What is the most underrated deer caliber?

artsmom

If you had to sift through all of the calibers that are out there today, which one do you look at and say, "I just don't know why this one isn't more popular with deer hunters!" Then maybe, which gun of your own should you use more, but just don't.

If I had to pick a single one, I would pick the .358 Winchester. I don't think it is overkill, doesn't have an annoying belt, it can be made in lever action or bolt action (it was once even offered in an AR type rifle), it isn't as bad for trajectory at the 200-300 yard range as everyone thinks.

My other (for me) is I underrate my .270 Winchester Model 700. I have made some great shots with it, but it usually is never picked first for deer or antelope, always the bridesmaid to the .30-06 or 7mm Mag., even though it has always held up its end.

.243 down to .22 Hornet. Know your effective range and practice, a rock will work just fine if you can throw it right.
~z

The 243/6mm is very popular with deer hunters. It's effectiveness is under rated. Most under rated caliber... 35 Whelan; maybe a tad big for deer as is the 358 Win.

I think the sales numbers for the 30-30 rule it out. It has taken more deer than any other.

.243 or .25-06 get my votes.

I think the sales numbers for the 30-30 rule it out. It has taken more deer than any other.

That's absolutely true, but it seems like noone gets excited about it anyway - "a '.30-30, yeah, that's good for a first gun, I guess"... only talk breathlessly about the newest ultrashort loudenboomer round :D

.35 Remington!

I've taken several deer with my 336 and plan to take many, many more. Never once had any trouble dropping them and my shoulder has no complaints either.

Anything that doesn't have "magnum" in the name is underrated these days, imho. If it's not a WSM, WSSM, etc., then many these days don't give it the respect it deserves.

That's fine. My .270 Winchester will continue to make meat long after the current magnumitis fad is long gone.

I can't agree with the 30-30 either because in a lot of circles it is THE deer cartridge. And when people say things like, "more deer have fallen to the 30-30 than anything else," you just can't consider the 30-30 underated. Still, I don't have a good choice. Maybe the 6.5x55 on big deer way out there?

Long Path you beat me to the draw. IMHO the .257 Roberts may be the most underrated caliber.

(This should be an object lesson in marketing for Bill Alexander, as keeping too tight control on the distribution of a new caliber will result in its being an underrated wildcat for the next century. If I live another hundred years I might change my mind and say the 6.5 Grendel is the one.)

As with anything it depends upon location as to shot distance. I live in N.H. where the average shot is about 40-60yds, but in the vast open west a 300 yard shot isnt uncommon. I personally feel the 257 Roberts with a modern format and the right bullet is one of the most underated rounds out there. I have taken over 30 deer with many calibers and they were no more dead with a 257 than a 350 rem mag. I find that a high percentage of hunters really are over gunned.

The Whitetail isnt so hard to kill, like anything bullet placement is key. I have shot them at a dead run at 70 yards with a 257 and had them drop, also shot them with a 30-06 same bullet placement and had them run 100yds. The most dramatic one was a 30-30 heart shot at 50 yards, one shot and the buck fell over like a switch was shutoff. I was using reloads with the 130gr Speer flatnose. The only other time I had that happen was a head shot and a spine shot.

The 30-30 has been a timeproven round in the dense woods of new England, though limited to 150yds with the right load. I also find too many hunters, especially new ones with too much rifle and their accuracy suffers due to recoil. Older shooters with arthritus learn to appreciate the smaller calibers and soon find that they are just are effective as their larger calibers were. I am probably going to rustle some feathers here, but I feel large bores for deer are only needed for poor hits, they are useful for following that long bloodtrail. I have seen more deer flattened by a well constructed 243 round placed right then one would imagine.

This is not to say one that uses a large bore is wrong in doing so, it may be a favorite gun, only gun, or one may be hunting more than just deer on that given hunt, all I am saying is it isnt needed for deer.

The argument that a more powerful round is needed is a substitude for poor shot placement, or poor shot angle. I feel the whitetail as well as any game deserves more respect than an iffy shot.

Back