What if you buy a stolen gun? Would appreciate input from FFL holders

Unregistered

I apparently bought a stolen gun at a gun show from a private seller. This was over a year ago, but I don't recall the date. I go to a lot of shows. The seller appeared legitimate. It was a private sale, person to person. He had rented a table, and was selling mainly gun related accessories, but had a couple of personal guns as well. I had been looking for one like he had, so I bought it. I have no idea of the sellers name.

A year or more later I became tired of the gun, and traded it at my regular gun store on a different gun. The gun store then sold the gun to someone else.

At some point after that sale, I guess someone must have run the serial number on the gun and found out that it was stolen. I am not sure who did this or why the trace was run. The ATF traced it back to the gun store I had sold it to. The gun store was contacted by the ATF about a month ago. I guess the store owners told the ATF I had traded it in. I have not been contacted by the ATF, and found out about all this when I went in to the store and bought another gun. I am a pretty regular customer there, and they know me pretty well. I trade with them a lot, and they know I am a legitimate person. The gun owner told me the story, and asked if I remembered where I bought that gun, and I told him about buying it at a gunshow. He didnt seem to think this was too big of a deal. I told him I had no idea it was stolen, and apologized. I asked him if he wanted me to reimburse him for it, and he said I had bought enough from them over the years not to worry about it, but I told him I wouldnt feel right about that, and we ended up settling on me paying him back half the amount he had allowed me when I traded it. I also bought a gun from the store while I was there.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Will the ATF contact me? I have no idea the name of the seller, and do not recall his face. I remember he was an older looking guy, but thats all. Its a dead end after me.

If the ATF contacts me how should I handle it?

I would have paid the gun store the whole amount if he had let me. Did I handle things OK by reimbursing him for half the trade allowance? That seemed like more than enough to the gun store guy but I still feel bad I sold them a gun with a bad history.

This kind of thing tends to make me nervous and paranoid. Is there anything else I need to do?

He could have demanded the entire amount, but you were both nice about it and you insisted he take something and he declined to take full value, and you made a settlement. No problem. You haven't done anything wrong, if the ATF calls you tell them where and when you got and all you remember, that's all you can do. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

There was no problem until the gun was sold (traded in) to a licensed gun dealer.

Lesson: Never sell a gun! Once you get it... keep it! If you're runnibg short of storage space... enlarge your storage area! Never sell a gun!

I am beginning to agree

I am beginning to agree with oldphart. I have bought and sold/traded so many guns in the last 10 years that it is hard to tell how many I would have if I would just hold on to the ones I have and save to buy other ones. The thing is, I usually regret selling them shortly after I do it, so I am not sure why I continue the nightmare!

lg_mouth

I am still not sure what would have prompted to check and see if the serial number was on a stolen list. Do FFL's generally do this when they take in a gun? I got the impression the check was done after the FFL resold the gun, but I am not sure who did it.

Yes, you might be contacted by BATFE regarding the gun, but just explain howyou legally purchased it to the best of your recollection.

Any time I purchased a private party gun, prior to CA requring all purchases to go through an FFL, I would ask the seller if he had any objection to filling out a bill of sale. If he did, no sale. I suggest the same procedure just to CYA.

I think you did the right thing with your local dealer too. You helped reduce his "loss" and he helped you by taking only a partial payment (so you sill have money to buy guns).

Missed that, but we don't know that the store did not reimburse the purchaser. The store and the OP were in the chain of recourse back to a non-innocent seller.

The FFL probably made a Buck on the sale, so a split isn't out of line. You did OK IMO FWTW.
I was initially going to blast ya about not remembering more about a purchase, then did some contemplating about some I have and struggled w/the year. But I would think whoever organized the show would have record of table's rented.
I venture to say there wasn't any serious fowl play with that gun or you would have been visited.
How old was said gun?
Is it a FFL's responsibility to refund in this situation? or just good business?

The gun was an out of production revolver.
It certainly was not the type of gun a criminal would likely want... it was single action with a barrel somewhere around 6.5 inches.

I am glad you don't but a lot of people do, and I was hoping to get opinions from them.

I am not sure how an ID and bill of sale would prevent this problem though. I don't know a fake ID from a real ID, and I can only take someone's word that the gun is not stolen and that they are who they say they are.

You will not likely be visited by the BATFE. If they do call and set up an appointment, usually at your home, it's no big deal. They are punching the ticket on that investigation. They will be polite and thank you for your time when you have answered all their questions.

Even at risk of missing a good deal, I insist on writing down the serial number and flagging down a deputy somewhere and have them run the number as if they would on a traffic stop... If it comes back clean I feel safe to buy the gun with or with out a bill of sale...
Brent

set up an appointment, usually at your home,

I don't mean to be argumentative or anything, but... WRONG!!!

If the BATFE needs to meet with me, we can do it at their offices or a neutral location. They are a govt. agency. Their jobs are to: A) Decide what's illegal with regard to firearms, and B) find illegal activity involving said firearms.

No representative of their office is capable of entering your home without looking for a problem. They already know that you sold a stolen firearm. Now you want to invite them in for coffee?

I have had a home visit from BATF about a gun that I bought from a dealer that wound up inside some yellow tape someplace.

They called several days in advance, were on time, asked if I knew who I sold the gun to. No, I did not. It was a gun show and buyer had a drivers license and a CCW permit. I did not know him or get his name. They thanked me and left.

Given the choice, I have more control over the situation in my home than under cameras in their interview room.

I don't think you have any worries. I have purchased a few items at gun shows, most of which I could not give the date for. I could however tell you if it was Bill Goodman's show or Bob Pope's show (the two that are local to me). Only once have I been asked to provide ID that proved state residency. I would not worry about being contacted by the BATFE. Gun thieves tend to pawn guns not trade them. They have probably already run your history and decided that you do not fit their profile and are probably not even a 'person of interest'. I am not an FFL holder but hope that helps anyway.

Back