What is the perfect inexpensive bolt action hunting rifle?

I found a used Browning BAR in .30-06 with an OK scope for $689 at Cabela's... There were two others there without scopes for less.

Very much interested in this topic. Also very interested in shopping to compare brands myself. The Stevens looks like something I really want to check out. It happened that my local shop had a Vanguard S2 in 30-06, so that's what I brought home. No trouble mounting a scope using Leupold two-piece base and medium rings. Range performance was just fine.

I went to a local gun shop and found a Browning BAR in 30.06 with a Redfield Widefield scope and Redfield bases/rings for $379 out the door. I bought it quick and it has proven to be a real "meat getter".... It has been one of the best gun deals I've ever found.

My primary hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in .270 WSM that I picked up for $399 including a cheap simmons 8 point 3-9 scope. I replaced the scope with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 for about $200 and I have enjoyed it for the past 8 years. The barrel is no longer pristine, and has lost about 200 fps muzzle velocity, but it is still MOA accurate and standard .270 Win performance is still more than adequate for deer here and in Montana.
I also have a Stevens 200 in .243 Win that sports a rifle basix trigger, a hogue recoil pad, and a sanded camo painted stock courtesy of my son who now has full time possession of it. I figure I have less than $400 into it without the scope. (it has worn an Intensity 6.5-20x44, but recently replaced it with a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40).
Now I am trying to resist the temptation of picking up a new Ruger American in 30-06 that the local Wholesale Sports has on sale today for $249.95! The 30-06 is not my favorite caliber, but that is almost too good a deal to pass up.

Back