What is this blemish on Poly Protector and should it bother me as much as it does?

fourbore I guess I am one of the fanboys you speak of. My experience with Ruger has been different than yours. Of course I know a couple of folks who have had quality control issues with Ruger. I don't know anyone who has had a problem that wasn't corrected to suit the owner by the company. Ruger continues to sell guns as fast as they can make them. The market has decided that they are good value. They will do just fine without your support.

Yes, I know that returning a gun shouldn't be necessary. I also understand that some expect perfection at discount prices. What I expect from a firearm is for it to work exactly as advertised. I've never had a Ruger that didn't. I do not expect the same level of refinement from an inexpensive firearm as I do from one that sells for a significantly higher price. What the internet exposes is that some people have expectations that makes me happy I am not in the retail business.

The OP's Taurus doesn't look to me like a minor blemish, and I would not buy a gun in that condition regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Just wanted to close out this thread. I talked to Taurus customer service the day after I started this thread, they asked for pics which I emailed to them. I never heard back from them but did get an email from FedEx for a call tag to send the pistol back.....it was returned yesterday via FedEx, same gun (same serial number) and looks like they just cleaned off the glue, see pic below....so that was about a 3 month turn around.

I had posted about this at Taurusarmed.net but the site had some problems when I first posted it and the pics wouldn't display. A user there, Analogkid posted (see post 24) that this was just glue left over from the assembly process that wasn't cleaned off, see here:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...should-bother-me-much-does-5.html#post5032673

Initially from what it looked like to me initially (and everyone else) it was some sort of defect but it would seem to be normal.

I thought it looked bad and sending it in was the right thing to do, IMO. It's too bad they had it so long for what ended up being a blemish.

Are you going to keep it or shoot it? I'd like to hear your Impressions if you do.

It's a Taurus, it's plastic, to be expected. Best not to buy them, save til you can buy a S&W or a Ruger.

Back