What is your favorite 12 gauge and why

P71pilot

I would like to pick your minds a little bit. I am really a pistol guy, but love all guns equally although shotguns interest me the least. I do not know why thats just how it is. Please state your favorite 12gauge shotgun make and model and why you like it so much. Owners only, so if you haven't owned it, it doesn't count.

My favorite shotgun I have owned was a Winchester model 12 I had from about 10years old to about 16 years old. My dad got it for me as a gift one year and me and him shot clay pigeons with it and I rabbit hunted with it a few times. Was made in 1961 in very good shape, and had about a 28" barrel with a polychoke. It is my favorite shotgun because of the feel while shouldered, the quality of everything, the light weight, and the beautiful blue finish. Also loved the corncob pump handle.

That shotgun turned me into a Winchester shotgun guy, after that I had a model 1200 12ga, which had to this day the slickest and quickest pump action I have ever handled. I could shoot 4 shots in 1 second with target loads. Before that I had a REM 870 express Magnum , didn't really like it, heavy and cumbersome, didn't seem as well made. Didn't like the finish. After the 1200 I had a 1300 made in 2006, picked it up at a gunshop brand new came with rifled barrel. Used that shotgun to kill a doe. Extremely well made I liked that gun very much. Called it my dinosaur rifle. Now my only shotgun is a Browning auto 5 12ga made in 1954, 26" barrel improved cylinder. Haven't shot it yet but I can't wait. Will use it for everything. Hopefully the IC choke holds decent patterns as I want to do alot of clag pigeon shooting. Will also hunt deer with it

I would like to pick your minds a little bit. I am really a pistol guy, but love all guns equally although shotguns interest me the least. I do not know why thats just how it is. Please state your favorite 12gauge shotgun make and model and why you like it so much. Owners only, so if you haven't owned it, it doesn't count.

My favorite shotgun I have owned was a Winchester model 12 I had from about 10years old to about 16 years old. My dad got it for me as a gift one year and me and him shot clay pigeons with it and I rabbit hunted with it a few times. Was made in 1961 in very good shape, and had about a 28" barrel with a polychoke. It is my favorite shotgun because of the feel while shouldered, the quality of everything, the light weight, and the beautiful blue finish. Also loved the corncob pump handle.

That shotgun turned me into a Winchester shotgun guy, after that I had a model 1200 12ga, which had to this day the slickest and quickest pump action I have ever handled. I could shoot 4 shots in 1 second with target loads. Before that I had a REM 870 express Magnum , didn't really like it, heavy and cumbersome, didn't seem as well made. Didn't like the finish. After the 1200 I had a 1300 made in 2006, picked it up at a gunshop brand new came with rifled barrel. Used that shotgun to kill a doe. Extremely well made I liked that gun very much. Called it my dinosaur rifle. Now my only shotgun is a Browning auto 5 12ga made in 1954, 26" barrel improved cylinder. Haven't shot it yet but I can't wait. Will use it for everything. Hopefully the IC choke holds decent patterns as I want to do alot of clag pigeon shooting. Will also hunt deer with it
I too like the Winchester 1300. That's for pump. Auto loader I would choose Remington 1100. I certainly like the browning a5 for what it is. But 1100 is a better design and a more practical field gun.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have 2 twelve gauge shotguns: 1) Beretta Gold Pigeon; 2) Bakail O/U. While I think the Beretta is beautiful to look, I end up shooting the Bakail more often. This is because I'm just so-so at skeet and sporting clays; I can't really yet appreciate the difference between the Beretta and the Bakail; and I don't worry about dinging the Bakail (although, I haven't dinged it). So, I don't feel like an idiot showing up with my Bakail and performing like I'm using a $300 shotgun!:o

Both shotguns have the same LOP (sized for me). If I get good enough to where I'm constantly hitting better than 60%, I'll switch.

So, why did I buy the Beretta? Because someone convinced me that's what I needed. Why did I buy the Bakail? Because I can have fun with it and not worry about being a beginner.

Just saying it the way it is.

You can have fun with the Beretta and not worry about it either.

The cheaper guns feel clunkier to me - both in SxS and O/U configurations. The balancing and handling are very different. I have never worried whether or not my next shot was going to work. I have seen enough issues with some of the cheaper guns to be leery enough about having to buy it twice. Some of the cheaper brands get better over time as they improve their quality - some do not because they are holding to a particular price point. Some have great customer service, some do not; some brands you don't know because folks have never needed to use it.

In the end, it comes down to what you like, what you can afford, and what fits. If you do any amount of competition and practice, you'll soon discover that the gun - even if it costs $50,000 - is the least cost component. Buy once, cry once, spend the rest on ammo and targets.

