What is the most underrated deer caliber?

+1 on the 6mm

Never needed to go with anything bigger with what I've hunted. It's all about shot placement no matter what you use--unless you're hunting with an M203.

I always thought the .284 Win. was pretty good...must be underrated. It's virtually extinct.

Some other underrated rounds:

6.5x55 Swede is a great round that doesn't get much usage here. The .25-06 is a great little round that is less popular around here than the .243. Same goes for the 6mm.

litework, I don't think anyone underrates the .284-- it's just that there are more established rounds that seem to do the same job. Lord knows it's got the power for any deer, and even black bear and elk.

pistol cartridges in a lever gun

30-30 gets a lot a sales and takes deer left and right, but not nearly enough respect from those who use the 30-06.

But, if had it to do over again I might opt for a 357 or 44 mag in a lever gun and then later a revolver to compliment. Either will do fine in PA's woods. A question though: is rifle ammo for these loaded different that pistol ammo? I once heard it was.

I'm going to vote .260 Remington here. Admittedly, I haven't filled any tags with mine, but I fail to see how a 120gr Ballistic Tip or a 125gr Partition is going to leave me disappointed once placed in the right spot on a game animal. Plus it is easy to shoot well and accurate, even in a lightweight like my Mountain Rifle.

I say underrated because gunwriter Col. Boddington has seen the cartridge work well, written about it working well, and still thinks a 7mm-08 is a better choice because of .5mm and a few grains of bullet weight, which is selling the 6.5 short and refusing to accept reality.

Back