What is the perfect inexpensive bolt action hunting rifle?

riggins_83

ste.jpg

cccasdf.jpg

There are hunting rifles on the market which feel poor quality, come with bad quality scopes, bad triggers, etc. I've always loved the Stevens 200 rifles as a value rifle; The triggers aren't great however aren't too bad for an inexpensive hunting rifle, the action is smooth and reliable and accuracy is quite impressive. For those who have a lesser expensive hunting rifle as a primary (or a secondary) what did you choose, what did it cost you and what drove you toward that choice?

I don't consider $604 to be "inexpensive". The only rifles I have in that range are higher end AR types but then again I'm a very careful shopper. The last new rifles I bought were Howa/Wby Vanguards @$339 each. Bought a dozen Sightron 3-9x40 scopes and got them for about $90 each.
At least you do have a decent general purpose rifle in the end.

Also, check out the Ruger American. I understand that the street selling price is about $350. They're very new and very accurate for the money.

I don't consider $604 to be "inexpensive". The only rifles I have in that range are higher end AR types but then again I'm a very careful shopper. The last new rifles I bought were Howa/Wby Vanguards @$339

$604 is for the whole package. He paid less for his rifle than you did!

For a variety of reasons I don't like Savage/Stevens rifle, especially long actions, but they are a decent gun. He could have done a lot worse, and a more experienced buyer could have done better on a used gun which is the way I usually buy.

No such thing as "perfect". Lots of ratings from good to excellent, but you don't see "perfect" even when you shave...

It seems these day just about everybody is making a low cost bolt action rifle . CZ , Savage , Ruger and a few others . Its my understanding that there all under $ 500 and shoot well . Some are under $400 . I just bought a Ruger American rifle in 308 for $ 360 ( $420 out the door ). I like it alot . I posted a review of the American Titled( Ruger american rifle in 308 review ) you should check it out . A few people have posted there review there as well as what they think of other sub $ 500 dollar guns

Here is my rifle

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4607/phone2004.jpg

And this is my target at 100 yards

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2682/phone004t.jpg

Last edited:
I can't say that anything would qualify as perfect, but there are plenty that will qualify as good for one reason or another. I like the Stevens 200. My step dad picked one up in .243 for about $275 used, and it keeps groups at 1/2" at 100 yards (when he shoots it, that is, not when I shoot it. He is ex-Army, and has a lot more experience with shooting than I do). I got my Savage 10 7mm08 for under $500 NIB, which some would say fits the category of "budget" rifles. I have been very pleased with it, even with the package scope that came installed.

Most of the "budget" rifles are a compromise of some kind. Reviews that say things like "looks like crap, but shoots well," and "feels cheap, but thats OK for a beater to throw in the truck," are pretty common. I say that if the rifle shoots well, that is the most important factor. Any other criteria are secondary in my opinion. Do I prefer a better looking, better feeling rifle? Sure, but if it puts meat in the freezer, it has done its job, and that's really about all you can ask from any tool.

Last edited:
Riggin's I like that rifle, it'll do anything you need it to, and there some things you probably are capable of doing yourself to really make that dude shoot great!;)

NOT perfect but picked up a MKII Ruger 22-250,with a26'' bull barrel used this weekend.has a 6x18x50 scope,butler creek sling,hard case & 2 boxes of ammo for 310.00.Cried all the way to the range,Wish I could find 2 more like that.I like those kind of deals. :cool:

If you want "inexpensive" buy used.
I just picked up a used Remington 7 in .260 with Leupold VXII scope for less than your new Savage/Stevens. It even came with a nice sling installed and a hard case. This rifle looks almost new.

I bought a 30-06 with a new barrel, built off a Mauser military action including a timney trigger and a Weaver 4x scope/rings for $350.
Definitely cheaper and much uglier than the OP's rifle (and, well, uglier than all the pictured rifles), but it does about 1 MOA and kills elk dead.

DSCF0299.jpg

$350 just as it sits, scope and all.
.308Winchester

care to guess who made it originally?

EWAG! Japanese Arisaka sporter by PO Ackley?

I read in his books that they were the strongest actions he tested, but I don't think he tested any last ditch receivers.

Nice stock as well. I'd probably have to open that grip and have it re-checkered.

The one that meets your caliber requirments, and is in good condition, at the pawn shop.

+1

I recently picked up a M70 Pre-64 FWT action with a #2 Douglas .280 barrel, Brown Precision stock, and Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8X36 scope for $625 out the door from the local pawn shop.

4.jpg

My buddy came over with his son and I was showing my buddy the rifle. His son asked to hold it so I let him, he asked me how much he could buy it for. I told him I needed what I paid for it. His dad said they couldn't afford it, I would have gave it to him if I could so I did the next best thing. I told him if I could keep the scope I'd let him have the rifle for $325, my buddy agreed that was a good price they could afford and they left with the rifle.

Here is a future elk hunter holding his rifle!

codyandhisrifle.jpg

Here is how that 9 year old future elk hunter shoots his rifle at 100 yards email sent to me by his father!

So this is how the rifle shoots in the hands of a 9 year old. Granted he has had a bunch of trigger time for being 9 but I was impressed with his shooting and the rifle!
Load was 53 grains of IMR-4350 and 130 grain Speer bullets, not max but no slouch load either, he said it kicks "insanely" but he shot it 4 times, then went on to shoot the .257 Roberts about 10 shots. Sorry for the picture camera phone. The orange center is 1" and the groups was shot from sandbags at 100 yards.

Codys280group.jpg

Back