What is your do it all pistol?

my sole, do-it-all, handgun was a taurus 85, 38sp, steel, snubbie revolver for 25 years, due to my locales. simple, reliable, handy, accurate.

I'd have to say my Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver with interchangeable barrels would be the closest thing I have to a "do all" pistol. It can go from a SD snubby with a 2.5" barrel on up through the 4", 6", or 8" for hunting, target/silhouettes, home defense, etc. Coupled with the versatility of the cartridge there's not much it couldn't cover.

Right now my "do it all pistol" is my Glock 26 Gen5. Will soon be a Glock 19 Gen5 once I gather up a few more pennies. Have a Glock 22 Gen1 also, but it's a bit too large for my body type to carry concealed. Excellent nightstand gun though!

A do all pistol would be a 4 inch 357 magnum. That would be for woods use. Otherwise a compact 9mm.

My current CC guns rotate between my 2.25" Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum and my S&W Shield .40. My current HD handguns rotate between my Ruger SR45, 4" S&W 629, and 4" S&W M28. If I had to choose one "do all" handgun for both CC and HD from my collection, it'd probably be my 3" S&W M13.

The closest I have is an XD mod 2 subcompact in .45 acp. It is my night stand gun but I only occasionally carry it when going to the big city because I have to dress for it.

13 rounds of .45acp at home and 9 rounds when I am carrying it.

The best part is that Springfield clearly marked the grip zone in case if I am in a panic and forget which part of the gun I am supposed to hang onto.

If not constrained to pocket carry due to clothing restraints, I will carry either a Commander or CCO-sized 1911, a Colt King Cobra (new model with 3-inch barrel), a SW Shield, or SW Compact. Whichever of these four I carried that day goes into the nightstand drawer for home defense.

No Such Thing !
If there were a Do-It-All Pistol we would all own one of them and no others ...
How boring would that be .... No No No ... we need at least six ...

Is Six Enough , is Twelve Too Many ... I Must Have More Than One !
Gary

Nope, no just-one-gun-for-everything for me.

All of my guns work well for home defense but the Springfield XDE 45 is the primary every day carry.

Beretta PX4 storm compact 9 mm is my alternate carry gun for when I’m not at work and when it’s too cold to wear my shorts that have big pockets for the XDE.

My full-size Beretta PX4 storm 40 that I keep locked up in the personal gun safe on top of my nightstand would probably be my primary home defense gun.

The full size Beretta PX4 storm 45 stays holstered on the side of my backpack that I take with me when I go to work as my truck gun that’s easier to access than the Springfield that’s in my front pocket and lastly my full size, fully stainless steel Sig P220 Elite 10mm is my woods gun that I take for going on hikes and stuff like that outdoors.

I have a little North American Arms 22 magnum mini revolver that I should be carrying as a back up pistol but for now it just stays in the nightstand safe with the PX4 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M&P40c 2.0 4" barrel

For me it is the M&P40c 2.0. I reload 40sw, so it is "mild to wild" because this pistol has the best casehead support I've ever seen. I bought a bunch of 180gr Speer GD and Winchester RangerX when the police were changing over to 9mm, so I've got lots of fancy JHP.
I like the size of the pistol, the aggressive grip texture, the reliability and the versatility of the cartridge.

The pistol I'm carrying is the one that is going to be used for HD; when I put my cargo shorts on a holstered Glock goes on belt.
If I'm wearing shorts, I'm carrying a Glock on belt, all day, everywhere or going nowhere.
Glock 17 or 22 - either would work.
However, since I put RDS on my MOS Glock 34 and 35 I've been carrying one of those ... In the FL heat and despite being in a "good area". ;)
It's been my experience that Alligator run ins are likely in Florida. Would a Glock 17 or 22 be "the gun preferred in hand" if you had to defend yourself against an alligator in a bad area?

I think my preferred gun in hand vs alligator attack would be an M79. :D

Of course, the best defense is the Miyagi defense...

"No be there!"
:rolleyes:

It's been my experience that Alligator run ins are likely in Florida. Would a Glock 17 or 22 be "the gun preferred in hand" if you had to defend yourself against an alligator in a bad area?
IIRC the 22LR is used by many professional alligator hunters. The issue is not caliber but just like Real Estate; location. Location, LOCATION. It is really about where the gator gets shot and unless you are knowledgeable or really lucky the gator likely wins.

An XD45 Subcompact. Pearce +1 extension on the short mags for 10+1 and a better grip; 13 round mags for more ammo.

20220802_174514.jpg

Flavor of the day usually does night stand duty, from .22 to .44.
It's all about getting to the 12 gauge.

I don't get some of the "Do-It-All" choices. To me, that means it is adequate and capable of accomplishing ALL the possible requirements of a handgun...from plinking, to small-game hunting, to self and home defense. I proposed my S&W 317. Many of the choices above are only capable of performing one or two of the necessary functions of a "Do-It-All" handgun, but not most or all.

My most common carry also serves as my bedside pistol. It's a Glock 26. I have another pistol for occasional pocket carry, and still others for range use, but the G26 is a versatile pistol that I shoot well.

The alligator discussion is kind of amusing to this guy who has lived in Florida for 61 of his 65 years. I see them all the time, and have never had one acted aggressively towards me. I have shooed them out of the road to keep them from getting hit, and treated them (I am a veterinarian). I know how to handle them, and I exercise some care, but those are not the predators that cause me to carry a pistol.

Back