What if you found a Thompson submachine gun?

IIRC I saw an ad in the early '70s for an Auto Ordinance new production 22LR Thompson full auto. I think they were a few thousand bucks then. I would love to have one of those. I couldn't afford to shoot a 45cal Thompson legal or not. In the unlikely event that I found one I would certainly turn it in rather than risk losing my 2nd amendment rights along with the jail time.

I worked for a local PD in upstate NY. A widow came in with full auto Thompson in Cosmoline. It was a WWII bring back that her husband had. It was in the evidence room for a long time and the last that I heard. it was donated to the West Point Museum. It was an awesome gun.

If I found one, I would report it and already have a plan to have it donated directly to a big museum. Hopefully it would get chopped up. I would not just keep it. It is easy to say just keep it but you don't really know who would see it and then report it. What fun would it be to own the real deal Tommy gun and never show it off or shoot it? It is not worth going to jail for.

The treatment of found full auto souvenirs and the 1911 with serial number filed off by a nervous pilferer, now deceased or elderly, is kind of a fringe area of gun control. Hard to argue against, but repressive none the less.

Well, it wasn't a Thompson...

When I was 12 years old, my Mom and I found a sawed off single shot 12 gauge and a white canvas bank bag on the side of SR 180. The bag had the name of some bank from Kentucky IIRC. (there was no money in the bag) We took it to the Sheriff's dept. and Mom filed a report.

I'm fairly certain that the ATF would allow you to disassemble the gun and give them the receiver. The parts kits for many of these guns are quite valuable. This WWII collector who's an FFL that me and my friend both know from the gun shows supposedly did that years ago. He is a standard FFL, not a class 3 however.
The story was that he had an old woman hand him a MP40, and he gave up the receiver and kept the parts kit. I think he also got a parts kit for a MG42 the same way. I should ask him the next time I see him...

I can't see why they'd want to cut up all parts, such as the barrel or trigger etc when they are available anyway. Now of course the receiver, thats different.

Last year the owner of the range I belong to, who is also a PD detective, received a Thompson from a widow that had never been registered. He contacted a local ATF agent who allowed the detective to take possesion of it and sell off the parts for the widow. He said it was a sad day when he watched the ATF slice the receiver into three pieces on a band saw.

I had a handfull of those "things" way back. But a few months before the '86 law was to take effect a cop buddy gave me some real sound stern advice..get rid of them ASAP.. too many know you got'em and when the law changes someone just might make a career of fyour butt. I disassembled them all , saw cut the receivers , put all the bits in a big box and sold them all the Recon Ordnance in wisconsin. He did the paperwork on them to "manufacture" them as transferable. At least those emmagees got new legal life , and I got some scratch. About 10 years ago I got a call from a "picker"... he had a lady whom inherited her dads "bringbacks" and was looking for money for them. Of course I expected a nice couple pistols and or rifles of german origin. I found an Mp44 in good shape and a really super MP40. Neither had a magazine.. and of course in no way were they ever registered. I told her since my "picker" freind new of them and now me , and her worthless brother she had best destroy them now. I offered to torch up the receivers and sell the parts - probably could of got her $2k for the bits. She acted like I was trying to rip her off. I graciously explained the circumstance these never to be legal autos presented her...she simply put them back in the overseas bag and shoved them under the bed. I never talked to that lady again and would'nt to this day. I could just see her addict brother selling them on the street or somehting as bad , and they were too ignorant/greedy . Had a fella one time at show with a couple of those vopo K/43's. One had "the switch". I showed the dealer and advised him to strip it down for parts on the spot and take the reaceiver out to his big old truck and bend it all to hell on his big redneck bumper. Nope , he just put it in a sleeve and snuck it out the door. There was a guy ( dealer ) whom was trying to peddle a fair condition 1st model FG42 at the show ... nobody really cared for the guy and there already was a quiet rumor he was on the hook working for the man. He was taking it into th ebathroom wrapped in a GI blanket with a story of hoow it came out of a vet's attic. I offered him $500 for the magazine and he replied "I only want a grand for the whole thing"....Knew right there it was real bad ju ju... the magazine alone was worth that and he knew. Did'nt take long for th eshow promoter to get an earful of the guys doings and he ran him ou tthe door quickly and oddly enough some clean cut types came form the lets say the shadows to help him load up and out on the spot.
On emore... Knew an old vet whom was a longtime cop. He loved guns and had no shortage of soem superb stuff... he saved alot of MG's and got them legal before the sun set on that. His reputation on that note and he always advertised through friends and fellow cops looking for anything shooterwise.His profuse gun knowledge and collection and his stories on saving many MG's apparently got him some unwanted attention. He got a call one day from someone he did'nt know saying he was referred to him by someone he hardly new well. He was'nt a stupid cop now mind you. The guy came over with a friend and produced in his kitchen a minty M1A1 thompson. They talked at length and he just new these guys were a sting from the get go. He excused himself wiht the tommy to the attached garage and cut it in two with his acetylene torch...brought it back into the "guys" and dropped it on the table. He said their jaws hit the ground and the talker of the two had a red face like the devil. He told them he said as he dropped it on the table something to the effect he saved them from alot of trouble they were looking to get into. Short time later through the grape vine he understood some ATF types had a hard on for him due to that 'incident'. Nothing ever came of it but he did go out of his way to visit their branch office and popped in to say hello to the "agent" whom posed as the seller just to rub it in ..guy had brass moxy !. Oh well that's enough already.

