What is "Range Target Practice" ammo? (Federal makes it)

Picked up two boxes of it this weekend with my new Taurus PT709 Slim. Ran like a champ.

It was a few dollars less than I would normally pay for CCI Blazer, S&B, etc.....but, as I said, no issues.

Federal Champion is a light target load. American Eagle is a warmer load, I think the load is the same/similar to the hollow point stuff. RTP is unfamiliar to me.

"In addition, many Military Police units (I won't say all, since I only have experience with the ones I've spoken to) load their sidearms with JHP. I wonder why?"--Gaerek
Because MPs are more likely to encounter criminals (civilians). The Hague Conventions deal with ammo used against enemy combatants. (Yeah, :rolleyes: )
IIRC, it was a political move against the Brits in the 19th Century, since they used bullets that tended to expand in some of their colonial wars.
----
A bit of off-topic reading on the Hague Convention and expanding bullets:
http://www.thegunzone.com/hague.html

Just a side note to the Hague Convention discussion regarding ammo. The agreements signed at the conventions of 1899 and 1907 were in character similar to many such agreements signed by the imperialist powers both before and since: They were obsolete and meaningless when signed.

See by 1899 the transition to smokeless powder was well underway and exposed lead bullets in military rifle rounds were obsolete. In 1892 when the U.S. went to the Krag-Jorgensen rifle it adopted as well the 30-40 Krag round (30 Army) which was a fmj round.

By the time the accords were signed jacketed rounds spitzer bullets and boat tail design led the way. By the mid 1890s Mauser's design was setting a world standard as was the new type ammo they used. In 1903 the U.S. adopted it's version of the Mauser design, the Springfield rifle, and a few years later the 30-06 round. None of these rounds violated the agreements all were state of the art. The agreements only banned out of date ammo in military usage.

tipoc

Last edited:
"Range"Ammo

Some "range"ammo like Cowboy Action rounds are designed for specific sports and probably aren't optimal for self defense.Other ammo for the range like 10mm Blazer or 45ACP 230 gr FMJ will do some real damage and you can carry it.9mm FMJ is one I would only use on the range.Of course more specifics on the defensive use circumstances might determine the choice.

What is "Range Target Practice" ammo

I shoot a lot of this Federal Range Target Practice ammo in 9mm indoors. It is usually a pretty good price $12-14 per box of 50.

I have never had a misfire out of my Glock 19 Gen 4 with it. Good stuff. I don't have the stats on it, but in my view it is hotter and definitely better quality than Federal Champion. The quality is similar to Federal American Eagle, but the load feels hotter than the Federal Eagle. I would take it over either the Champion or Federal American Eagle Ammo assuming competitive pricing between the three.

Somebody mentioned the lead issue for indoor ranges and that makes sense.

Back