What if you buy a stolen gun? Would appreciate input from FFL holders

Per ATF, non-licensees are not required to keep paperwork on firearm transfers. There is nothing they can do to you. You bought the gun legally under federal and local gun laws. You had no way of telling it was stolen.

The simple answer to this problem is for ATF/.gov to allow civilians access to NCIS computers to run gun serial numbers. It can be set up similar to the FFL EZ Check for checking dealer licenses. The state of Florida already does this ( Stolen Guns Search ), but it is needed on a federal level.

stolen firearms

it's best to get some kind of ID even when you're selling a gun because one I sold was used in a robbery and when the cops came to my house I had saved the info on any guns I bought or sold this was before the days before everything had to go through FFL

The simple answer to this problem is for ATF/.gov to allow civilians access to NCIS computers to run gun serial numbers. It can be set up similar to the FFL EZ Check for checking dealer licenses. The state of Florida already does this ( Stolen Guns Search ), but it is needed on a federal level.

I, for one, certainly hope this never happens.

I don't think serial numbers are in the NICS system.

Then whatever national computer system they are in.

I, for one, certainly hope this never happens.

You don't want people to be able to check for guns to see if they are stolen? The list is already there. Care to elaborate why?

Then whatever national computer system they are in.

You don't want people to be able to check for guns to see if they are stolen? The list is already there. Care to elaborate why?

There is no "national" database of firearms serial numbers, as far as I know. Such a thing would be tantamount to federal registration of firearms, which is prohibited (so far) by the Constitution of the United States.

But there is a database of stolen firearms. And that is all we would need access to in order to keep from buying a stolen gun. That would not be any kind of registration at all.

I just spent 30 minutes on the net looking for a way to I.D. stolen Firearms.

There are numerous methods, all within the local area. No National or single source.

It seems the best bet would be to convey the Make Model and SSN of said Firearm to a FFL and request a check. They can access the NCIS system.

It seems using your local Authorities is the best but not all conclusive.

I see one of the problems we have with gun control laws. :rolleyes: One very pro-gun enthusiast bring up an idea to check for stolen guns and is immediately shot down by another very pro-gun enthusiast. :confused: We spend so much time debating among ourselves that the brady bunch :barf: doesn't have to do a whole lot. :)

A few posters on here have mentioned that the NICS system has stolen guns on file.

The system that has the stolen gun file is the NCIC- National Crime Information Center.
Here is the info on it... http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

Jet's beat me to it.
NICS = National Instant Check System
NCIC = National Crime Information Center

Different purposes. NCIC does contain information on stolen guns with serial numbers (also cars, boats, planes, computers and other serialized or other uniquely identifiable items). Plus it has other information for LE use only.

Since NCIC is supposed to contain information about stolen or missing property that is reported to police I see nothing wrong with using it. If a system exists to tap into only gun information that will tell you the gun is not stolen (or if it is, give you the date, reporting agency and case number so you can refer it to the local PD) then this would help recover stolen guns.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I have nothing against gun shows---I even bought a gun (about 40yrs ago) at a gun show. But anymore I'm nervous in my old age. I won't buy any firearm from anyone except my "favorite gun store." We have a pawn shop near here, is an FFL dealer. I won't go there. I suspect a pawn shop might be a good place to to drop a stolen gun. So I'll not buy a gun anywhere except my gun store (actually, two gun stores) even if I have to pay a bit more. Years ago I did buy a gun from an individual, a friend who worked with me. Also sold a gun to another friend I again worked with. Both of my stores are fussy (maybe more fussy than I am!) about what they take in trade, all of which makes me feel safer about buying a used gun from them.

My rules are simple
1- get other presons I.D.
2- keep records of when,who and how much.
3- if it feels wrong walk away.
4- always, always CYA

Back