What is this blemish on Poly Protector and should it bother me as much as it does?

Spur0701

So with the rebates that Taurus had I picked up a Poly Protecctor from Brownel's last month when I was ordering some other stuff. See these pics, right at the front of the trigger guard under the "Made in Barzil" mark is some sort of blemish, it runs across the fron to the other side and looks like it might be a weld of the polymer or something like that. Anyone even seen anything similar on one of these? Why would Taurus send something like this out? I mean I'm not sure it would affect the functionality but it worries me and evertime I look at it it's just so glaring against the flat matte poly that it really irritates me. I'm typically not a anal guy......I actually have some other used Taurus revolvers and love the use and patenia they show, but on a new product.

Attachments

• Taurus Poly 3.jpg
    Taurus Poly 3.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 413
  • Taurus Poly 2.jpg
    Taurus Poly 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 340
  • Taurus Poly 1.jpg
    Taurus Poly 1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I don't have one, but that doesn't look right. It looks as if it was cracked and glued back together. It would bother me.

Well, you know what an arc weld looks like.

This looks like plastic weld.

I used to make plastic molds and had a good plastic welder to put them together.

Some one appears to have made a repair.

You should send this one back to where it came from.

Taurus may put out some ok guns but allowing an ugly repair like that out to be sold is very bad. I wouldn't trust that gun either. I'd talk to Brownell's first because Taurus' customer service has had many complaints on the gun boards.

That is not anal, it would bother me to the point that I would either seek a refund or just take the loss and dump it. This sort of thing that even if I accept it for a while, it would eat away at my insides until I throw it up.

Taurus, should offer a replacement or Brownell or where ever that came from.

Yeh Spur, take however much that is bothering you and triple it. There is no excuse for that thing making it to a distributor.

Taurus, should offer a replacement or Brownell or where ever that came from.

Taurus yes Brownells, no.

Definitely contact Brownell for a replacement
May be a waste of time

You may want to contact Brownells about that. Taurus should be the one replacing the gun

This from Brownells web site with regards to the OP's question and some members statements,
Returns of Firearm Purchases

All firearm purchases carry the manufacturer’s warranty. Any product or service issues should be submitted to the manufacturer first.

In the rare instance there is a problem with your firearm purchase, you have up to 60 days from date of order to contact us. Returns or replacements on firearms will only be considered in accordance with the terms listed below.

You are the original purchaser.
You have your original receipt with the printed date and description of the item.
We will not accept any firearms for return that have been modified.
The buyer is responsible for the safe transport of any items back to Brownells.
Based on the condition of the firearm when returned, Brownells may decide to offer a partial refund only.

Last edited:
Brownells should have inspected the gun before they shipped it to you.
Clearly they did not. That is a serious defect, and I would suspect they sold you a used gun someone returned. Since you waited a month and already shot it?? you may not be able to return it.

Brownell's said they didn't and wouldn't have sold a blemished gun and that I need to go to Taurus......am on hold with them now.

Called Taurus and talked to a very nice personable service rep Ofelyah.....pics are on the way to them so we'll see what they do.

I just can't buy that any manufacturer would ship something with that glaring a defect. I've had good luck with Taurus overall. My last Taurus was a 94 revolver, I love that little 9 shooter. It had a very stiff cylinder release. I tore it down and found a small piece of metal debris in the release mechanism. Took about an hour to put it right. I only paid 199.00 for it, and was aware the release was a little stiff. Easy fix, good buy.

Some of my google searches return results where some vendors where selling "Blemished" poly protectors, and although this is a blemish it also leads me to question the structural integirity of the gun.

"...Brownell's should have inspected..." Retailer's rarely even look at a firearm. Brownell's operates a warehouse and probably just ships a box without opening it. The warrantee doesn't come from the retailer anyway. Comes from the manufacturer.
https://www.taurususa.com/contact.cfm
There's no mention of "blemishes" on Brownell's site.

I will be curious to see how Taurus handles this. I am not one that anguishes over minor cosmetic imperfections, but that is not a cosmetic issue. As already discussed, that appears to be a poorly done repair affecting structural integrity of the frame. Good luck.

Well I didn't get an email back from Taurus but did get an email from FedEx with a call tag for shipping to Taurus so I guess they'll be doing an exchange.......or should I not assume that?

Back