What is your elephant gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with .500 or .577 nitro express. They are very big, but not as "overkill" as say a .700 NE. I have no experience with any of them, but I would imagine their recoil would seem way more tolerable than their big brothers

.375 H&H, the best thing to go with my .275 Rigby. It's what all the chaps were using for elephants, don't you know.

458Reloads_083013.jpg

458Win_050412_2.jpg

i don,t want to kill a elephant, but if i did i would use what i used on my last two trips to africa and what i,m going to to use on my up comming trip at the end of this month. a cz-550 in .375 H&H mag and i would not feel under gunned. eastbank.

Mine is an Interarms Mark X Mauser in 458 Win Mag. It's in what I believe is a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock with a nice thick recoil pad.

I've polished the bolt working surfaces and beefed up the magazine release spring. Next project will be to add ghost ring sights.

I shot a pig and a deer with it using 350 grain handloads and it worked very well indeed. It's a bit heavy to lug around for such game, but if I ever have a problem with pachyderms in the petunias, I'm ready.

It's reputation is so fearsome that nobody has spotted a single elephant, rhino or hippo in my neighborhood since I got it.

well if you shoot them in the arse, i might agree with you. i have seen quite a few big bad animals shot up close and personal with the right rifle and hit in the right place give up the fight as in right down. eastbank.

I would probably choose a 416 Rigby Magnum, CZ bolt gun, with the 458 Lott not far behind.

Last edited:
I know you can use smaller calibers to catch large game (with the right shot placement of course):cool:, but If an elephant was danger close, then I would want something "elephant" sized and I thought it would be interesting to see everyones dream hand cannon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back