what is your favorite rifle/cartridge combo?

Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308.

Absolutely lovely rifle, and I got it for a steal.

ramgrin.jpg

M1 Carbine followed closely by the M1 Rifle. Then maybe the semi'd M-14.
Commercial hunting rifles are pretty much all the same boring thing. I have 3 if you count the .22 and the 870. Don't want any more commercial stuff. Over priced and won't do anything any of 'em won't.

Used to hunt mostly handguns, but my Ruger 77 chambered in .308 has been more than adequate for the last twenty years. My CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel is a pretty awesome rifle...might take on some hunting duties in the future.

About three years or so ago I decided I wanted to simplify things by settling on one rifle that would fit the bill anywhere in the lower forty-eight and be done with it.

I realized that no matter what I chose it would be a compromise in some respects, over-powered on the lower end of the game animal spectrum (feral hogs, coyotes) and under-powered on the upper end (moose, big bear). Handloading allows me to mitigate this somewhat, but certainly not completely.

Anyway, I put on my big boy pants and bought a Ruger Model 77 chambered in .300RCM.

Almost went with the same rifle in .338RCM, except for the variety of thirty caliber bullets available.

I have a few "favorite" hunting rifles, but if we narrow it down to deer/moose, there is only one, a Stainless Remington 700 BDL in a Sendero stock that is my go-to, all-weather rifle. It's also free-floated, epoxy, skim-bedded, atop the aluminum bedding block. Trigger is a Timney, set at 2.5 lbs and it sports a 3-9X Leupold in Weaver Detachable mounts. It consistently delivers sub-MOA accuracy with handloaded deer rounds.

For heavier varmints, a Tikka T3 Lite, .243 Win, also with a 3-9X Leupold. It also shoots sub-MOA, but is very pleasant to carry when looking for coyotes and other varmints. It has also taken several whitetails, mostly by grandkids of both persuasions.

My go-to walk-about varminter is my CZ 455 with .17 HMR fluted heavy barrel. Ammo isn't so expensive that I can't touch off a few at gongs placed in our secluded blueberry fields. The other day, I fired a few shots at a target with the .17 in the field and a doe came out on the right side of the field, less than 200 yards away and walked toward my position; eventually going between me and my target.

So much for deer avoiding gunshots. (I stopped firing at my target when it was in the field...content to watch her, and she approached to about 60 yards before exiting the field to my left.)

So much for deer avoiding gunshots. (I stopped firing at my target when it was in the field...content to watch her, and she approached to about 60 yards before exiting the field to my left.)

last year, i was shooting my 20vt at a target. i had to stop because the deer(5 of them) walked about my range.

CZ 550 Lux in 6.5x55 shooting 125 grain Nosler Partitions. Beautiful rifle, great shooter, and about as perfectly suited to whitetail deer as any cartridge could be.

I'm all over the map when it comes to deer rifles. Most of my deer kills have been with a 98 mauser custom built by my grand dad in 7x57. But the last few years I have used a Remington model 7 in 7-08. Its a deer killer for sure.

I used a Winchester model 94 made in 1981 this year to make my first ever 30-30 kill. As expected it did the job.

I guess if I had to pick the best all around deer/elk rifle I own it would be the Ruger MKII 30-06 blue and walnut.

But my most favorite gun of all I own is my Marlin lever in 357 mag. I could have killed ever deer I have ever killed except one deer at 250 yards with that gun.

Belgian built FN/Browning T2 Tbolt shooting 40 grain standard velocity CCI -- tough to beat for many reasons.

.02. David. :)

Back