What I, as a new Glock owner, do NOT like about Glock

krept

Just my opinion here, but I think I have a legitimate beef...

Why On Earth did Gaston make the magazine floorplate so @*&!% difficult to remove?

After returning with a NIB G27, I LITERALLY spent 30 minutes reading and rereading the instruction manual on how to remove the floorplate. Instructions state to set floorplate down on a table, at an angle and squeeze the magazine walls inward (yes, the steel lined ones) to unseat the floorplate from the little retaining protrusions on the magazine body. Push down, squeeze in and voila! It's off according to the manual.

Riiight...

After feeling like a weakling (and I'm a big guy) I went to the toolbox and got a wrench to slightly squeeze inward on the magazine walls... no luck. Defeated, I posted a query about the SOP for this and found that I was not alone. Apparently, one is supposed to use a disassembly tool to remove it. And Glock expected us to know this by how??

I truly have no idea whatsoever why it was designed this way. All other magazines I have had contact with (including assault rifles) I can break down no problemo. For some reason, I feel Glock really blew it when not only they designed the floorplate the way they did, but when they posted disassembly instructions to "squeeze inward with your thumb and forefinger" on a steel lined mag.

Just had to get that off my chest. For you Glockers that can disassemble the mags without tools - kudos, BIG TIME.

I know, I know. It isn't necessary to clean the magazines but once a thousand rounds or so, but I still like to make sure EVERYTHING is well maintained on all of my equipment.

Rant off...

I've always thought...

...that the mag disassembly routine was some kind of penance for the easy field-stripping of the pistol itself. (I don't exactly have "Kung-Fu Grip", especially post accident)

Not quite as bad as the time I had a full-length guide rod installed on a 1911 without A) Thinking what this might make different about the pistol's dissassembly, or B) Sticking around and having the gunsmith demo the Exciting New Features.

What are you, kidding? I've had 5 glocks, and the floor plates were all easy enough. Push in pin with a screwdriver and pull off, how hard is that?

I have a Glock 19 and HAVE owned almost a dozen more through the years---still might get a 30, I do like that gun.
But what I dislike about Glock is:
1) grip angle
2) magazine design
3) lack of a real slide release

Using a punch or Allen wrench, etc., of the appropriate size, push in the button on the bottom until it feels that it's broken. Then squeeze the sides in and remove the floorplate. (You might want to get the floorplate started by pressing against a table edge)

You guys make it sound so easy...

I sure feel dumb/weak/inept right now.
I've had probably 2000 rounds go through my Glock and I have yet to remove the floor of my mags.

All the rest of you guys have been able to do it with just normal tools?
Allen wrench and that's it?

I have a hard time believing that.
My muscles must be too puny :p

I agree that the instructions in the manual for removing the floorplate are rediculous and impossible, for me at least, to preform. I get them off by depressing the plunger and then use my teeth and jaw to slide off the plate, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

The worst thing about the Glock IMO is... factory
sights are too large to get a decent sight picture.
The U shaped white outline on the rear sight is awkward
to use, at least for me.
My vote for best factory sights on a pistol are the
Sig's

The trick is you have to upend or turn sideways the flat piece plastic (don't you just love plastic when talking about handgun parts) that sets inside the bottom of magazine (the piece with the button on you are supposed to depress while you squeeze and slide) rather than merely depressing the button--this will allow you to squeeze sides of the magazine together and slide the floorplate off. Take a punch and angle toward the front or the side of the magazine and push it as far as you can--you should be able to feel it flip up and button will no longer be in the hole in the floorplate.

When I owned an M20, I had the same problem. I solved it by purchasing a small C-clamp. Attach and tighten the c-clamp (not too much!!!) before you depress the magazine floorplate pin. This will allow the floorplate to slide right off.

Take a punch or allen wrench and push in the pin in the bottom of the floorplate (just shove it in there all the way). *leave the punch or allen wrench there...don't take it out*. Now, grip the punch or allen wrench in your fingers, brace your thumb on the body of the magazine, and *pull* the punch sideways in the direction the floorplate needs to go. It will come right off.

No pinching or sqeezing necessary. Now, the *old* magazines before they put the pin in were a pain in the butt. :)

You are in big trouble for posting something uncomplementary about Glocks.. oohhhhh are you going to get it. Didn't you learn anything from the "glock perfection.." post.

tsk

tsk

shiro,

Well...

I must be odd, because I've never had a problem removing the floor plate with nothing more than a disassembly tool.

Yes, I use a disassembly tool. Sure, you can use an allen wrench or even a de-fuzzled q-tip, but if the end of your make-shift tool isn't rounded over, you will dent and mar that precious little plastic 'button'. And we all know how painful that can be...

No offense, but if this is a new pistol with new magazines, then why would you want to break them apart? They really don't need to be cleaned very often if at all. I've been shooting Glocks for years and have never had trouble breaking down the mags regardless of what type of floorplate they have.

Taking apart the mags is EASY....

...but a little tricky. I had exactly the same problem, and even posted here about it a long ago. Take the mag into your hand, base down; push the base retaining pin in with anything that is aprox. its size (so you won't marr it); and simultaneously push HARD the back corner of the base against a table AT AN ANGLE (...you have to figure out the correct angle, it is easy to do but difficult to explain) so the table will only push against the base and not the mag body. It will come right off, no need to squeeze the sides, no sweat; it takes about 5 seconds and you'll probably feel like a moron afterwards (I did!!).
Now, things I don't like about my Glock 23:
- Oversize chamber with a large unsupported area (I use reloads!!).
- Grip angle a bit steep.
- Trigger pull (it's OK if you only shoot Glocks, but not if you are spoiled by other makes).
- Mag release not very positive.
- Slide release a bit small and flimsy (but mine works OK).
- Plastic sights.
On the positive side, it's light, compact, powerful, has large mag capacity (I don't live in USA, Ha!!!), it's a very simple design, good corrosion protection, and it's plenty strong, accurate and super reliable.

Belial-

I'm just guessing here, but I'll bet ole' Krept wanted to put his new Finger extensions ;)

Of course, then there's the "just because" reason... Every time I buy a new gun, the first thing I do is whip out the ole' cleaning kit, the owners manual, and completely disassemble, clean, lube per instructions, and reassemble. I would never own a gun I didn't know how to take apart/put back together...

Be nice to Krept, he's old :D

Yeah, like Krept, I also fumbled around with removing the bottom of my magazine. I did so to install a Pearce grip extender.

Honestly, I didn't even know that there were instructions for this operation (step 2, read the instructions). Nevertheless, I was successful after some obscene mutterings.

Tom

Back