What is a S&W14-3 going for these days?

Speaking from a pawn brokers point of view, although people aren't necessarily paying extra for an old box with a used gun, it certainly does help sell them when included and can command a premium.

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but in each of those cases where the box came along with the gun, the existence of the box was not revealed to me until after the deal had been struck. So how can the inclusion of the box have had any effect on the price, or how could it have helped sell the gun, since it was not revealed until later that the box existed? It would be one thing if the ticket on the gun had said 'includes box', but it didn't. Or if the gun was in the display case with the box, but they were not. In each case, the box was in the back room, and after the deal had been struck it was revealed there was a box. The inclusion of a box simply did not enter into the deal.

I keep saying over and over again. If you are being charged extra because the box is included, as long as it is not an extremely rare box, you are being overcharged.

S&W Model 27 with box.

model%2027%2007_zpszq97oozg.jpg

This S&W Model 63 came with everything, the box, the original papers, and the tools still in their plastic bag.

Model%2063_zpsrydehfkg.jpg

This Flat Top 357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk came with the box and all the papers.

357%20Mag%20with%20Box%2001_zpscgpv9v3m.jpg

This Beretta Model 71 came with two barrels, the box, the original sales tag, the original sales slip from 1985, and even a form from the US Army giving the original owner, who was a serviceman in Italy at the time, permission to buy the pistol.

model%2071%20with%20box_zpssizzjwam.jpg

The presence of a box had nothing to do with the price, or desirability of any of these guns.

I certainly understand your point Driftwood. I also appreciate it is your personal opinion.

It does not mean everyone agrees with you. Others are not necessarily wrong for paying extra for a firearm with a factory box, tools and documents. Some price guides come with a category of pricing stating ANIB. It is the top price category standing for As New In Box. There are collectors who insist upon this category and pay extra for it.

Many of us, and it appears you do the same, keep the box and goodies when it happens to accompany the firearms we acquire. Many of us do think it might just make them a little more desirable when it is a top condition firearm. I agree it will not bring much if any additional value to a shooter grade firearm in less than 80% condition; although it might bring a smile to the face of the buyer.

I have a 14-3. Shows some holster wear and I had to refinish the stocks. Paid $100 for it on Gunbroker. But that was about 12 years ago.

standard.jpg

Masterpiece

Fantastic gun. This was my daughter's first centerfire revolver.

I would estimate $500 if the 14 is in nice condition.

I keep saying over and over again. If you are being charged extra because the box is included, as long as it is not an extremely rare box, you are being overcharged.

You can keep repeating yourself all you want but that doesn't change the fact that many people are willing to pay more for the box and that's just how it is. I'm sure you'd agree with the point that there's room for a lot of different opinions and buying/selling attitudes that won't always mesh with the ones you entertain.

By the way, if you really think boxes don't matter nor add to the value of a firearm, why are you keeping the ones you (rightly) proudly displayed? I don't save the boxes my cereal comes in; they are of no value so I throw them out. For the same reason (which you've already espoused), why don't you throw all those worthless old gun boxes out? ;) :D

I have a 14-3. Shows some holster wear and I had to refinish the stocks. Paid $100 for it on Gunbroker. But that was about 12 years ago.

SaxonPig, thirty years ago that would have been a great price! Very nice revolver, indeed.

Twice a large local gun shop gave me the wrong box.
Revolvers on display in the display case. Counterman just goes in the back and grabs the first box that fits and puts it on the counter. So my 696 will never have the 'correct' box. And a couple others.

Nice gun, you'll never regret buying it. Whenever I'm in a slump, I take the Model 14 to the range because it just makes me look better as a shooter.

Not too long ago I bought a 14-3, no box, excellent condition, rebarreled and refinished at the factory, for $600 and was glad to get it. It's a real pleasure to shoot. Did I pay a few dollars too much? Maybe, maybe not. I tend not to let the cost of a box or two of shells in price difference get in my way. Won't matter to me in 10 years and in the meantime I have a gun I had been looking for and have enjoyed the heck out of it. Hope yours is as much fun to shoot.

I have bought 4, S&W 38s this year. Two 14s no dash and one is NIB, a 15 and
a M&P Target. All guns in hi condition. $550 was highest I paid for the NIB. I only
buy P&R guns and don't pay any attention to newer models.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 12
Back