What kind of milsurps do you mainly collect?

Ky_Collector

I started out with a 1942 Tula Mosin 91/30 and 1946 M44 Mosin. I then caught the sickness. :D

I started concentrating on Mausers. I currently have the following:

1934 Mauser Banner rifle straight bolt non-matching
1943 Mauser BYF43 rifle bent bolt non-matching
1945 Mauser DOU45 rifle bent bolt non-matching
Czech Mauser VZ-24 rifle
Yugo Mauser 24/47 rifle
Spanish Mauser FR-8
WWI Mauser shotgun conversion Pretty cool history. It was converted from a rifle to a 12 gauge shotgun.

Hopefully, I will be able to add the Israeli Mauser to my Mauser collection since it does have a lot of history behind it.

I'm trying to get a complete set of German carbines 1843 to 1945 (not minding picking up the occasional full length rifle)
So far I found
1871 Gew and Kar
1888 Kar
1898 Kar k
Working on
1898 Kar AZ
1898 Kar B
The big problem of course is getting a decent Zuendnadel rifle, the prices for those are pretty crazy. Ditto for the class III

Nothing in its original military configuration.

Spanish Mauser
F.N. Colombian Mauser
G 33/40 Mountain Rifle
No.1 MK III Enfield
Smith Corona 1903A3

I'm pretty much into USGI surplus rifles (Garand, M1903A3&A4, M1917, US Krag, and Carbine.)

I do have a couple foreign guns but nothing to speak of.

I'm to old to worry about collector value, so mine are all shooters. CMP GSM legal but shooters just the same.

It just sorta happened....

While I didn't start out with the idea of collecting milsurps, it just sort of happened that one day I noticed I had...

German:
Kar 98k (winter triggerguard)
Vz 24 (Czech, but I count it as German WaA pruf)
P.08 Luger (1936)
P.38 Walther (1942)

British:
SMLE 1917
SMLE (WW II)
Webley Mk VI 1917

Japanese:
a couple type 99 rifles 7.7mm

Russian:
91/30
M38
Tokarev SVT 40

US:
1911A1 (Remington Rand 1943)
Garand
1903 Springfield
1917 Enfield

M1A -semi auto M14 (not really a milsurp, but looks like one)

Also have a Swede M96 (1917) and a Norwegian Krag (1897)
:D

I collect a little bit of everything, I despise having more than one gun that does the same thing. in order that they were bought.
1. savage made enfield NO4 MK1*
2. 1944 Izzy 91/30
3. 1944 izzy 91/30(bought with the intention of sporterizing), it sucked, I sold it
4. springfield 1903-low serial number, pretty rifle, rarely shot it, ended up trading.
5. enfield number 4 T, built from a stack of parts, bought a 45ACP conversion for it, ended up being too much work so I sold it.
6. springfield 1903A4, bought as a barreled action spent a year restoring it, loved it, hated dumping more money into it, traded for numbers 8, 9 and a pile of cash
7. MAS36 loved it before I shot it, hated it afterwards, sold it.
8. type 99 arisaka
9. type 44 arisaka
10. swedish M41B mauser
11. M1 garand
12. type I arisaka
13. M95 striaght pull mannlicher
14. US model 1917.
15. long branch enfield number 4, got it as a bargaining chip, sold it because I needed money.
as you can see, I have very wide range of interests.

My only milsurp is a Bannerman frankenstein Mauser! Haven't been able to shoot it yet but I plan to clean it up and take it to the range.

My tastes have been decidedly European, since they seem to have historically had the most consistently diverse and interesting firearms scene since antiquity.

I have several Swiss rifles (K31's and STGW57, probably a K11 eventually). I'd like to add a centerfire Vetterli at some point, maybe a Swiss Peabody and a service revolver
I have been focusing intentionally on Czech guns since they have the strongest historical record of solid gun designs of practically any nation (need a VZ24 & VZ52 rifle, a little CZ27 pistol, ZK383, BREN 805, ZB39, and to get my ZB37, CZ26, and UK59 kits completed; then I'll probably be happy for a while). CZ52 pistol and a couple VZ58's keep me entertained nicely.
I'm growing my French guns collection, much to my surprise (Mle 1873 revolver, and more recently a Hotchkiss Universal SMG kit and Manhurin MR73 revolver). May have to add the MAS rifles at some point, and eventually a Hotchkiss Portative parts kit
I've got a few Belgian guns (P35 High Power, Lux FN49, and knock-off S&W Model 3). FNH Five-seven sort of counts as a milsurp, being an occasionally issued gun
I've just about got the Italian rifle set for the last century (MP38 kit, BM59, AR70. I really should get a Carcano and an M37 Breda kit, but I have too many cartridges and kits as it is to take on more. A PM12 would be neat to add, too. I'll be skipping the ARX for the time being, until they make the gun nicer)