My favorite 12ga....( depends on what for ...)...

a. Best all around gun ...upland birds, 5 Stand, Skeet and Sporting Clays - is a Browning Citori Over / Under ..XS Skeet model, with a parallel adjustable comb and 30" barrels. Its got good balance, it fits me better than any gun with an angled comb - and at around 8 1/2 lbs...its a fast handling and smooth gun. They are not making an XS Skeet model anymore sadly ...so the equivalent model today is probably the Browning model 725 Skeet with adjustable comb ...( but I have the older XS Skeet models, 30" barrels in 12ga, and a 20ga , a 28ga and a .410 ..so I don't need a new gun - despite my 12ga having well over 500,000 shells thru it now in last 15 yrs or so..

b. Best "Trap" gun....for Trap specifically, I like a heavier and longer gun - because there is less left to right movement even in Continental Trap vs Skeet or Sporting Clays --- and the extra weight helps smooth out the swing on follow-thru. I have a break open single barrel ( Browning BT - 100 ) but I prefer the Browning Citori XT Trap, 12ga, Adjustable parallel comb, 32" barrels and around 10 lbs. I prefer the O/U XT -- over the single barrel BT-100 even for Trap singles...vs using one gun for singles -- and another gun for Trap Doubles -- and Continental Trap ( where you can load 2 shells )...

c. Best "Travel Gun" ...in a 12ga...does everything pretty well / I don't want to give a $5,000 Over Under to an airline ( to scratch or steal )...so I go with a semi-auto 12ga, Benelli Super Sport model, 30" barrel, comfort tech stock with inserts that adjust length of pull and comb height to make it into a parallel comb. The gun is very light at around 7 1/4 lbs - but its good for upland birds or even waterfowl ( if I camo tape it up ), Sporting Clays and Skeet ...and in a pinch for Trap ( otherwise I use it as a training gun / or a heavy rain bad weather gun -- ).../ so if I don't drive to my destination, I take the Benelli Super Sport ...and if the airlines lose it, beat it up ...or whatever, its easy to file a claim for $2,000 and replace it ...and I won't cry myself to sleep over it.

d. Best "Pump Gun" ...if for some reason I want to shoot a pump -- my go to pump guns are Browning BPS models, 28" barrel, Hunter model. Bottom ejection, smoother action than any other pump gun I've seen including the Rem 870 Wingmaster... ( I have the same gun in a 20ga as well ). Browning makes these BPS stocks on the Hunter model only with an angled comb / but I put a "rifle comb pad" on them to make them parallel...and the 12ga is versatile. Mine is the older Invector choke system...but no need to upgrade it. I'll shoot Trap and Skeet or Sporting with it, for giggles, once in a while ...but its not my primary competition gun.

e. Home Defense for me ...is a handgun / primarily a Wilson Combat 1911 in 9mm or .45 acp, full sized, all steel, 5" barrel...// or maybe a Sig 226 or S&W K, L or N frame .357 Mag revolver... ( model 19, 27, 28 -- or 66, 686, or 627 models ...that I have in 2 1/2", 2 5/8", 4" or 6" barrels ...)...but mostly I'm a full sized 1911 guy for carry - or in a nightstand ..../ shotguns are way to clumsy in my view at home ( for the same reason police depts in my area quit carrying them in their cruisers )....

But that's how I look at my 12ga shotguns...and why.../ hope that answers your question. ( I remember I picked on the old Auto 5's you were looking at .../ I have one ...but I don't shoot it -- just keep it as a family gun )..../ for me, in a semi-auto, Benelli Super Sport is a much better all around gun. )...but I hope your Auto 5 --- is a great gun and it works out very well for you.)

Last edited:
Of the 12 gage shotguns I own I'm going to pick the Berretta a300. Nothing fancy but you can't beat the drop and cast adjustments on this gun. I've never had a gun that fit me (after stock adjustments) like this gun does. The price is right too. Plus, it's made in the US.

I guess under the 12 gauge choice the Mossberg 500 wins for me.

Actually it's because of a Coast to Coast rebranded gun which turned out to be the single action bar Mossberg 500 twin in 20 gauge. I shot my first deer with that gun along with grouse and several canadian geese.

This caused the problem when my dad sent me to Kmart to feel up the new goose gun that I was going to buy with my own money. Not knowing anything about the brands the familiar feeling of the Mossberg 500 won over. In that first season I only shot it 9 times. 2 times to pattern it and 7 more in the field. And I killed 9 geese. One of which was banded so that's nice to have on the wall with the band history report.

I bought another mossberg 500 in 20 gauge for my wife to shoot clays with when I got practice. Price and durability are well worth it. Maybe some day my dad will let me have the Coast to Coast special which seems to be his favorite shotgun when geese and turkeys aren't considered.

