What Is Your Favorite .22 Rifle?

My Henry, blue frame, octagon barrel. Years ago I borrowed one for a .22 Buffalo shoot and it seemed like I couldn’t miss. Bought one next time I saw one on sale. I can’t say how well it groups but shooting objects or game it always hits. It is almost psychic. I can be off balance, out of breath, in a bad shooting position and still hit what I’m shooting at. It also never miss fires. I save dud rounds from some of my 22 pistols and they always fire when I run them through the Henry.

After I built the little one, I sold the full size.
7nmSVS2h.jpg

Probable the best in open sight plinker I have
LhWRUz1h.jpg

Scoped would be a Marlin 57M all tho its magnum.

Mine is a Marlin 81 bolt action. The cartridge guide was broken when I found it on a shop's bargain rack. Got it for $90. The rifle's action has 2 sears, similar to remington 700. I want to be able to single feed, so I chose not to replace the broken cartridge guide. Instead I modified the other components to make it feed ok. It shoots quite well.

As my eyesight continues going south, I finally put a no-name 4x32 scope on it. Open turrents and AO parallax. It is now my simulation training tool for long ranger center fired. Every week I shoot about 100 rounds trying to hit soda can at 150yd to build up my instinct to read the wind. Being able to score a hit within 2 shots is the goal. I now can do it quite comfortably. Working on 200yd. It is exponentially more difficult. I'm doing great if I can hit 1 out of 10 shots.

My go-to ammo is Aguila super extra HV. Good value.

-TL

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Remington model 572 fieldmaster pump. My Dad bought it for me when I was about 13. Marlin 39A that I bought in a pawn shop a few years ago.

I also have a marlin 39A, and I wanted it to be my favorite. It didn't happen though. It shoots reasonable ok. But my fingers hurt after working the action for a while.

Mossberg 151k auto can easily be the up and coming favorite after installing a scope. It requires 3/8" rail rings. It truly can shoot the lights out. It is difficult to single feed though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I love my 22 rifles! I own at least a half dozen bolt actions and 4 or 5 semis. I like my 22s more than any other guns I have. They're just fun! I can go out for a day of long-range sniping with my 541T or 77/22 Target, chase cans across a gravel pit with my 10/22s, or carry my old Winchester 1903 out for a day of retro fun. I recently passed my Winchester 52D on to a friend, so that one isn't sitting there looking at me when I open the safe. And my 22 handguns are also pretty high on my list of favorites.

All time favorite?
CZ 452 Scout.
Tiny, good sights (rare these days), 1-1/2 MOA all day long.
All of my bigger and heavier and less accurate rimfires have found new homes.

Over the years I've had a couple of the Ruger Target 10/22 rifles...the ones with the .920 barrel and I've really wanted to like them but I never got the accuracy you have with yours. (Post #1.) I see now Ruger has a 10/22 'Competition' in addition to their 'Target' 10/22...might be something to look into...like I said I like Rugers.

Check out this version. Same basic rifles in slightly different configurations.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/specSheets/31166.html

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/specSheets/31167.html

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/31173.html

They have the target barrel, chamber and the 3rd option comes with the BX trigger. They are every bit as accurate as the target rifle, but with a lighter contour barrel. I have 2 of them. I don't even shoot at ranges closer than 100 yards with them anymore. 1 MOA at 100 is typical with good ammo. I often shoot them at 200+ yards.

I can never get pics to load on this forum or I'd post some.

But as much as I like those Rugers, my Tikka T1x is more accurate.

Yeah, my used, customized 10-22 also shoots better than it has any right to, especially at the price I paid! The Shilen bull-barrel was a great add!

J. Picher

My favorite benchrest 22 rifle: A brace of Martini Henry Mark II Internationals (One with a Vortex Viper 5-25x & one with Parker Hale peep sights) single shots.

My favorite in the offhand/standing field position: Single shot, bull barreled Martini Henry 12/15, mounted with Parker Hale peep sights.

My favorite 22 squirrel rifle: A scoped Yonkers Kimber Classic bolt rifle, with a 5 round magazine.

My most favorite .22 and proof a great .22 can have a bad trigger. I love my Walther (Umarex) G22 it is fun and accurate, and it is crying for a can. I hope to remedy that, modding the G22 may take up the length of the wait.

My 10/22 with a B&C thumbhole stock, Kidd lightweight barrel, Kidd trigger, CNC bolt and Leupold 3-9x scope. It wears a can when there's nobody else on the range.

Favorite? Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun. Been with me since the 70's with a basic Weaver K-4 scope that is deadly. I have others that I love, Marlin 60's, Remingtons, etc but the Ithaca is my long-time 1st love.

Remington 552
CZ 452
Remington 572

Are my all time favorites that I shoot the most. CZ 452 is my serious target rifle while the 552 & 572 are my fun favorites when I want to burn up a few hundred rounds.

Savage - Anschutz 54 Sporter.

After that, my beloved Ruger 77/22. Will shoot 1/4 MoA or better all day, as long as it gets fed decent ammo and the monkey pulling the trigger doesn't screw something up. But I am not willing to abuse it in a competition environment.

Strange, CMP Rimfire Sporter didn’t abuse my rifle. What kind of competition environment are you in?

My favorite 22 from a sentimental point is my dad's Remington 552 Speedmaster. It's the rifle I learned to shoot on.
My fun 22 is a Ruger 10/22 with a Krinker plinker AK-looking kit installed.

Back