What is your elephant gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with the classic elephant rifle. I know its not the most powerful but id pick the 450 nitro express 3 1/4 inch. While id does have a fair amount of power the history is why I would pick it. I am a sucker for history and that round certainly has it.

Id take it in a double if I got to choose. I also like the fact that I can reload it with the same bullets as I use in my 45-70 Govts.

All that said I don't want to kill an elephant. I don't think i would want to eat it and they are not a nuance animal.

p.s. A 4 bore would be fun too!

I'd use Karamojo Bell's favorite the 7x57 Mauser.

...bug

He killed around 1100 IIRC, most with the 7X57 and 175 gr solids. He said late in his life he would have used a 308 if it had been available at the time.

I'll never hunt elephant, but since we are on Fantasy Island I'll play. I'd probably go with one of the Ruger Guide guns in 375 Ruger. I like the compact size and trust Rugers rugged dependability. While on the lower end of elephant power it is versatile enough to work on other game.

http://ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

I have never shot an Elephant, but the old man I used to work for killed 8 and his daughter killed 3. He saw dozens shot. He said the .416 Rigby became his rifle of choice.

Duraganov???

Seems like I've read an account of a "game ranger" somewhere in Africa that was issued a Duraganov, or had used on several occassions a Drag, for culling operations. Caliber 7.62x54R of course, because they could obtain genuine AP type ammo in that caliber.

This for conversations sake, I'm not endorsing same.

Deja vu, rest assured that local villagers can turn an elephant into bare bones very quickly--and they'll have full bellies. That's true for all African game. Local diets, absent safari hunters, are generally poor in protein.

bamaranger - I believe the correct spelling is "Dragunov" --- I have a long piston Romanian PSL {Dragunov clone} in 7.62x54R, compared to the more accurate short piston Dragunov.

OK this may be a unfair but you didn't restrict what type:

2m22.jpg

.50 Cal MG

After seeing a number of charging elephants on film I would opt for an air strike. Of course timing would be tricky.

I have a Remington 700 in .375 H&H that would work in a pinch. If I were to buy a new rifle it would likely be a double gun in 450 or 500 NE.

spelling

My Russian is a bit rusty....thanks.

Also.......many years ago, a circus elephant got loose in Irwin Tn, nobody had an elephant rifle in Appalachia in those days....so they hung it.

Without a doubt, I'd pick my Rem 700 VDL in .243. Rumor has it they're predicting smaller than usual effelants in Tx this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back