what is this

9mm rounds... 9x17 AKA .380 ACP, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19 Parabellum (NATO), 9x21 Largo, and 9x23 Win Mag. At least that's all the ones I can think of. Without a pic, I am clutching at straws.

9mm rounds... 9x17 AKA .380 ACP, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19 Parabellum (NATO), 9x21 Largo, and 9x23 Win Mag. At least that's all the ones I can think of. Without a pic, I am clutching at straws.
You forgot 9X18 Ultra!:D

Get the point litng1. you need pictures, and head stamp information because there are so many 9MM chamberings.

The Type 26 revolver was 9mm jap. If it turns out that this is the ammo then you've hit the jackpot. This stuff is expensive and is hard to find. I know they can be duplicated by thinning out the rim of a .38 special cartridge, but I don't get involved with reloading, or fooling around with ammo. My friend has the type 26, which is a piece of garbage, but could use some ammo if you decide to sell.

Last edited:
The Type 26 revolver was 9mm jap.

Exactly, but Kijiro Nambu had nothing to do with the development of the revolver or the round.

Also, you left 9mm Browning Long (9x20), and 9mm rimfire shot off the list.

(Not to mention various 9mm pinfire cartridges, and the "other" 9mm Largo, the Spanish designation for .38 Colt.)

Gyvel more or less nailed it.

Nambu appears to have worked on the design of the Type 26, but he was not the lead designer, he was a Junior Lieutenant at the time. I've never heard either it or the cartridge referred to as the 9mm Nambu.

"I know they can be duplicated by thinning out the rim of a .38 special cartridge"

The Type 26 Cartridge was apparently based on the .38 Smith & Wesson round. Usable cases can be made using that cartridge, but the .38 Special casing is too small at the head.

I fired a Type 26 fairly extensively some years ago. VERY heavy trigger pull, shot way high, but fun in a weird sort of way.

"In the cartridge collector world it is commonly called the 9mm Nambu."

I've been collecting cartridges for over 30 years, been going to cartridge shows for 20 years, and wrote an article on it for American Rifleman magazine.

As I said, I have NEVER seen reference to a 9mm Nambu.

Most common references are either 9mm Jap(anese) Revolver or 9mm Type 26, or a variation there of.

But, now that I google it, I see that the dumbing down of American continues unabashedly.

Sigh...

I made ammo for the 9mm Type 26 by thinning the rims (from the front) of .38 S&W, then running the round into the .38 Special sizer die.

Jim

"But, now that I google it, I see that the dumbing down of American continues unabashedly."

Thanks Mike, I'll accept the dig with humility. But perhaps you travel in the wrong collector circles? If you get to SLICS or one of the PA cartridges shows, say Hi.

I had a Type 26 back in the 80s that would actually chamber .38S&W, but the rims were just a hair too thick to allow the cylinder to turn freely.

I suspect the .38 S&W may have had some influence on the development of the Type 26 cartridge.

Back