What is a "Car Gun?"

Denny is a good man and what happened to him was not his fault. But a situation like his brings something to the clear maybe.

The op says...
To me, a “car gun” bridges the gap between a routinely carried concealed weapon and a full-fledged battle weapon.

If I'm driving a 18 wheeler and "a mob" tries to stop me I can stop, get my "bridge the gap" weapon and try for a shoot out, or I can keep on driving. That vehicle is a much more effective weapon they any gun I could have on or near me.

If any such should occur to me then I'd rather have a handgun than a carbine with me as I try to drive. From inside a vehicle a handgun is much easier to move around than an M4 or a AK pistol or some such.

When Don says:

I think that the idea of a gang attacking you in your car is really going over the hill with paranoia!

He's a bit off but maybe closer to the mark of truth than some.

It's good to plan and good to have a vehicle that can help get you out of a number of kinds of trouble. No Mini Cooper's for me. Also nothing that attracts too much attention from the cops or folks who might want to break in looking for guns or goodies.

It's common to be stopped by the cops. Not true that angry mobs are common. Coin toss as to which is more dangerous. :)

tipoc

I'll add a couple of thoughts. My car gun, because I don't carry every time I leave the house, is a decent Chinese 213 Tok clone in 9mm. It wouldn't bother me if it was scratched or dinged while doing duty in my vehicle.
As to the theft concerns, my vehicle, as do most, has an alarm. That doesn't mean it won't get broken into, it just that a LOT of home don't even have that. If you don't have a secure safe, your gun/guns may be more vulnerable than some people are aware off. I certainly don't want to start an argument, just saying more guns, according to my insurance agent, are stolen from residences than from automobiles, according to my insurance agent.

Cheap or common enough it can be replaced, but not some junk that if you actually needed it, it would fail. No stats, but I wouldn't he doesn't surprised car guns get used more than some. Still probably .0001%.

What self defense gun gets used most, civilians? Bedroom, around the house gun, carry, car? Dunno. Car goes more places than bed. I worry more out of the house . But if you live places people shouldn't, maybe house gunso get used more. Dunno.

OK, let's splain it to ya
A bird gun is for shootin birds, right?
An elephant gun is for shootin elephants, right?
So, a car gun must be for shootin what?
Gotta larn folks everthing nowdays!

I don't do the "victim blaming" thing. If some scumbag breaks into my locked vehicle and takes my gun that's on him not me. It's like blaming some lady for wearing revealing clothing and gets assaulted in a bad part of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do the "victim blaming" thing. If some scumbag breaks into my locked vehicle and takes my gun that's on him not me. It's like blaming some lady for wearing revealing clothing and gets assaulted in a bad part of town.

Interesting analogy. Would you also consider yourself blameless if you left your gun or a box full of money on the seat of an unlocked car in a bad part of town and it got stolen? Is there any point at all where you accept any responsibility or assume any vestige of "common sense", knowing that there are very likely potential lawbreakers in the area?

What is a "Car Gun?"

Interesting analogy. Would you also consider yourself blameless if you left your gun or a box full of money on the seat of an unlocked car in a bad part of town and it got stolen? Is there any point at all where you accept any responsibility or assume any vestige of "common sense", knowing that there are very likely potential lawbreakers in the area?

Clearly I said locked vehicle...and hidden out of out sight for that matter. Potential lawbreakers are everywhere. I choose to not live in fear. It's why I carry in the first place. I even have a NRA sticker on my bumper. I'm really rolling the dice!! No, don't give thugs and criminals too much credit. They aren't known for their high IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more we store guns in cars the more will be stolen. I only keep a gun for brief periods of time in a locked container in a locked vehicle on rare occasion that I can't carry. My state allows you to keep a gun in your vehicle without having a CHL. Thieves know this too as more guns are kept in cars on a regular basis.

The 92 cities and counties that responded to the request by deadline on Friday collectively reported more than 10,500 guns stolen from cars in 2015.

Pasted-image-at-2017_03_03-05_36-PM-720x0-c-default.png

http://www.thetrace.org/2017/03/as-thefts-of-guns-from-cars-surge-police-urge-residents-to-leave-their-weapons-at-home/

For me it's one I have intended for that use. If it's not a "car gun" it's just a gun in the car.

Something reasonably short, with easy access, that won't blow out your eardrums if the coyote won't wait around for you to put in hearing protection, as an example.

jeepm.jpg

FAS1, what does your graph prove or point to?

Some of you people should move, or watch where you park your vehicle. I have been lucky, my job had me in the city for awhile. Nothing bad happened. I think much longer I would have quit. I realize cars can get broke into anywhere, but statistics are statistics.

I weigh the value on me having a gun every morning pretty high. I realize some of you guys are better men than me, and never forget. But I do. I would even more so, if I had to go into the safe every day to get my carry gun.

Leaving a gun lying in plain site, is different than hidden, atleast to me. I suspect most are smash and grabs too.

FAS1, what does your graph prove or point to?

Berserker, It's pretty self explanatory, but you could read the linked article for complete context.:rolleyes:

In my opinion, as we the gun owners have and carry more and more guns, we should just take as much risk out as we can from someone stealing them out of our vehicles. Keeping a car gun is different (and the risks are different) than occasionally needing to lock you CCW in your vehicle when you can't carry in a GFZ, that's all.

If I worked in an environment that I couldn't carry, I would still want my gun with me to and from work, so I understand the need for many people to leave their gun in the car on a regular basis. I would probably make sure my car had an alarm, the doors are locked, nothing of value in view, and some way to lock my gun up, probably with a locking container in the trunk or rear area.

Yes, I have had a vehicle broken into during the day at a shopping center while eating lunch on a Saturday. The locked door didn't even slow them down, but the alarm going off probably scared them away with only a couple items they grabbed from under the rear seat. I realize that my vehicle can end up anywhere in my travels and that a locked door by itself is no real deterrent, same as my home for someone that really wants to gain access.

We harden both with additional security, cameras, alarms, extra locks all in the effort to protect our stuff, by slowing them down a little or scaring them off a little quicker. While we may get "lucky" and nothing happen, I myself just take a few extra steps to keep all my stuff, not just guns secure. I don't even leave my Oakley sunglasses in my vehicle. :cool:

I'm also pretty sure that many of those guns that were stolen from cars were from vehicles with unlocked doors. I see the story around here in the news all the time where they just go through a neighborhood pulling on door handles. That goes to show how irresponsible some gun owners are.

I question the criteria of "intimidating"

The notion that " I'm a'gonna be the man in control of this situation cuz I'm going to get a BIG,SCARY gun out,and everybody will do a I say or,or,or,I'll rack the slide and folks will know I'm serious!! If that doesn't work...I'll cock the hammer!!"

Brandishing to intimidate is a crime.

Likely you understand that.

Back