What inaccuracies can we dispel?

hmmm

Be alert to your surroundings.

Perhaps because I was brought up in Brooklyn NY It is a natural thing for me to notice particular people and their actions.

Those extra few seconds will make a difference.

Posted by BlueTrain:
There's nothing inaccurate there. But that isn't to suggest it's easy. Some believe you need to be able to draw in less than a second. I'm not that fast but I guess everyone else is.

Someone in another thread mentioned that it takes three seconds to kick in your front door. You have to read the whole forum. Everything's connected, if only loosely. I've don't know of anyone whose front door was kicked in, even loosely.

However, if we leave out the running part, I don't see why everything else doesn't remains valid. Drawing the gun in under three seconds is directly related to someone kicking in your front door or even your rear door.
What is it that you are trying to say?

What is your standard for an adequate reaction time?
Quick enough avoid running over someone, getting run over, getting mugged, getting shot, getting hit by a falling branch, getting burned--whatever.

This is going to be a fun thread I can tell. It's like being in a helicopter watching a car parked on the train tracks below.

One man's inaccuracies ultimately turn out to be another man's religion or policy. And you know how folks love to calmly discuss religion and politics! Yay!

If I were really religious, I wouldn't own a gun.

I'm pretty sure I can draw from concealment (assumed requirement) in three seconds or less but not absolutely, positively sure. And anyway, that's only starting from when I decide to draw. That can be a sticking point.

I've been to Brooklyn, even to the Bronx. I've even stood on Flatbush Avenue completely unarmed and lived to tell about it. Of course, there was no one else in sight at the time and the getaway car with my driver was right there.

This has been about speed. I think we're discussing accuracy somewhere else.

Posted by BlueTrain:
I'm pretty sure I can draw from concealment (assumed requirement) in three seconds or less but not absolutely, positively sure.
That would give a violent attacker running at an average speed time to cover about fifteen meters.

It is widely held that a trained and practice person carrying openly can draw in half that time. My draw from concealment is not very much slower than second and a half plus decision time, but if there is an inaccuracy to dispel here, it is that drawing in a second in the half would likely be sufficient to stop someone charging from 21 feet.

Two reasons: shooting will not effect an immediate stop, and if he closes all the distance, you are in a lot of trouble.

Does that mean I need to put the five feet back in? And are you assuming that I or anyone else is just going to stand there? Is that fifteen meters from a standing start? If he is only, say, six meters away, does that mean you're a gonner?

The time I mentioned is not timed by anyone else with a stopwatch. Just me looking at a clock and being conservative. It's also with chamber empty for practice purposes. And I don't know how to figure in reaction time, which is critical. If someone is timing you, or if you're actually expecting something imminent, it's one thing. It something happens totally unexpectedly, that's another. I suppose that's where experience comes in but most of lead pretty peaceful lives around here.

In my practicing over the years, however, drawing from concealment creates the most problems. From an exposed Jordan-style holster with a heavy-barrel K-frame revolver, the times are much faster. You may remember that in the 1950s, all of this was being done with single-action revolvers, though rarely with live ammunition. I should think that a trained person "in good training" should be able to draw--and make a hit--in less than a second, on a good day. We all have our bad days.

The last thing you mention makes me think that shooting is a poor second choice to running. Perhaps I should practice running more than drawing.

If he is only, say, six meters away, does that mean you're a gonner?
If you rely solely on drawing and firing, it means you are in a heap o' trouble.

The last thing you mention makes me think that shooting is a poor second choice to running. Perhaps I should practice running more than drawing
If you can safely retreat without abandoning loved ones, you probably should.

In any event, movement could sure help.

I'm old, and lazy, mostly lazy. It will probably take me three seconds to get off the couch.

But I always stand around, or set with my hands in my pocket. A habit I developed a long time ago. My wife even laughs saying she cant find a picture of me where my hand isn't in my pocket.

Having said that, there is also a revolver in that pocket. It takes me less then 0.5 seconds to draw and fire it.

Last tested yesterday in a demonstration of the necessity of speed in SD. One of my students used the shot time and it took .46 seconds.

If I were really religious, I wouldn't own a gun.

That's an easily dispeled inaccuracy, unless the post was literal about "a" as opposed to "many" guns.

One would not need to be a history scholar to know that many "really religious" folks arm themselves.

kraigwy - I take it the 0.46 seconds was NOT while seated on the couch :D

I can't even come close to that time drawing potato chips out of the bag!

While not everything I say is meant to be taken literally, when I said if I were really religious, I wouldn't own a gun, I mean I wouldn't own any guns at all. And I also wouldn't own anything worth stealing either. We apparently have different ideas about religion. Christianity started going downhill when it became legal, followed by when it became required. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't kill someone. It would land me in a lot of legal trouble and probably upset the person's relatives.

Returning to running away, I understand there are laws in some places that require people to retreat when possible. Of course, it's not always possible, such as where I sit now upstairs at home.

I think one's reaction time or lack of, is going to make more difference than anything when something happens. Some people won't react no matter what happens, while others will react almost instantly, like in the incident aboard the French train. So ultimately, it isn't so much about weapons and training, it's about reacting. Curiously, on the train, it wasn't the bad guy who was charging, it was the good guys.

Even today we're buying land in the heart of the city--Ivy Hill Cemetery in Alexandria, Virginia.

Hokey smoke BlueTrain, go get your Colt! The way things are now, if you don't like it and want to get rid of it you might be able to MAKE some money on the deal.

Good luck.

The biggest inaccuracy that can be dispelled (maybe) is that you can be prepared for anything, even with situational awareness. Training and awareness are a huge help, but luck plays a huge part.

I grew up in NYC and was in HS during the Lindsay administration. I went to a private school whose uniform was blue blazer, grey slacks, white shirt, and tie (ie, walking target). I was 15, armed with a briefcase containing 20 lbs of books, and an attitude that came with having already been mugged twice. There was that moment when you suddenly realize that everyone around you is ignoring you except for this skinny kid who is approaching you.

He steps in front of me, opens his jacket, displays a butcher knife tucked into his belt, and demands 20 bucks. I've rehearsed my response to this situation and prepared to pit my loaded briefcase against his belted knife (yes, stupid but I was 15). Here comes the weird luck part.

As the crowd continues to ignore us, my mother actually steps out of the crowd and asks me who my little friend is. I mean that literally. The kid now has his hand inside his jacket. I decide that I need this situation to end quickly and nonviolently. I reach into my pocket, come up with the $10 that's in there and offer it to the kid while telling my mother that he's an acquaintance from school who wanted to borrow bus fare.

The kid grabs the $10 and scampers off. My mother questions me about when I expect to be repaid. I made something up because she did not need to know.

The above is why I purchased a revolver and learned to use it when I moved to PA. I pocket carry something smaller now, but know that it's better to be prepared but also that nothing can make you totally prepared.

If we can't discuss religion, I doubt we can discuss politics. But let's go off on another tangent.

Is advertising always truthful or accurate? Advertising years ago was decidedly full of exaggeration and hyperbole. For instance, Colt used to claim that their .38 Super could kill any game animal in North America. Do you suppose that was true, at least in a useful sense? Some small revolver calibers in the past, including .22 rimfire, were sometimes described as "powerful." But we learned not to believe everything we read since then.

We have, haven't we?

Since we are in the political season, how about this myth? "Nobody wants to take your guns away."

That there are anti-gun politicians is an extension of the quoted post above. It is just that some are less anti-gun than others.

Back