No Chinese (a Type 56 clone of the Russian KPV kit sorta/kinda counts), no Japanese, and a smattering of other random kits (Madsen/Danish, M76/Yugo, DP28/Russian-Polish, PPSH41/Russian-Polish, BREN/English-Czech, SKS/Russian, Suomi/Finnish, Steyr-Hahn/Austria-Hungarian, MP34/Austrian, Swedish K/Swedish, G36/German). The comm bloc nations were so communal (go figure) that I'm not inclined to do much other than lump them into a single nation category; instead, I group them by the various designer/mechanical cliques that came into prominence (Degtyerev, Goryunov, Simonov, Shpagin, Kalashnikov, Vladimirov, Dragunov...Sokolov would be cool, but I doubt we'll see NSV kits anytime soon at the rate things are going)

Tell the truth, the closest thing to "logic" driving my collecting is lineage. I find a gun whose mechanical design I like, and I research what it was derived or inspired from, or what contemporaries it was competing with (like how the Madsen LMG shares a lot of traits with the Martini single shot, but is otherwise an island unto itself, yet still managed to compete directly with the BAR and BREN for decades. By contrast, the UK59 is a culmination of nearly a century of Czech weapons development, starting with the ZB37, progressing through the BREN, then wedding it's receiver layout VZ58 to make the UK59 universal belt fed). Sort of a "Wiki-walk" but for guns. It will probably make writing history and design books on them easier if I ever get to that point in life :p. Mostly they serve as inspiration for designs of my own that I want to build one day, so it helps to have as many jumping off points as possible.

TCB

I really need to buy some modern American rifles, simply because -no joke- my go to guns at this point are the STGW57 and VZ58. Maybe the AR70 and K31 as the runners up. I have complete faith they'd be reliable and all (because they are), but technology has progressed since the 1950's, so there's probably more practical options out there...

mine vary between bolt action & semi auto... one common theme is they all have wood stocks ( unless a Chinese SKS is considered a milsurp )... I guess my semi auto national match M-1 308 had a fiberglass handguard...

I'd still like to get an 03 Springfield, & a trapdoor, then I'd have the US rifles covered ( minus the AR, which I had one a while back, sold it off years ago, & went with the wood stock theme )

I don't 'collect' them but a few have come to me.

WW2 Yugo capture 8mm Mauser. (Bought in the late 60's from K mart for $19.95; my dad bought 2 and 2 barreled actions).
Springfield 1903. (Got from my grandfather and my story is it's his WW1 issue. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
1860's something Spencer carbine. (From my dad's collection when he passed.)

Also 2 1911's. (Yeah, I know this is the rifle forum).
1 Remington Rand 1943 DOB.
1 Sistema Colt Argentine Army, 1946 DOB.

2nd... the Spencers are too cool... my buddy had a Spencer rifle that he wanted to sell... I did the research, & turns out it was one of 8 ( now 9 ) known to exist, that was at Gettysburg... I got it authenticated through the Spencer Rifle collectors association, & surprisingly, another buddy of mine ended up buying it... I got to handle it, rack the lever, etc. when I was taking pictures of it for them to authenticate... pretty cool experience for me...

attachment.php

more of the story on this rifle here...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544610

Last edited:
Code:
What kind of milsurps do you mainly collect?

The username pretty much says it all!
From a low of $41 to my door for a MAS 36 to three and change for a Waltyer P1.
They all shoot, get shot, and haven't broke the bank!
No museum pieces, just plane old cheap shooters! :D

I'm with the all kinds group. Have milsurps. in russian, english, german, jap., finn., and american. Rifles and pistols.

My millsurp collection consists of:

L2A3 Sterling receiver, converted to a semiauto TypeII carbine in 9mm.

1903 M96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55

K98 German Mauser, converted to a fake scoped sniper in 8mm.

SMLE Enfield converted to a fake "T" scoped sniper in 303.

3 M91-30 IZZY's, including a authentic 1943 IZZY sniper.

A French MAS 49/56 semiauto in 308

1 M1 Garand in 30-06

1 Chinese scoped SKS

M91 Finn in 7.62x54

A Romanian PSL in 7.62x54

1 TABUK AKM in 7.62x39

1 sporterized O3A3 Springfield

Last edited:
Back