What is your favorite 1911 and why?

My Baer Premier II. It is tight as a bank vault, scary accurate and completely reliable. Couldn't be happier.

Regards,
Frank

my custom 45acp les bear slide and lower, kart barrel sty sights. built by marc mccord, best gun ever, sweeeeeeeeeeet

My favorites are and have been for many years the pre-1970 commercial Government Models and Commanders from Colt. When lightly customized to my personal preferences these are some of the finest handguns ever.

Since both of the custom gunsmiths who used to do work for me have quit (Clinton Admin ATF regulations disgusted them) I have switched to Glocks in 45 ACP.

If I were going to buy a 1911 style pistol today I would get the Wilson KZ-45 (probably the new compact version).

I own two 1911s, one is an early '90s Springfield that was customized by Mike Bay. The other is a Kimber Classic which I got a couple of weeks ago.

A neighbor had a pre-war government issue Colt 1911A1. Very reliable, very well put together. Not very accurate, however, due to a heavy trigger pull and original sights.

Para Ordnance P-12 Stainless

i just bought it a couple of weeks ago after searching all of MA for a new or reasonably priced used one.(just about every handgun is now illegal in MA)i ended up finding a brand new pre-ban p-12 at http://www.weareguns.com.he had a blue and a stainless so i figured the stainless was worth the extra $50.although heavier than a p-13 alloy i still find it easy to conceal and not very noticable when worn.this is my first 1911 style .45 and i now realize that it will need more accessories like high ride beavertail,extended thumb safety,commander style hammer,bomar sights and lighter trigger, but new custom 1911's are illegal and non existent in MA.i'm just happy i found a reliable compact 1911 style handgun.the 13rd capacity is just a bonus.looks like i'll have to move out of state to enjoy finer 1911's. :)

My favorite is the cheapest I have bought, but also the nicest.

It is a stainless Colt "Tactical Commander". All I know about it that makes it special to be called the "Tactical" model is that it went through the Colt custom shop and came out in the early 1990's. The gun is way cool. The trigger is the best 1911 trigger I have ever felt. It is extremely accurate. And, after doing some home smithing, it is very reliable. Even though I have heard bad stories about Colt in the 1990's, I am impressed with what Colt did with this one.

It was not working well when I got it, mainly due to lack of care. I got for a bit under $500 because the owner thought it sucked. I took it home, cleaned it good, polished it up and now it works like a champ. It is the nicest, smoothest, most accurate 1911 I have held yet.

Back