and a Thunderhead 125. 40 yard death sprint, also deader than dead.

Shot placement is important. While I agree that most deer loads will work, I'd also remind you that bears can vary greatly in size. Where I hunt in Maine, 200lb bears are common, but 4-500 pounders are not unheard of. Go with a good, stout load, and don't take a chance.

Again, placement is everything -- as with all big game hunting.

Back