what is your??

I love getting out and being part of nature. Watching the wild things and becoming one myself.

I also value the friendships that form with your hunting buddies.

Of course it's the shot and the kill, and all the personal pride that goes along with a successful hunt...but now we can go feed the Family. I love to eat! She loves to cook!

I've come back empty handed more than bearing meat, so even though I can appreciate the quiet peaceful sounds of nature...it is better when a shot rings out to break the silence and an animal goes down. We eat tonight! It's all about the food.

PawPaw posted,
Once the trigger is squeezed and the shot finishes rumbling though the hills, the hunt is over and the work begins. Not that I mind the work, but at that point the hunt is over.
You need to load up a Flintlock Rifle.
"A flash in the pan" is a wonderful thing as long as it doesn't happen to often.
After that happened to me actually more than once) I really felt good about being able to go through the Thrill of the stalk again that same season.

I love nature, I love sitting around the camp fire with your family & buds, the peace and solitude of being on stand. All of that is great but the kill, ah! that's really what it is all about. The adrenlin when first sighting a shooter, trying to control the adrenlin before the shot, and seeing that animal buck from your shot
& knowing it was a good hit, that's as good as it gets!

The rush at the moment the quarry first appears.

The quiet of the woods during archery season.

The telling of the tales and good natured ribbing of things gone wrong.

Long awaited success.

Listening to the tales of other's success and even near misses.

What is any of it, without all of it?

I like it all,but it is fun talkin bs with the guys the big plan that never works.watching the young guy faces while the old farts tell lies about the big ones that they seen early that day But never got a shot.Its always fun to get you a deer, But its 10 times better to see the kids get they're first deer knowing they're going to be the hunters of the future & our sport of deer hunting will be carried on through them, Thats the best.:D:D

I too love getting away from it all and listening to the peace and quiet. Unfortunately some inconsiderate **** came by and ruined my hunt yesterday. He was slamming his doors and talking real loud with some other jack@$$. :mad:

Guess that's what i get for hunting on public land. Too bad I didn't have time to get far enough into the great outdoors.

lemmon said it real well, but there's a bit more to it for me. I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt on my own place, which isn't real big but is big enough. Nobody around to bug me or mess up my hunt, and I get to see all sorts of fun nature stuff. It's just peace and quiet and critters, and in the mornings I have my coffee thermos. About the only thing that would make it better would be to have my Dad hunting with me, but he has finally gotten too old and feeble.

What is best in Life?

I don't think there is anything finer than watching your children do something well that you taught them, particularly when there is concrete evidence of their skill to be enjoyed all year long at the dinner table.

I do enjoy the planning, the preparation, and I love the rush when the quarry appears- that anticipation that your planning and preparation was well done and yes a bit of fear, that it was not.... that rush is compounded ten-fold when your kid is on the trigger and you can only watch......

My younger brother brought his 12 year old daughter deer hunting for the first time this fall....... she put a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip from her 7-08 A-Bolt through her buck's heart at a measured 220 yards........ when we found the buck, he was smiling so wide I thought the top of his head was going to fall off......

I enjoy the cheep meat. I like the hunt as well. I don't really enjoy the gutting and processing but its worth it.

I could get all sappy and spin a yarn of the family getting to go hunting as a well oiled hunting unit....... But that would just bore you guy's to tears.:o

My favorite thing is the.........

1. Backstraps wrapped in bacon, with sliced japaleno's inside.
2. Sausage gravy and homemade buttermilk biscutts...
3. Deerburgers on the grill (before the game)
4. Deer chili on a frosty afternoon (always better the next day)
5. Summer sausage with the "hot pepper" cheese and jalapeno's
6. Deer stew with big chunks of potatoes and carrots and celery and etc.
7. My favorite,,, Deer bologna, (no it don't taste like any bolony from the store)

I take it you understand that my favorite part of deer hunting is,,,, deer eating man!!!:D;):rolleyes::D

we all love to get away, spending time with friends and family, the memories and photos....but i love the long distance spot and stalk. being out here in the west, that is the only way i like to hunt. it's great when you just come by a buck and get a shot off, but to me there is no greater satisfaction and pride than actually finding your buck hidden away in some nasty hole and having to think and work for him. more often than not, something happens and you get busted. thats okay, because you then get to do it all over again. oh yeah, i cant forget the whiskey and beer drinking around a blazing hot fire and telling stories of the days hunt:D nothing ever gets exaggerated around our camp;)

Thanks for all the replies! It brings great pleasure to hear that other people gain as much from the hunting experience. Its truely an amazing thing. When I hear about peta and like groups trying to take that away from me it really drives me nuts!

For me, its getting away from the traffic and noise. The companionship of the campground and especially playing "roticirie" (sp?) at the campfire. Spinning around to warm up the backside while the front gets cold and the turning around again to warm up the front. Enjoying the hot coffee and pleasant conversations and stories. Getting up before light, and getting out to start the hunt. Then of course, the days hunt. Moving quietly through the forest, ears and eyes on high alert, watching the animals as they carry out their routines, and the stalk when you come across fresh sign. The rush when you finally spot your quarry and try to close the distance without being detected.

Once the game has been brought down and the excitement slows, the work begins and is a bit anti-climatic. It resumes however when the hunt is related again in camp around the campfire. Especially if there is fresh meat for dinner.

If you were unsuccessful, then you can enjoy your fellow hunters success in camp, or at least relating what you have experienced that day in the field.

All in all, it is a wonderful experience that very few things can compare with.

Getting away from the hustle and bustle,Anticipation on that HUGE 30 point buck stepping into view for the shot,and some venison for the freezer.

For me, it's like the night before Christmas...

tossing and turning, unable to sleep, anticipating what may be.

When I start getting together my gear, checking everything to be sure it's ready, the excitement begins to build. Driving to the hunting area, my imagination conjurs up all kinds of expectations.

In the field, as the earliest hint of light arrives, my imagination turns every tree stump into a doe, and every cluster of low hanging limbs into monster racks, I begin to experience "pseudo buck fever".

And when a buck actually appears, my heart races, and I can't seem to gulp enough air.

Deer hunting - WHAT A RUSH! :D

I don't deer hunt anymore. I don't hunt at all, pretty much. I really should start again.

At this stage of life, nothing in the world matters to me as much as peace and quiet, and solitude.

I don't go out much at all. Going hunting or shooting isn't easy in my situation.

I don't miss hunting as much as I do fly fishing. being near the water is good.

Back