What is your favorite knockaround gun?

My favorite well Remington 870 20" barrel with choke tubes. shot lots of skeet, trap and game. But more recently Ruger 77/22K Hornet, 35gr. Hornady and Lil'gun and Rem 6 1/2 primer. among others.

My favourite two are my Henry 30-30 side gate and my Ruger 10/22. I don’t have any beaters but I guess the one that would bother the least if scratched would be my Remington Sportmaster .22

I have no issue taking out and or using any of my guns. With that said I try to avoid banging them into, or hitting things with them.

Old sporterized British Enfield No4 MK1*:

attachment.php

Attachments

• EnfieldNo4MK1_303_042708_3.jpg
    EnfieldNo4MK1_303_042708_3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 334
An old Remmy model 600 carbine ... in bear-stopping 350 Rem.Mag.

I run it irons only. Mine weighs all of 6.5lbs with a sling.

I don't have beaters.
Even if they come to me in rough shape, I do what I can to take care of them.

If it aint a beater, ... it's a Safe Queen. :rolleyes:

"Beater" just means a shooter that's seen some amount of hard field use, like the herd of well-used carbines and rifles that show up at deer camp every year.

They don't get pampered, but they do get taken care of.

619763_01_feg_amd_65_ak47_style_semi_aut_640.jpg
:) This would be it, all-matching (original numbers), with chf barrel and quality assembly. The box makes it clear.

None of my centerfire rifles (imported AKMs plus a Czechpoint VZ-58) actually get "knocked around", as they always travel in a slightly padded rifle case. And three of them underwent being sanded, stained, with polyurethane layered on them.
The original military AMDs were "beaters" in Hungarian armored vehicles, and with paratroopers.

Last edited:
I spent WAY too much money to be "tossing" around any of my guns. They get handled with the best care I can offer (yet many still get bumped / dinged and so on by total accident). Mine are 100% weekly shooters. It's also why I don't waste my dollars on "collectables". Just like cigs.. "smoke 'em if ya got 'em"

The best one for me is a model 1895 in 45/70; hanging from velcro attachments in the back of my SUV, seven shots with an extended magazine. I've also become aware of a new 9mm pistol carbine that takes Glock mags called an Extar EP-9 going for $450.

My knock around would be my Dad’s old Savage .30-06. It is still accurate but was a fairly cheap gun when he got it in 1939. It has taken dozens of deer and elk. But the blue is all worn off and pretty plain Jane. It is supplanted nowadays by a Tikka T3 and Sako A7. But if I am going to be knocking around the Savage is a trusted albeit ugly friend.

Old sporterized British Enfield No4 MK1*:

attachment.php

This is a good idea! I have a SMLE I never use but it is reasonably accurate, sturdy and has good peep sight. I need to dig that out and get it put into service. Thanks for the reminder!!

ETA: thought I would pick up a few boxes of ammo—surely no one is buying .303 Brit even now, right? Nope!! Shelves are bare even of this caliber. Wow. I guess I better make my six boxes that I have last a while :) great rifle!

Last edited:
Back