what kind of accuracy do you get at 50 yards with open sites

Yup. It was on "The American Shooter". Munden said he had been thinking about trying it out for quite a while, but knew it was probably impossible - it wasn't, for him that is. He didn't say how many practice shots he took before the show was taped, but he definitely could hit the card with almost every shot.

I shoot the FBI Combat Match every week.The first segment of the match comprises four targets at 50 yards.These are shot at prone,sitting/kneeling,left side barricade,and right side barricade.Six shots on each target.The ten ring is 6in X 4in.It is not uncommon for shooters to get all six shots in at least one ten ring,mostly on the prone or a favoured barricade side----I have done it myself,but not very often.I shoot a Model 16 S&W .32 H&R Magnum 6in and load it with 2.5gr W231 behind a 98gr semi-wadcutter.The sight picture is vital to accuracy,and this is affected by the light too.The most important thing is to see the front sight clearly,and I have two pairs of glasses I swap between.Often the target is slightly blurred which doesn't really matter as long as the sight is in the centre--is is essential to execute the shot properly,and watch the process all the way through.AND follow through.
Hope this helps.

Oh, I neglected to mention that all my shooting is done with .38 spl out of a PC627 V-comp and a 686+. I am beginning to get curious as to what .357 magnum loads would do, given that the bullet does less knocking about before entering the force cone.

Guy,

I didn't realize transition lenses were that way. Guess I need to talk to my eye doc, about things to try.

It's a well known fact that bullet jump in a rifle effects accuracy, but I just don't know about a revolver?

It would stand to reason that the more velocity a bullet picks up before hitting the forcing cone, the more abuse there would be to the bullet, as well as the cone.

Could be that forcing a bullet into the rifling sooner (slower) causes less deforming, and/or cleaner grooves in the bullet?

I never use .38 brass in my .357 handguns! The soot buildup in the front of the cases, might make chambering the longer .357 cases difficult.

Bill

Bill,

I may have at one time had excess soot, but otherwise no problems at all. I rather assume that any problems came when I shot some lead bullet rounds as the lube is very sooty.

Over the 12 or so months I've been reloading I've now reloaded and shot around 12,000 .38 spl rounds in my 627 and 686+. Mostly in the 627. I know I purchased at least 3000 rounds before that as I am reusing a couple of thousand of that brass for reloading.

Most of the purchased 3000+ were Rainier or Berry copper plated bullets over Bullseye (dirty, dirty, dirty powder). Most of what I've loaded are West Coast copper plated bullets over Accurate Arms #2 (nice and tidy). With the reloads I will go several hundred rounds between cleanings unless a match comes up. When cleaning I scrub the chambers about six passes with the bronze brush on each of the four compass points for a total of 24 passes per chamber. Don't know whether that much is necessary, just an arbitrary habit.

Guy,

My loads are almost all lead bullets, so I kind of forget that other people shoot cleaner stuff. :D

If you always shoot 38 Special in your revolvers, you shouldn't see a problem with chamber soot at all. It's mixing cases that cause the problems.

I've used a few of the plated bullets in the past, but mostly in my 9mm revolver, and only Rainier Ballistics. I've heard that West Coast bullets have a thicker plating. Have you noticed any difference?

Cleaning is such a subjective thing, that it's impossible to say what is too much!

I take a brush along to the range with me now, and run it through the chambers of my double action revolvers after three or four cylinders full. Makes reloads a lot easier to drop on the chambers, and it only takes one or two strokes to clear the soot.

Bill

Bill,

Though the .38 spl are the norm, I do drop some Federal .357 magnum self defense rounds through or PMC 150 gr JSN magnums through every so often just for reference and to maintain familiarity for home defense.

Back