What is important to you? YES, YOU!!!

I started hunting in the mid 1970's with a walnut/blue Rem 700. I ended up on some pretty rugged backpack hunts starting about 1977 and quickly discovered that I didn't like wood. By the end of a hunt in 1982 my stock looked like it had been attacked by a family of rabid beaver from the 1970's era backpack's metal buckles and frames. It was always accurate enough, but changes in weather resulted in point of aim wandering all over the place. It had to be re-zeroed every few months.

In early 1983 I ordered a Garrett Acculite stock and then a Brown Precision for another rifle. The stocks cost more than the rifles, but I reduced the weight I was carrying by 1/2 -3/4 lb and found that I could hunt for years and never touch the scope adjustment. I'm 60 now and haven't hunted with a wood stocked bolt gun since I was 25. And have no plans to. My go-to rifles today have McMillan's on them. Even the old 700 now is in a McMillan stock.

Over the last 35 years I've witnessed too many wood stocks either fail or have the POI wander all over the place. I appreciate good wood as much as anyone, but I burn wood in my wood stove by the truck load that looks as good as what they put on 95% of the wood stocked guns on dealers shelves. I do have several older Marlin and Winchester lever guns to scratch the walnut/blue itch when I get it. But want nothing to do with it on my bolt guns.

There is a HUGE difference between the high end stocks and anything else. Most of the mid-priced stocks such as Hogue, Bell & Carlson and HS-Precision are not significantly better than the factory plastic injection molded stocks. In many cases the factory plastic is better. If you're not going to go high end synthetic then my advice is to stay with the factory synthetics instead of after market. I've had very good luck with those. The secret is to give them a generous free float so there is no way for the stock to touch the barrel.

I'm also not a fan at all of plywood stocks. They are the heaviest of all options and in reality offer no advantages over solid wood or cheap synthetics.

You don't get a lightweight stock until you get one made with kevlar. Even the high end fiberglass construction stocks are no lighter than wood. Some of the factory synthetic stocks are a few ounces lighter than wood, but no where near as light as the high end stocks made from kevlar. The mid-priced synthetic stocks are heavier, sometimes MUCH heavier than wood. Having weight reduction is one of the primary reason to go synthetic. Paying $300 for a heavier stock just makes no sense to me when I can pay $500 and get a much better stock that is a 1 1/2 lbs to 2 lbs+ lighter than the $300 stock.

SS vs blue steel. Makes no difference to me. SS is a little easier to keep clean. Blue will develop some surface rust and the blue will wear thin in some areas from use. But if the weather causes either type to fail on you it is due to neglect. Not the type of steel.

I started hunting in the mid 1970's with a walnut/blue Rem 700. I ended up on some pretty rugged backpack hunts starting about 1977 and quickly discovered that I didn't like wood. By the end of a hunt in 1982 my stock looked like it had been attacked by a family of rabid beaver from the 1970's era backpack's metal buckles and frames. It was always accurate enough, but changes in weather resulted in point of aim wandering all over the place. It had to be re-zeroed every few months.

In early 1983 I ordered a Garrett Acculite stock and then a Brown Precision for another rifle. The stocks cost more than the rifles, but I reduced the weight I was carrying by 1/2 -3/4 lb and found that I could hunt for years and never touch the scope adjustment. I'm 60 now and haven't hunted with a wood stocked bolt gun since I was 25. And have no plans to. My go-to rifles today have McMillan's on them. Even the old 700 now is in a McMillan stock.

Over the last 35 years I've witnessed too many wood stocks either fail or have the POI wander all over the place. I appreciate good wood as much as anyone, but I burn wood in my wood stove by the truck load that looks as good as what they put on 95% of the wood stocked guns on dealers shelves. I do have several older Marlin and Winchester lever guns to scratch the walnut/blue itch when I get it. But want nothing to do with it on my bolt guns.

There is a HUGE difference between the high end stocks and anything else. Most of the mid-priced stocks such as Hogue, Bell & Carlson and HS-Precision are not significantly better than the factory plastic injection molded stocks. In many cases the factory plastic is better. If you're not going to go high end synthetic then my advice is to stay with the factory synthetics instead of after market. I've had very good luck with those. The secret is to give them a generous free float so there is no way for the stock to touch the barrel.

I'm also not a fan at all of plywood stocks. They are the heaviest of all options and in reality offer no advantages over solid wood or cheap synthetics.

You don't get a lightweight stock until you get one made with kevlar. Even the high end fiberglass construction stocks are no lighter than wood. Some of the factory synthetic stocks are a few ounces lighter than wood, but no where near as light as the high end stocks made from kevlar. The mid-priced synthetic stocks are heavier, sometimes MUCH heavier than wood. Having weight reduction is one of the primary reason to go synthetic. Paying $300 for a heavier stock just makes no sense to me when I can pay $500 and get a much better stock that is a 1 1/2 lbs to 2 lbs+ lighter than the $300 stock.

