What is too far when modifying mil-surp?

A milsurp that has been properly cleaned and serviced doesn't require modifying ... I keep mine like the Military made them, that's the point of owning one for my taste.

Tiki.

It depends on the type and rarity of the gun and on the condition of the gun.

I bought an old Ishapore Enfield .308 some years ago. The stock was oil-soaked and rotten to the point that you could dent it with your finger (yes, FINGER, not fingernail). The first two inches of the bore (muzzle end) were essentially worn to smoothbore condition by over-oiling. The metal work on the gun was finished with several thick coats of black paint.

Collectability on the Ishapore .308 Enfields is pretty much zero.

Basically it was garbage. I made it into a shooter with some relatively simple modifications.

I wouldn't have done that if the gun was pristine, even though it had very little collector value. I wouldn't have done it to a gun in rough condition that had any significant collector value.

But in this case there was no reason not to make the modification. The gun was worth more or less nothing without the mods--it wasn't even worth anything as a shooter. Now it's at least functional.

But mil spec rifles should still look mil spec.
Not necessarily. I don't mind something that's easily reversible. This one is a great p-dog and varmint shooter and it doesn't have to look 'tactical'. I really prefer walnut and steel to plastic and aluminum.

DSCN2807.jpg

zfk55 wrote:

For me, "too far" is any modification that cannot be easily reversed, leaving the rifle "as issued".

Hear Hear! I'll second (3rd or whatever we're up to) that!!!

5whiskey,

If you must tinker - Find one that Bubba has already ruined the collector's value.

Back