What is your testing process for a carry gun?

"...your carry ammo..." Needs to be "tested" in that particular firearm. Or you need to work up a load for that particular firearm. Said firearm needs to fit your hand first and foremost. Ammo selection matters with any firearm, not just handguns.
Then you go shoot it and see if you like it. Then think about a holster and if the thing is going to be comfortable lugging around.
However, very few new handguns require any kind of "testing" prior to use. The only thing that you need do is decide how the thing feels in your hand.
The rubber tips(that aren't rubber) on Hornady FTX bullets are there for using the bullet in lever action rifle tube mags. Nothing to do with feeding in pistols as they're not made for handguns.
"...feeding issues due to bullet shape...." Rarely, if ever, does the bullet shape matter with a pistol. Lots of pistols have no problem feeding SWC's. Feeding issues are usually magazine related. A pistol does need to be set up to use 'em though. Chamfering the feed ramp primarily. Most new pistols come from the factory with that done.
"...Some models are prone to jams..." Nope. Any firearm put on the market that doesn't work reliably, would soon be off the market.
"...target reload that will shoot to same POI as SD ammo..." Target loads will not do that due to the differences in velocities.

For revolvers, I'll try four or five cylinders of typical range fodder and then a cylinder or two of defensive loads I'm considering. I'm getting used to the gun as much as I'm testing for reliability. So, after a total of about 50 rounds, I'm GTG.

Like KyJim, I'm pretty much satisfied after a box of 50, to include my carry loads..... we're talking revolvers here, not bottom feeders!!

But I also get used to speed loader use with the new gun. I have found some that were, if not incompatible, at least contrary. Sometimes it's just a burr on the cylinder mouths, or the cylinder release needs working in, but I have found grips that interfered with the loader...something you'd need to know if you carry a reload.

Beyond that, I give it a good cleaning, then try it with my LSWC practice loads and see if it's going to be a "leader" at forcing cone, or down near the muzzle. A note on this latter: in over 50 years of handgun use, I've yet to own a Smith that continued to lead up after a suitable break-in period with jacketed rounds. A box or two has been all it's ever taken.

If it's role is a carry piece, I strap it on and use only it on my daily chores here on the farm for a month or two...getting used to it...wearing in the trigger, and fiddling with holster position and rechecking the sights. By carrying it daily, and solely, I'm building muscle memory with the gun and its scabard.

HTH's Rod

Last edited:
For me, a minimum of 50 rounds of "range" or "practice" type ammo (LRN, FMJ, SWC, etc.) is first to generally familiarize myself with the gun. If I intend to carry +P ammunition (I do in .38 Special) then another 50 rounds of "value-line" +P ammo like Remington green and white box will be thrown in to familiarize myself with increased recoil impulse and any issues that higher-powered ammo might cause/reveal. If the gun will be carried with magnum ammunition, then the range/practice ammo will be magnums (usually JSP). Finally, one or two cylinders full of my chosen carry ammo to verify POI and, in the case of a lightweight revolver, check for crimp jump.

It has to be accurate at 25 yards. If it is, it will be at any defensive distance.
All other factors are there as well.

My test is the same for revolver or semi, it has to go bang every time the trigger is pulled. It's been a gimmie with the revolvers but some of the semis never make it.

I searched the forum and surprisingly couldn't find a thread on this, probably my bad search-fu.

So you buy a cool new (or new to you) revolver for concealed carry. What is your process for testing the gun and what does it need to accomplish for you trust it enough to bet your life on it?
Well, you test it with range ammo and then test it with carry ammo...but your post kinda implies, once you are satisfied, you carry it but don't 'shoot' it much after that. For my 2 'carry' handguns, I shoot them as much as I shoot my 'range' gun..why?
-Cuz it's fun
-It makes sure the gun is STILL reliable(occasional mag of carry ammo out of carry magazines)
-ensures I get better with it
-Cuz it's fun

BTW-A Youtube video I saw once recommended cleaning the gun 'before' you go to the range with it but NOT cleaning it before you carried it..'assuming' the chances of gooning something up is higher with cleaning it than with shooting it.

YMMV, IMHO and all that.

...but your post kinda implies, once you are satisfied, you carry it but don't 'shoot' it much after that...
That is definitely not the case with me. I shoot my carry guns.

In fact, a few times a year, I like to pull one of my carry guns (or HD guns) out of its holster and shoot it exactly as I've been carrying it, SD ammo, dust bunnies and all.

BTW-A Youtube video I saw once recommended cleaning the gun 'before' you go to the range with it but NOT cleaning it before you carried it..'assuming' the chances of gooning something up is higher with cleaning it than with shooting it.
That's kind of weird advice. If one is screwing their gun up by cleaning it, maybe they are doing it wrong. I have never, ever made a gun malfunction by cleaning it. I have however gotten guns pretty filthy from range practice.

Last edited:
Back