What is this thing on the muzzle of my upper??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skadoosh

What is it and what does it do exactly?

And by the looks of it, should the shroud screw on and off?...because I can't turn it by hand. Should I try using a rubber strap wrench to try to get it to unscrew?

202610.jpg

20160210.jpg

Not sure if you are joking, but I believe it is a non-functional muzzle attachment installed to extend the length of the barrel and thus making it a legal 16". Anything under 16" is considered a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR). I'm probably wrong, but that's my guess.

Fly

Do you actually know what the barrel length is?

A barrel extension to make it legal would have been my guess as well.

Could it be a thread protector for a suppressor? Or maybe just a dummy suppressor?

It doesnt look like it actually performs a function of any sort, but its hard to tell just looking at the pics.

Do you actually know what the barrel length is?

A barrel extension to make it legal would have been my guess as well.

From the bolt face to the end of muzzle device (I think its a brake) and shroud it is 13.5". I am guessing the barrel is about 11".

And for the record, this is not my upper nor is it in my possession.

I think it is a muzzle brake and sound redirector for CQB. What I am not sure of is if it is a screw on shroud...or its permanent. As it is, it can not be twisted off just by hand.

If its a brake, hows it supposed to work? Are there ports along the barrel extension under the shroud we cant see?

Where did you get it, or who makes it? Best maybe to call and ask, eh?

I have been searching for a while now to try and identify the thing...and this is the closest I have come:

_5710.jpg

There is a company called Kineti-Tech who makes Sound Redirecting Muzzle Brakes, but that company appears to mark their products. The muzzle device in question is not marked according to the owner...who knows nothing about it.

If I go through the legwork to purchase this shorty, I would like to be sure that I will be able to remove it by twisting it off with a strap wrench, but I don't want to damage anything in the attempt..

I am pretty sure now that it is an ultra-low concussion muzzle brake made by custommuzzlebrakes.com.

I am going to contact them and find out if it is a twist off. There might be loctite preventing it from twisting off easily.

"I am certain it is not being used as a barrel extension to reach the 16" requirment. Still laughing?"

yep still laughing...

"...I think it is a muzzle brake and sound redirector..." A muzzle brake it is not. A brake redirects the gases coming out of the barrel through the holes it has. That thingy will not do that.
Might be the shroud for one of custommuzzlebrakes.com products, but alone it's nothing.
Likely that tight because manufacturers are always terrified of stuff coming loose. Even stuff that supposed to come loose. No logic involved so don't look for any. I'd put the thing in a padded vise, close to the forearm, and twist the firearm to get it off.

And for the record, this is not my upper nor is it in my possession.
You said it was your upper in the first post.

It's not my upper...the owner brought it to my house. We are trying to figure out how to get the muzzle device off without damage.

So, jump to conclusions much?

"What is this thing on the muzzle of my upper??"

That is an EXACT quote of the title line on the OP's original post. So, yes, he DID state that it is "his" upper.

Don't care about the subject of this thread......just clarifying.

Wow. You folks are some nitpicky sums of beaches. This is a perfect example of why this forum is turning more and more in to a pissfest instead of a forum. That was a simple turn of phrase to mean the upper that I was currently holding in my hands. I don't actually own the upper...which I stated further down the thread. Take your microscopes off and keep up with the actual issue of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back