What kind of critter does this

What you are taking for claw marks could well actually be tooth marks. I have seen beaver and porcupine damage and their teeth can make some long grooved marks similar to scratchy looking stuff. You could possibly be looking at two different animals doing damage to little critters and stumps. Possibly a feral cat in the vicinity...as well as a porcupine?

Buck460 remarks are correct .That photo is far more like tooth marks than claw marks ! Beavers and porkies eat the inner bark of trees [people can too ]

Last night for the first time I saw deer licking sap from a tree just like I've seen squirrels do.

I've never seen a cat/squirrel scrap where the cat didn't get the worst of it. Squirrels are strong little buggers and the claws will rip you a new one.

I've never seen a cat/squirrel scrap where the cat didn't get the worst of it. Squirrels are strong little buggers and the claws will rip you a new one.

We had a small cat that would follow us around doing squirrel population control, if the squirrel went into a hole or ran off wounded the cat would go get it. In it's time it went after a few that were uninjured, and killed them all, never got too beat up. Was eventually eaten by a coyote.

Our neighbors current cat is also little, she is up to at least 4 confirmed squirrel kills. She goes after the young ones in the spring, up to 2 this year. No scars on her, she is a skilled little killer of rodents.

Last edited:
Back