What is better for home defense? Stock or Pistol Grip?

Patrick,
Okay, you've got me curious. I guess I wasn't holding the shotgun close and tight enough to my side. Nevertheless, I still managed to blow holes where I wanted through a steel 55 gal drum (S&B 00 punched holes through one side, 000 magnums blew a hole through BOTH sides!). BTW - the range to the drum was about 6 yards - the maximum I'd expect in any indoors encounter.

This weekend I'll have to try what you suggest. And maybe I'll try the two handed revolver grip WITH a tree limb just above eye level. I'll hold the 1200 several inches under the limb so that the well-padded limb will catch it when it flys up and if I can't control it before it takes a chunk out of my forehead. With twice the recoil of a 44 mag, it ought to be an experience! :eek:

If all else fails, I'll go back to kicking 2 liter pop bottles through the forest with the stock unfolded so that I can aim for 15 to 25 yard shots.

Patrick,
So true to my promise, I tried the Remington 1200 pistol grip with 2 3/4" S&B 00 buck and Remington 3" 000 buck from both a tightly held side position and a way out front 2-handed & locked wrist revolver grip. The latter was out of curiosity though I can't see why somebody would actually do that unless they had no folding stock and thus no other way to aim for a longer range shot.

Results: The revolver position was awkward because the weapon is so front heavy. Aiming IS possible at 10 to 30 yards but I wouldn't count on getting within a foot of my target center at 25 yards. Okay, with buckshot at that range, I would be accurate enough to be effective. The 2 3/4" shells were a handful though still controllable. Muzzle jump was probably a foot. The 3" magnums were somewhat more of a handful. Though I had a tree limb about a foot above the weapon {just in case}, I soon learned that it was unnecessary since I could control the weapon even with the magnums. Mind you, this is NOT a position I would use unless no other option was available. BTW, my wrists and thumbs are doing fine. The key is to lock one's wrists and have a solid stance. "Limp-wristing" with magnums would break one of that habit real fast!

Now as to the side position. No problem there either (as I have experienced before). I will admit that without ear protection, such a close position STILL has my ears ringing! If used in a confined space 12 gauge, just as .44 magnum, would deafen everyone nearby.

As a side observation from this experience. Compared to shooting 12 gauge from a 2-handed grip, returning to shooting .44 magnum is a pleasure. It sure puts recoil into perspective. Another side observation - the pump action partially automatically, due to recoil, racked the action after each magnum shot. This was not enough to eject the longer shells, but it would be something one should be aware would happen.

In summary, my intended use for the pistol grip is up to several yards. Beyond that I will fold out the stock and aim in the normal fashion. I concur with others here that a pistol grip without at least a foldout stock option is limited in its usefulness to very close quarters and there the tactical problems of weapon retention should be considered.

A coupla things, Solitar.

Suggestion....

Set up a rapid response course of some type.
Use your pet vs a standard stocked weapon of the same model. Shoot for both score and time.If you don't do better with the standard stock,EVEN AT VERY CLOSE RANGE, the first round's on me.

And, the partial racking you describe is the reason a good hand with a pump can actually cycle the action faster than some Semi autos like the A-5. A long time hunting buddy was amazed that I,and another friend with an Ithaca pump, could get off repeat shots while bird hunting faster than he could and he's an excellent shot and hunter.Shoots a little better than me, but not faster...

About folders.....

Imagine you're in a crisis, Condition Red/Black/Orange, however. The LAST thing you need is to have to make a decision as to when to deploy that stock.The standard stock presents no such dilemmas and works well at any range.

Okay,
So I deploy the stock and leave it that way unless conditions require otherwise.

Thanks all for your input.

Meanwhile, I must make do with what I have.

18-inch 12 gauge Winchester 1200 with 6pk sidesaddle & Butler creek folding stock.

Full length Mossberg 20 gauge with adj. choke.

32-inch double barrel 10 gauge, {yes, of Spanish make}

So someday when I get flush or run into a good buy or both, I'll get a full-stock Remington 870.

Back