What is the best pistol ball loader

The process of pressing the balls in will cut groves in the wood. The balls need to be driven home on top of the powder. A wooden down will do fine.

I assume when you use the washer+wrench method that after you run the washer tight the first time, you have to back off and remove the lead rings and then run it down tight again?

Otherwise won't the balls be over-flush by the thickness of the lead rings?

Steve

home made loader

SMOKIN'JOE, thanking you for all of the help you have given me on the questions I have asked on home made loaders.

The kids I shot with found the best to be the old man doting honorary uncle even though he had to work with field expedient hand tools from the cleaning kit. :D

Tnx, Gary

I now have that thing mounted to my shooting box. It comes off and fits in the top drawer for easier transport.

I redesigned the plungers so as to reduce force needed to load and increase my awareness of the pressure I am applying. Don't have jig for five shot pistols.

I must have picked out the worst looking cylinder I own

MOunts to the top of the box like so. The flange remains on the box and the pipe is removed and placed in top drawer when going to the range.

Here is the whole box.

This photo was taken right when the box was finished. It doesn't look like this any more.

What are the negatives to using the lever?

I assume you are asking about the lever on the gun itself?

Some people claim that it stresses the gun. I don't think I believe that, compared to the stress of actual shooting.

But anyway, the biggest advantage to an off-the-gun loader is that it is faster, less "fiddly", and I find I can more consistently drive the balls to the same depth.

It's also easier to apply lube over the cylinder face when it's off the gun.

Steve

I am one who believes

That loading with the lever with the pistol still assembled puts more stress on the pistol than one might think.

If you calculate the mechanical advantage of the lever (In most pistols it is about 9) Multiply that by the force needed to get the ball seated and the stress on the frame can be two hundred pounds.

I know...I know.... These pistols were designed to be loaded using the lever. About a billion pistols were made and used successfully in battle without the benefit of a loading press. There are likely very few examples of steel frame revolvers coming apart during the loading process. (Maybe a higher population of brass frame revolvers).

I agree that the revolver undergoes a good bit more stress during firing than during loading. My thought, though is; If you have a press and are permitted by the event or range rules to use it, Why not use it?

Back