what is this

If I can figure out how to load pics.

DirtDOG.gif

Jonny, certainly wasn't a specific dig at you, and my apologies for making it seem such.

It's just interesting how things like this take on totally unrelated names, like how in some circles the 7.7 Arisaka became known as the .31 Jap.

"If you get to SLICS or one of the PA cartridges shows, say Hi."

I've been to the Denver-area show a number of times over the years.

I'd like to get to it again this year, but I'm not sure that that's going to happen.

OK, I have never heard .31 Jap!

Our show will be in Morgantown, PA again this year, Aug. 17-18. I always put myself at the first table as you enter. Hope you can make it.

litng1, if you email me your pic I can try to post it for you.

I've been around guns for over 50 years, but never heard of .31 Jap either. Maybe that's because I travel in different circles. When you really think about it the important thing is that when describing anything that the people you're describing it to understand what you are talking about.

Let's face it, when describing poop, or doo-doo, or crap, we know what's being descibed is still just plain sh^t. There's nothing wrong when someone with more knowledge, who means well, shares some of his wisdom by correcting a term being used. Let's face it, this is just a forum and not a classroom, so there's no reason for anyone to get upset about being corrected.

Even those who think they know everything will learn something new just by reading this, as well as other forums each day. By the way, does anyone know what the original ammo was?

.31 Jap certainly isn't a common usage, but you can google and find some references to it.

Several people at my hunting camp when I was a teenager called it that.

It was also used in print, here, bottom of page 57 in the Lowes Powder Horn ad.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1957issues/G0957.pdf

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the prices in the ads. You'll cry.

Oh, and Jonny?

There's also an ad in there for .42 Russian Berdan cartridges, Tula arsenal loads, in original string-wrapped six-count packets for $1 each...

Last one of those I saw at a show was $75.

Sigh.

I'm getting old and was around when prices were like this when I purchased guns in the 60's.
1968-S&W mod10 $39- PD price
1969-Colt DS $69
1969-Browning HP $85- Abercrombie & Fitch
1969-Baby Browning $50- Gone but saved undercover's life
1970-Colt SAA .45 $185- Abercrombie & Fitch
1971-Ithica Deluxe Deerslayer $120- Gone but not forgotten
1971-Colt Diamond Back .22 $125
1977-S&W DA .44Russian 1st year prod. 1881 pristine mint $335
Just to list a few, but there's lots more that can cause me to ball like a baby that's too painfull to think about. But at least I kept most of them.

Last edited:
Sorry, kiddies, but ".31 Jap" and ".25 Jap" were the terms commonly used by US troops in WWII for the 7.7x58 and 6.5x50 Japanese rifle cartridges respectively.

Jim

".31 Jap" (and to a lesser degree, ".25 Jap") were also buzz terms commonly seen in articles in the various gun rags in the 50s and 60s about either reloading, or sporterizing some WWII war trophy. I guess it was a carry over from the WWII GI field slang.

That link was a jaw dropper for a young guy like me!

GERMAN LUGERS Ã
Genuine German Lu er 9mm
Autos. Blue finish checkered
walnut grips in good mechan- u
ical and shooting condition.. .. .$47.50
Extra clips ................. .$ 7.00 7
Ammo 100 rds. ..............$ 9.50

I don't think I could hold one for that.

Before you get all starry-eyed over 1960s gun prices, remember (or ask Dad or Grandpa) what salaries and wages were in the 1960s.
In 1969 I was a newly degreed engineer with some accrued seniority as a co-op student. I had to wait until my first raise to get $10,000 a year. The guns looked just as expensive then as they do now.

I'm trying to figure out just what case they would be using to form the "9mm Nambu" that would require neck reaming given that the .38 Smith & Wesson case can generally be sized and the rim thinned, absolutely NO neck reaming required...

I think the case reamer and the forming die are for 8mm Nambu.

RCBS does have reloading dies for the 9mm Type 26 revolver cartridge (note proper name :))...

I think that neck reamer is mislabeled. I bet it and the form die are for converting .38 Special cases to 8mm Nambu automatic.

Back