Remington 1100. 53 trouble free years, from Saskatchewan to the Gulf Coast to the Chesapeake, and a lot of places in between. About 40 other 12 gauges have come and gone in the interval. Feels good to me, and I can shoot with it. Runner up, a Wingmaster. I do have a standard and a Magnum 1100; if you only want one an 11-87 Premier or a G3. Second runner up, Beretta 390.
Of all those other guns, only a couple just didn't work well. I expect more from a shotgun than for it to just go bang.

Beretta Model 686 Onyx 12 ga 3 inch O/U with screw in chokes. I have killed more fall turkeys with it than any other shotgun that I own; so I like it best.:D

Beretta Model 686 Onyx 12 ga 3 inch O/U with screw in chokes. I have killed more fall turkeys with it than any other shotgun that I own; so I like it best

What?!?!? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Don't you know you can't kill a modern turkey without some 3.5" camo dipped gun shooting 2oz loads through a dedicated XXXXF turkey choke? .........:D:eek::D

Amazing how all those old timers managed with their plain guns and regular ammo all those years..............

I've owned more shotguns than I can remember...honestly. Looking back at all of them and saying which one gun would I keep and use above all the rest? My Beretta 391 Sporting or my 390 Sporting. Either one. I've owned a good number of O/Us, some of them being quite pricey, but looking back I can't say that I really shot better with them than I did with the gas guns from Beretta.

My favorite is for sure my SPAS 12. I only have two shotguns, a pump Ithaca, and the SPAS. I love the SPAS because it is either semi or pump. It also has traditional rifle style sights on it which I am certainly more used to.

Cons are it is a ridiculous field strip process and if anything breaks it is hard to find parts.

12038297_887929971293011_874029520143868901_n.jpg

I absolutely love my Ithaca too though since it has been in the family for a couple generations now. Kicks like a mule though.

My favorite pump action (so far) is the Ithaca Model 37.

It's lightweight, but is all steel. It's a trim and elegant shotgun (for a pump).

It loads with the carrier up, so loading is much easier, there's no pinched fingers, and you could even load it while wearing gloves if you wished.

The ergonomics are superior. The crossbolt safety is clearly felt if you try to fire the gun with the safety on. The slide release is on the front of the trigger guard much like on the Remington 870, except correctly placed for a right hander. You can reach it with your trigger finger with no fuss, even with small hands. It's dumbfounding how so many other shotguns have it in some weird spot you can't reach or on the wrong side.

Bottom ejection is extremely cool. There's no risk of pelting your friends with ejected shell casings, and collecting shells for reloading is as easy as standing over a shoebox.

The action is super smooth. It puts modern actions to shame.

It's really a great old fashioned shotgun (in the best way) with JMB and Pedersen DNA. I was going to say they don't make them like this anymore, except they actually do.

My number one favorite is the Winchester M21 Custom/Deluxe because it is fitted and because it is a 21.

My favorite O/U is the Weatherby Athena because of the wood and the lines.

My everyday 12 ga. is an Ithaca M37 Featherlight.

I've read really great things about Ithaca pump shotguns. If I get another pump sometime I'll get an Ithaca. They have seen military service and to me that is a major deal. Anything that has seen U.S military service up to and including Vietnam, must be fairly reliable.

I had a slug gun (1300 with factory rifles barrel and fiber optic rifle sights) and loved it. Was not fond of the alloy receiver as I prefer steel

For me it's specifically the Rem 870. I bought mine new in 1981. A gift to myslef as my Gradad's ageing Savage needed retired. Originally, had 3 barrels for the 870, as screw in chokes were not on the scene yet. Sold the long tom barrel ealry on, the remaining 26" Full and IC are largely unused, and it pretty much lives these days as a dedicated turkey gun, with a 20", rifle sighted smooth bore slug tube, fitted with a super full turkey choke. Grim death on gobblers by the way. We've covered quite a bit of ground together, taken a wide variety of game, and even competed, albeit marginally, as well. With that much use, there's been some repairs; a carrier dog spring (?), mag tube spring, and a new carrier, as a rivet came loose on the original. Maybe a pin came loose on the bolt as well?

All steel receiver is appealing, though heavier than an alloy one, USA made, and ultra reliable , except for a brief period diagnosing the carrier issues after 25 years or so of use.

favs

Favorite. Depends on what for....
For 16 yard Trap....A Browning BT-99
For Upland hunting....an old Winchester Model 59 with the Winlite barrel
Favorite pump gun - second to the Model 59 for the Uplands - is an Ithaca 37.

I hot with a Moss berg 500 with a decent gun. My love though is my Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting gun. I shoot a lot of sporting clays and some trap. I'm not great, but it is a lovely gun to shoot and look at. The balance is perfect and it's a pleasure to shoot. Even more so when a target just evaporates.

My favorite 12 Gauge shotgun is the first gun I ever owned, a Mossberg 500. It is my favorite because it was the first gun that I ever owned :)

Back