OK, somebody explain me this. Supose I discover this old widow that has a Tompson she has no idea what to do with that agrees to sell me the parts kit for $50 (I'm a real nice guy, with a soft spot for old widows), leaving her the reciever to turn in to the BATF(E).
When I show up at the old gals house with my little tool kit and stuff and take this unregistered automatic weapon in my hands to begin work on it, knowing full well and demonstratively its status, in what way am I (and she) not commiting a felony? Will the BATF(E) give me a note or something saying its alright?

If I found such a firearm, more than likely, I would cut it up with a torch and spread the pieces around in the trash over a period of weeks or include parts of it with scap metal to be recycled. Risking serious jail time is not an option.

Thompsons

Well, out of the entire arsenal I managed to put 7 Thompsons away and they are still in my collection. I discovered x2 british proofed and marked "tommy Gun" 1928 A1's and 3 PAIRS of consequtive numbered M1a1's and 1 New York adress 1928 a1.
The adventure cost me quiet a bit and unfortunately had to sell the last mentioned lot to be able to afford to keep the 7 guns.

Attachments

• 161004 a.jpg
    161004 a.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 161004 f.jpg
    161004 f.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Sig Tom 3.jpg
    Sig Tom 3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 235
I have heard dozens of those stories about how someone reported an unregistered machinegun to the feds and they were allowed to register the gun and keep it. That was SOMETIMES done 30 years ago. But the registry was closed to individuals in 1986, and it cannot and WILL NOT be done today.

I have also heard dozens of stories about police who have a hoard of unregistered machineguns and say it is legal because they are a cop or a deputy sheriff or a village constable or a meter maid. Nope. The law makes NO exceptions for individual cops, only for police departments.

Even departments are subject to scrutiny these days. One sheriff in the South ordered 55 submachineguns for his department. Except that the department had only five deputies; the sheriff was passing out the guns to those who chipped in big bucks to his campaign fund. He went to federal prison, and quite a few "big shots" almost joined him. The guns were seized.

Jim

Thompsons

Well, I guess they are an investment.
But in honest sincerity, I can tell you that this is not what drives me.
I love the sense of history I got from the adventure; I live in Europe of course and have have been a gun nut for always. I had an uncle who lived in then USA who was an nfa dealer. He used to send me photos and stories and all this just fired up my boyhood enthusiasm. When I grew up came across one or two thompsons. About % years ago, I came across reports of parts kits released from ww2 arsenals in eastern europe. Having been in the business of collecting and also connected with the various collector organisations, one way or the other I traced some of these transactions. I got myself an introduction and travelled to examine , sort and buy for myself and other parties.
Well, what can I say ! I ended up in a state that had been right in the centre of the Axis retreat at the end of ww2. The local history is still very much alive and I daresay, sentiment from that turbulent time runs high still. Saw some amazing private collections, but of course what floored me were the cases of brand new thompsons still in cosmoline.

... the cases of brand new thompsons still in cosmoline.

One legend is that our European allies did not want to bother with the logistics of odd American caliber ammunition. For a SMG they'd rather have a STEN or Axis takeover 9mm.

Thompsons

Its not clear why the Thompsons were handed over to the Russians with little or no 45 acp ammo. One rumor hints at the fact that by 1945 things were soured up enough between the US and Russia that the ammo was deliberately witheld. Difficult to say for sure.
I looked into as many crates as I could and poured over a few serial lists of a few thousand guns and one can safely assume that most of the guns were late manufacture. Those that were not bore US arsenal re-work markings.
This would suggest that these guns were handed over very very late in the war.
The historical aura around this discovery is simply fascinating.
Enough said that the area where I viewed the crates is right by where all the legends of nazi gold, counterfeit money, nuclear research (heavy water) dumped in lakes are centered. Including eyewitness accounts of the Ustasha infamy when large numbers of Ustasha men women and children running from the advancing Russian army committed suicide by throwing themselves into the river after having been betrayed by allied deals for safe passage. I could go on and write endless posts.

all very important history too schatz

I know there must still be many WWII mysteries unsolved and mainly some fortunes still collecting dust somewhere(known and unknown). I never knew about the amnesty, but I think another amnesty would be good for most parties involved. Both of my Grandpas were in WWII. One was on a vessel that was sunk and on an island that was occupied and/or taken over by the japenese. My dad has the records and letters to my great-grandparents, so I'll get more info before speaking further. The info given so far is obviously very vague. My mom's dad was a 28yr sailor, and the german uboats put a scare thru him that he never forgot. He taught me about 'suicide alley' too. You spoke about some tragic events - turning against their own jewish german citizens who had fought for their country in WWI is another example.

I no longer have to play "what if" on this kind of question. Recently, I've gotten back into construction/contracting on homes. One lady's house that I was remodeling, I found a Reising SMG in the bathroom wall behind the tiles (it was rusted, but intact)

I immediately called the local PD, who sent a couple of very helpful officers over, who took photos, made sure of my story, made sure I didn't touch it before calling, etc. They had a local BATFE field agent come over, who then took the SMG with her. She ran the numbers or whatever they do, and it came up as stolen property. Property got returned, I got in no trouble. Story over.

What's nice is that implicitly, they were telling me that if it were registered with no legal owner currently or heirs lined up, I would have been able to keep it by paying a $200 tax. The big difference in this case is that the owner was still alive, and that it had been stolen years and years before.

I've yet to have any bad experience with the BATFE, and I've dealt with them a few times a year for a while now. :)

Back