SS vs blue steel. Makes no difference to me. SS is a little easier to keep clean. Blue will develop some surface rust and the blue will wear thin in some areas from use. But if the weather causes either type to fail on you it is due to neglect. Not the type of steel.
I'm not in any way contesting what you said. I'm just curious.

In what way does a wood stick affect POI? The scope is mounted to the receiver as are the trigger system and barrel. This conglomerate is housed in the wood stock. But it seems the fluctuation of stock size/shape shouldn't affect how the scope fixes to the receiver or remains parallel to the barrel. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Tallest said:
I'm not in any way contesting what you said. I'm just curious.

In what way does a wood stick affect POI? The scope is mounted to the receiver as are the trigger system and barrel. This conglomerate is housed in the wood stock. But it seems the fluctuation of stock size/shape shouldn't affect how the scope fixes to the receiver or remains parallel to the barrel. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Your right the stock can't affect the scope. However, a wood stock isn't static and will change dimensions some with humidity changes. This can and usually does affect how the barreled action sits in the stock by putting pressure in different places, and because of this change your POI can shift as well.

Both. In competition and defensive guns, reliability, utility, and duability reign. Those are usually coated and polymer.

For fun guns, nice blueing, stainless, or nickel and fine woods are nice.

Your right the stock can't affect the scope. However, a wood stock isn't static and will change dimensions some with humidity changes. This can and usually does affect how the barreled action sits in the stock by putting pressure in different places, and because of this change your POI can shift as well.
I see, I think. The change in the wood size/shape changes the stress and/or tension on the overall weapon.

I even put walnut stocks on my 10/22 carbines. The only plastic guns I own are a couple AR 15s and a Glock and an LC9. These 4 are the only 4 I own that I'm not especially attached to. Rifles with walnut can be just as accurate as the plastic ones. As far as I'm concerned a rifle that isn't accurate is worthless.
I've killed lots of deer and birds, rabbits and squirrels, even a few turkeys. None were killed with a plastic gun.

I have couple rifles with wood stocks and most are McMillan,H&S,MPI and few others.

I have one of Mel Forbes ULA (old company) and stock is about 19oz. I got into BR and was still few shooting wood stocks and with fiberglass stock get little more barrel weight, most actions where glue to stock.

Before moving to Co, I live Bay Area (Ca) and I didn't live too far from Lee Six and Chet Brown was up north. Lee made some stocks for Remington same as H&S/McMillan.

I still have Rem 722,222mag in factory wood stock so I'm not say one is more accurate.

As mention I don't have to worry about POI changing and I can add little more barrel (Length/Contour) and be at same weight as wood.

History, even if I don't know what it is exactly.

I have a 1917 Gew98 that was converted to a K98 at some point, then later rebarreled to 7.62 NATO by Israel. It has Imperial German, post WW1 German , and Nazi era markings as well as IDF stamps, plus some that are a mystery.

If it could talk, I bet it could tell some stories.

Shoots pretty well too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWOePGiaBcM

Probably the tackiest favorite hunting rifle ever. The Ruger M77, Stainless, with the "Canoe Paddle" synthetic stock. FWIW, it may be crap, but I know what I like. Topped it
off with a basic 3-9X40 Leupold scope. Lightweight, weathers and points well, takes
game.

I appreciate the classic look of Walnut and blue steel. That being said, it is only my classics that have it. Once upon a time, they all came with wood and blue steel. Nowadays, wood is a luxury that comes at a premium. I try to live within my means and that (mostly) excludes wood. My biggest gripe with the plastic(besides lack of soul) is the color. I don't like the black plastic. I'm far happier with an olive drab or brown or tan. I also hate scratching and chipping the wood stocks I do have so I shoot them less. I like to shoot my guns and don't want to worry about muffing up a pretty wood stock.

I am a blued steel and walnut or fine wood guy myself. Not that I don't have synthetic stocked guns, as they have their purpose. But they certainly are not "important" to me.
I also prefer older firearms, even though I have a few new guns. My favorite guns (both rifle and pistol) are old. Especially so with rifles, as 90% of the rifles I own are pre 1900 made rifles.
The craftsmanship and materials found in old guns is simply amazing, and I love them. When it comes to shooting and reloading, I also prefer the old hyphenated calibers the most. Sometimes it gets a bit expensive to build up cartridges for these old guns, as I have to form them from other cases, and dies aren't cheap. But I get a certain satisfaction form that part of owning them also.

Back