What is your fighting style?

What is your fighting style?

• Traditional Asian Arts (TKD, Ju-Jitsu, Judo, Kenpo, etc.)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Traditional Western Arts (Boxing, Wrestling, etc.)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Modern Fighting Techniques (Krav Maga, Marine combat, etc.)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Skull Crusher (Barfighter, been in fights so you do what worked, etc.)

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Combination of the Above

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
I combined karate, Judo, hapkido, stick fighting (Arnis) and the basic western punches. I've got only 1st dan black belt in all of the above but for now, I only use the basic for self defense, as in all fight I use my common sense to get in or just withdraw from it.

Nike-fu. Backed up with chair-fu, branch-fu, cue-fu and gun-fu.

Teriary back-up with a little judo, some arnis and some kick-boxing.

LawDog

Like Mr. Miagi said in Karate Kid - Bets way to take punch is no be there...

Run away, as there is no reason totake a punch... and what the heck was I doing letting someone get close enough topunch me anyway?

i'm a lover, not a fighter

Lol. This is a fun thread ....... a lot of good advice and experiences coming out. Runt, that's a pretty funny story ....... this guy sounds like someone I definitely aspire not to meet.

There's an old Chinese martial arts saying that translates to: "first, mind; second, body; third, technique." This is one of the simplest but truest dcotrines I've ever heard.

Awareness, determination, aggressiveness, etc. -- the mental game -- are the most important factors in "conflict management." Knowing when to run and when to fight are pretty important, as are knowing the Use of Force laws in your state.

Body is about as important -- most people tire out after 30 seconds or so of full-tilt combat. Endurance, strong legs, and developed mid-section are a must.

Technique should bring it all together with some degree of focus. I've studied, on and off (mostly off), a little TKD, Aikido, Kendo, Okinawan Karate, Krav, and Muay Thai. What would I do in a fight? Beat feet. :p

Given extremely limited training time, I'd rather spend it running or lifting weights, with some Krav Maga and Muay Thai training. I have a friend whose a former national wu shu champion in the PRC -- he likes Muay Thai as a pure combat system. The "old" arts are great in some contexts, but I got tired of sifting through extraneous material. I really like the "modern" systems that focus on simple, gross muscle movements.

I did Judo half a life ago, and, with no practice in twenty years, admit to have gotten a little rusty at it.

I do retain a hard inborn punch, however (though little endurance to brag for). So today I might rely on a quick pre-emptive strike to get out of harm's way.

Bubba Blitz is always nearby, of course.

Last edited:
My fighting style? Put it in reverse....

I'm 56 now but have never honestly been in a fight since I was a kid. I simply have never been picked on and I think one of the reasons I don't get picked on is my appearance. You've heard the expression "built like a fireplug?" I R that fireplug. My fighting style is to avoid fighting and "put it in reverse" when necessary.

I've been an aircraft loader for the better part of my life; here are my stats:
5'-10", 200 lbs, size 12 shoes, 7 5/8" hat size, huge hands and fingers, size 46 coat size, 38" waist, and I've got those abs of steel from constantly lifting large heavy objects over my head.

I don't know if I'm a "little big man" or a "big little man".....I'm ruddy faced with thinning red hair and I guess come across as no one to mess with or provoke. My wife says I intimidate people, even though I have a docile nature and abhor fighting or violence.

Where a lot of my relatives and friends are getting sloppy and paunchy in their 50's, I look very fit and still look like I can handle myself in a physical confrontation.

Fighting style if needed? Probably "a**holes and elbows" because with my physical job and everage/lifting/pushing/balance techniques, I still think I could do some damage to anyone who is a skilled fighter.

Finally, I think something can be said for a man who has a very physical occupation over perhaps someone who is sedentary or works at a desk. I would think twice about picking on a man who did heavy physical labor every day, even if he didn't have any fighting skills.

I used to take classes in Tae Kwon Do, but i gave that up after they made me spar a girl in a tournament... I just couldn't hit a girl... sigh.

but now... i know "Ching-Ching"

<ching ching=the sound my usp45 makes when you rack the slide>

I learned along time ago that there are no rules in a street fight. The objective is to end the aggression as quickly as possible w/ minimal to no injury to myself.

Havn't been in a fight since school (lucky me; but since I don't drink alcohol or sit in bars I can avoid bar fights).

Did some Judo, but no striking arts till last years' self defense course with Andy Stanford.

One guy at school did really want to fight, and went into a boxing position with most of his weight on the rearward leg. Blocked the forward leg an pushed him over it. He dropped like a stone, jumped up again, an asked "was that judo?". Then he shoved me a bit (I stayed up) and decided it wasn't worth it.

Lots of cool input so far! I'm surprised that there is nobody who has voted for the traditional western arts. As far as the "I never get into fights" issue, I don't either. I just wanted to know what people consider to be their personal style for fighting. I don't get into gunfights but I train really hard with firearms. It is no different with your hands. Its not as easy to run away as some may think. Have you ever walked on a really crowded street? Someone could come up from behind you even if you're in condition yellow. I find it strange when people say they will never have to fight for any reason. Sure it is not a likely event, but its good to know you can take care of yourself if you have to.

I've spent time learning kung fu on and off since I was a kid, and the past 5 years or so studying it seriously. I've trained in Shuai Chiao, Chinese military art of throwing,locking and striking, Hsing I, an "internal" striking art also popular with the chinese military over the centuries, as well as techniques from Lohan, Pa Qua, and various Shaolin styles. Recently I have done a little Judo to compliment my ground fighting training from Shuai Chiao.

Woodland stated that SCARs was the best he's found. I have seen the ads for it, but have not heard from anybody that took it. Any info, is it as good as it seems to be?

I wrestled in high school and boxed some in the army, wasn't particularly good at either, though I did learn I can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

IRL, I have embraced several styles:
- the way of the snake tongue - try to talk my way out of it, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the tree - leave, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the buffalo breath (pepper spray), if that don't work, there's
- the way of the rabbit - run, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the donkey - really haul @$$, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the dragon - trading blows until one can find the way of the rabbit, , if that don't work, there's
- the way of the Colt (.45) - actuall more like the way of the Kahr, SIG or Kimber, yaknowhatImean.

Western Arts

Since I am currently studying Medieval swordplay and grappling, I really wanted to put in a vote for traditional Western Arts. But, the fact that I've also studied TKD for years put me firmly into "combo" colum.

Regards,
Matt

I allways go for throat and eyes,open hand to chest to try and backoff BG, but a hard thrust sliding up to throat with fingers
seems to work, plus a nice palm to nose, and a quick fingers to
eyes,also ears seem to rip easily,and just grab little finger and break it back real fast, don't know what style this is but it does work, if all else fails boot knife slashing all over body, then run!:D

Back