What is a good laser ?

mp40

I AMLOOKING TO GET A LAZER TO PUT ON MY m&p 40 5 in. What is a good middle of the road not the best 600.00 but in the 200.00 or less range that is accurate and reliable?

What kind of laser:

Grip or rail or other?

Red or green or other?

With/ without light?

Weight concerns?

Activation type?

etc etc etc

a Rail Green dot with out a light. I think I can be more accurate out at 20yrd with a laser and want one for home protection any way. any suggestions on brand or particular model?

Laser aimers....

The 2 big names in the US laser aiming system market are Lasermax & Crimsontrace.com .
These brands have been around for years.
CT, www.crimsontrace.com has a free 2013 consumer DVD that explains tactics & the different lasers.

A new laser system, Viridian has high tech green lasers but the handgun models are not cheap.
FWIW, green is far better than red but it costs more, uses more battery power faster & can get hot.

Some gun owners & armed professionals knock lasergrips & laser aiming systems but I think they have merit under limited conditions.

Clyde

To play with, to practice with to see how much you need to practice holding steady while you press the trigger, to impress your friends with your tacticool weapon.......any
To trust your life to in a srlf defense situation...none!

Don't expect any laser to help you for target practice. The dot just dances all over the place. It does help in low light conditions for self defense when an iron sight picture is impossible.

Crimson Trace for handguns, Burris for ARs. The CTC DVD has some good info too.

Don't neglect to practice conventionally sighted shooting. That said, people who bag on lasers are largely ignorant of their benefits and utility. I was in that camp until I got some given to me and tried them out. I was a reluctant proponent for a while, but I am slowly becoming an advocate for them. When you understand their benefits and see how they factor into real life shootings in which they are used, the facts can not be denied.

I have Crimson Trace on 3 different revolvers, and I like them all. I think I can shoot better with a laser than with iron sights, although that is partly because I have reached the age where my eyes don't focus on the iron sights as well as they used to.

robhof

Another vote for the Crimson Trace, I've put hundreds of rounds through my Beretta 92 with one and it still works fine. Stay away from the green lasers, they are more powerful and can be seen farther, but eat batteries. They're good for 1 or 2 range sessions at the most. The laser is helpful in a tactical mode, as you don't have to sight your weapon, just place the dot on the target and watch from a different point.

I had decided against a laser for my SR45 and figured a small handheld flashlight would serve my purposes but I got to thinking and changed my mind. The primary purpose of my handgun is home defense. If I am woken up in the middle of the night buy an intruder bent on causing me or my family harm by the time I grab the gun stretch out my arm and take aim I would probably have already left the planet. Anyway, I purchased a Crimson Trace Rail Master red laser I am satisfied with it and it performs well.

I liked Viridians until I tried one, would not hold zero for much longer than 20-30 shots....

Bought brand new X5L... Also didnt work for me as I instinctively prefer to bring a gun up to sight in and view the front sight, basically covers the green dot, it just never felt right to me holding the gun differently and using only the laser to sight in on the target.

CT issues....

I owned a CT lasergrip for my Taurus Protector .357magnum Ti series in 2004.
The red dot was adjusted to POA/POI but the - was the metal screws stuck out a bit.
This minor problem caused small cuts in my shooting hand(left hand) :( .
I covered it with a a bit of tape but that quickly wore off with sweat/moisture.

With the increased use of 1913 type systems on most semi-auto models, Id lean more towards a laser/white light that works on the frame not the pistol grip.
The extra weight helps control muzzle flip & recoil too. ;)
My friend & I shot my M&P Compact .45acp with a Glock 65lum white light on the 1913 rail. It worked well for me.

Quote: Don't expect any laser to help you for target practice. The dot just dances all over the place.

Sounds like it could be used to help quite a lot. __________________
That's exactly what It does help with. Learning a steady hold, and smooth trigger pull.

Crimson trace grip laser with front activation + surefire x300 ultra

If you want combo the try any of the insight/eotech, streamlight, and surefire offerings

Quote:
Quote: Don't expect any laser to help you for target practice. The dot just dances all over the place.

Sounds like it could be used to help quite a lot. __________________

That's exactly what It does help with. Learning a steady hold, and smooth trigger pull.

I agree with MTT TL and Cheapshooter. The "dancing dot" only reflects what's actually happening with the sight picture. It may be a little unnerving for some shooters to realize that no hold will ever be perfectly static (Bullseye shooters have called this phenomena the "wobble area"), but it makes the laser a good learning tool.

None?

I've used lasers, and have yet to find one I like. My irons don't have batteries that can die at inconvenient times, and the little tritium inserts give me a nice site picture, even in low light.

If you like them, more power to you. I personally believe in most cases, the disadvantages of a laser outweigh the advantages.

Back