What is a S&W14-3 going for these days?

DavidABQ

Inactive
The LGS has a Smith and Wesson 14-3 sitting in their gun case and I am awfully tempted to go down an purchase it. It would look really nice next to my K22 Masterpiece.

I just have no idea what a fair price is for one of these?

It appears to be in fairly good condition; the bluing shows a little holster wear and it has the S&W target grips on it.

What sort of price range should something like that go for?

Thank you everyone.

You said "price range."

A range of $375 to $650 exists, I suspect.

But what's it worth to you and only you?

Howdy

I came across this 14-3 from 1974 a couple of years ago. It is in mint condition. Not the slightest bit of wear, not even near the muzzle. In fact, it looks like it has hardly been fired at all in all that time.

model14-301_zps7d629ba9.jpg

model14-302_zps27a85ad6.jpg

The price on it was $550, which in these parts is a terrific price for a Model 14 in this condition. So of course I asked if they would take $500. The gun was on consignment and they had to ask the owner. I doubted he would move, but they said they would call me back. When the phone rang a couple of hours later, and they said he would take $500, I couldn't get to the store fast enough.

When the store owner saw the price he blinked, and said it should have been priced higher. But that was the deal. Then he said, there was a box in the back room.

model14-3box01_zps11bcad92.jpg

model14-3box02_zps33983522.jpg

I ain't saying you will find one in this condition for that price, but that's what I paid for this one.

Thank you sir, now I have an idea. I didn't take a photo but if I go ahead and buy it then I will certainly post a photo of it here.

I am terrible at guessing prices (and that's all we do here is guess at them) but assuming the gun is a high end shooter grade at least 95% finish, likely somewhere in the $450-$600 range.

You don't mention the asking price and you don't mention the part of the country the gun is located. The price can vary from location to location. You also don't mention the barrel length.

Very Good condition should be around $450.00, but the other variables will certainly impact the value. Value to many will also depend upon whether it comes with factory box, tools and various papers.

How does the action and mechanics check out on the revolver?

Very Good condition should be around $450.00, but the other variables will certainly impact the value. Value to many will also depend upon whether it comes with factory box, tools and various papers.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that, and I can't tell you how many times I have found it not to be true. I have bought lots of revolvers, and the price was agreed on before there was any mention of boxes, tools, or papers.

My 14-3 is a case in point. The asking price was $550, which I whittled down to $500. Nowhere was there any mention of a box. As I said, after I showed up to pick it up, the owner of the shop said there was a box, and brought it out of the back room. The presence of a nice box had no impact at all on the price.

I picked mine up during the height of the gun panic for $600.00. It's not mint but in really nice condition, and even though I've seen them cheaper since then I don't regret what I paid for it. It's an amazing shooter and really makes me look better than I am. But, at the time I purchased mine nice ones were also going as high as $700.00 so I felt I made a fair deal.

It is fine with me if you disagree Driftwood Johnson. Firearms, like other items, are worth what the seller is willing to sell for and the buyer is willing to pay.

If you will notice in my post, I stated value to many will be worth more with the associated factory packing. In your case, you are not among the many I mentioned. So be it.

We do not have pictures of the revolver and do not know the condition either mechanically or appearance wise. We also do not know what price the seller is asking. So, your opinion is no better than mine. This past year's publication of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Surpica/Nahas used the figure I mentioned in the condition I stated. There are many other variables which will effect the value.

There appears to be several of us attempting to assist the OP without much to base our assistance.

A Smith & Wesson Model 14-3, "excellent condition", currently listed for $600.00 at a gun shop in South East Michigan.

If you will notice in my post, I stated value to many will be worth more with the associated factory packing. In your case, you are not among the many I mentioned. So be it.

Right now I'm looking at a pile of about a dozen boxes on top of my safe. If I run upstairs there will probably be a few more. Each one of those boxes came with a revolver I bought used. In every case, it was an instance of the shop owner saying 'wait, I have the box in the back', or something to that effect. Not one of these revolvers cost more because a box was included.

Here is a sample of six photos, because we can only attach six photos per post on this forum.

32%20Single%20Action_zpszhmf3orr.jpg

32safetyhammerlesswithbox_zps6a26bd76.jpg

policepositive32inbox_zpscb9989ee.jpg

singlesixwmr04_zpsbe3565d7.jpg

How cool is this? This Model 31 came with the original sales slip!

Model%2031%2032%20Reg%20Police%2002_zps7gch0sca.jpg

model%2013-2%2001_zpsslse63t5.jpg

I have said this over and over again on this and other forums. I find used guns with their original boxes all the time. If somebody is paying extra for the box, he is getting ripped off.

If it has some holster wear but otherwise looks good, I say $500 or less is a good deal. The Model 14 is the perfect companion to the K-22 or Model 17.

Speaking from a pawn brokers point of view, although people aren't necessarily paying extra for an old box with a used gun, it certainly does help sell them when included and can command a premium.

I would price the 14-3 driftwood pictured at $699 and would have no issue getting that for it. I'd snatch it up personally for $600.

Back