What is meant by spalling?

I always had it right but after reading spalling on some vests i was wondering if i had it wrong for 50 years lol

Ball bearings may spall also. Fractures originate below the surface then thin pieces break off .

Wasn't spalling a problem in milling the first stainless steel guns?

Wasn't spalling a problem in milling the first stainless steel guns?

Aarond

To be clear, rivets flying around is not spalliing - it was a time limited aspect of tanks that were assembled with riveted process.

Spalling is the off side of the hit and while not tank specific, generality more applicable to them historical that other.

HESH rounds still try to use the affect and counter to that is anti spall coating inside.

Spalling in the context of bullet impact detaches a section (usually small) from the INSIDE surface of an object struck and sends it flying.
It's not usually meant to describe ancillary bits & pieces like rivets or other items used in the construction of the object that may be dislodged or broken loose.

There are other meanings for spalling in other contexts.
Denis

The strict definition I think is when an object is hit by a projectile the object fragments not the projectile. However, I hear the terminology used when the bullet fragments. Can someone tell me what is correct thank you

In WW1 soldiers covered their faces with steel plates; everything went OK until the plate was hit with a bullet. The bullet strike stretched the plate. The bullet strike caused a dent in the plate on one side and Spalding on the back side. The Spalding had to hurt and if hit in the eyes the shoulder could be blinded.

F. Guffey

Back