What is the most accurate factory rifle on the market today?

What kind of rest will you be utilizing out of the stand? Most mass production rifles, like the Ruger American, are right around 1 MOA now. Not many shooters can take advantage of anything more accurate out of a basic tree stand. They do make some fancy tree stands though.

If it were me in your place I would look on the gun auction sites and see if I couldn't find a used remington model 700 BDL. One that was made at least 10 years ago before everyone started talking about a drop in quality.

Add a good Leupold scope in the $250-350 range. Have the rifle bedded and floated if you don't know how to do it yourself. If the stories of remington triggers bother you then get an after market trigger.

And most of all start reloading if you don't do it already. The 30-06 is one of the best calibers to learn on. Buy good equipment. I am still using the rockchucker press I bought over 30 years ago and have no idea how many thousands of rounds I have loaded on it.

I just last week shot a BDL I bought nearly a year ago for the first time. Mine is in 7x57 mauser. I think it was built around 1992 but I am not sure. It has never been bedded or the trigger worked on. I just grabbed a bag of ammo loaded with 150gr remington bullets and went to the range. I got groups of just over one inch with no load workup.

I have never seen another BDL like this one. It has a very slim barrel and forend. The buttpad is what I think is called an English style pad. Without the scope it only weighs 6.75 pounds. It has cut checkering that wraps around the forend and a classic style stock without the tall cheek piece. I like this rifle better than anything I have seen new on the market.

With shipping I paid $700. Probably too much. But I am a sucker for a 7mm mauser. Plus the new winchesters I was looking at in 7 mauser were $800+ so I am pleased with what I have. There is nothing at all wrong with a used gun.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that at the same time I shot the remington I also shot a Ruger 77MKII in 30-06 that I have had for more than a year and hadn't shot yet. It too shot just under a 1.5" group. I did free float the barrel one it. But no other changes.

I got it off GB for just over $400. It is almost like new with just a couple of small scratches. Deals can be found if you look long enough.

I know you asked about todays factory rifles but I just haven't seen any that impressed me that much. Too much plastic. I like wood and steel and thats getting harder to find and expensive when you do find it.

I'd buy the Sako. I own quite a few of the other cheaper rifles mentioned above and they serve their purpose. For sheer for, finish, precision, feel and quality my Sakos are much better. Then again some people don't care if the action is slick as warm snot and triggers break like a glass rod.

Saltydog I looked at Sako rifles on the website and then on gunbroker. Really nice rifles but above my pay grade. Or at least what I can justify. One 375 H&H was listed for $35,000. Nope I ain't gonna bid on that one. :D

If I were to not own any rifles now and just wanted one I might could see the $1500 and up for one of these. Thanks for mentioning them. I would have never thought to look at the Sako rifles. They are so nice I would probably be afraid to take them hunting.

You can buy a Sako A7 for under $1k, around $1100 -$1300 for the Roughtech. 85's can be had as low as $1300 new. You can find used ones in good shape for $800 or so.

By the time I put a trigger in most Remington's or similar, replace the crap factory stock and a few other things, I can just about buy the Sako.

That said, I like my 700, it's my go to but, that's because I spent a good bit to make it that way.

I think I'm probably going to go the Sako rought when I get ready to purchase. The other 2 I was looking at was the model 70 and the xbolt but both of them are up there around 800 might as well a little extra and get the Sako.

If your intentions are to spend big bucks on a production line rifle. Consider having your rifle custom built to your specifications & measurements. Lots of custom rifle makers with web sites having good reputations and happy customers as their references. Being close to the Holidays you might find a builder offering a hellava deal you can't refuse this time of year.

Saltydog I was talking to one of my shooting buds last night. We were comparing what each had bought in the last few months.

He said he had bought a Sako Forrester in 22-250 at a pawn shop he spends a lot of money at and got it for $700 OTD. He told me the salesman said he got trouble for selling it that cheap. :o But I bet not. They are supposed to have a 300 percent markup so I bet they still at least doubled their money.

That was my point to the OP. There are deals to be had if you just look. I am just not impressed with the new plastic fantastic stuff being offered these days.

Mosin Nagant, find one with a good barrel, scope it, stock it and trigger it......mine is one and a quarter and under 500$ and can match most any 30-06 under 300 yards. Why not......its fun too. Abiet not a lightweight

A labor of extensive love, yes......but it was worth it, stock 100yards

Finished 100 yards.....worth every bit of unknown outcomes of every ciut I made on her

I know I am being a little tongue in check or even snarky as some call it. I just think you have countless options to reach and touch something at 300 that I think your choice in glass is likely more important in your choice of rifle if set on power of 30-06

Back